All reviewshacienda puerta del cielomasaya volcanoother guestsactive volcanothe owneroutdoor showerzip liningtour guideevery mealbeautiful countryhoneymoon suiteeco lodgeoff the beaten pathdirt roadone of a kindnatural beautynational park
Reviewed September 7, 2017 via mobile

If you like to be treated like family, then this is the place for you!

If you're looking for serenity and spectacular views, then this is the place for you!

If you want a stress-free vacation, then this is the place for you!

Our 3 night stay was nothing less than amazing. We were upgraded to the honeymoon suite as it was available during our stay. Personally, I think that is one of the best moves any hotel can do. Don't tell guests they can upgrade for a fee, just do it!

We had transfers and excursions scheduled and all went smoothly as planned. Adrian, one of the sweetest guys you'll ever meet in your life, always made sure we were taken care of wherever we went. Thank you Adrian!

A huge thumbs up to JC and all his staff (including Barbie and Lalo)!

Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2017

I just returned from a 4 night trip to Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo (my first trip alone), and let me tell you, it was amazing! First off, planning the trip was a breeze because Linda and JC were so helpful over email, they replied back quickly to all my questions and were so detailed in their responses that I knew they would be just as detail-oriented during my stay. I booked a round-trip airport transfer and I was picked up immediately at the airport by Adrian without any hitches. As a warning, I really don't recommend renting a car because its an 1hr+ drive and nearly impossible in the dark, the last 20 min by car is extremely rough and not on paved roads so I doubt your car will handle that well.

I arrived at the hotel at 10pm so couldn't see much of the hotel once I arrived, but when I took the first step out of my casita the next morning, it was breathtaking! The view is amazing, and having your meal out on the terrace with the view is a huge treat. It appeared that the last guests were leaving that morning... and I had the entire resort to myself for my entire trip! Turns out JC had upgraded me to the honeymoon suite since I was the only guest (Score!), and it has its own patio with hammocks and direct access to the pool. The meals were great and the staff was amazing. Even though there was only one guest, they were always working and very attentive. I had the most interaction with Adrian, Oscar, and the owner JC - they were all very sweet. JC is extremely personable and friendly, and his recommendations are never off! He always checked in on me to see how I was doing, and always worried that I might feel bored or lonely since I was the only one there (but I assured him I was having an amazing time).

I decided to do 2 excursions, the Masaya Volcano at night and the tour of Granada. I highly recommend both! Adrian was my ride and my guide for both and he was very nice and accommodating, always smiling, and a safe driver. The Masaya volcano is super cool, you get to peer down the rim to see the flow of lava below. The tour of Granada included the boat tour of the islands and it was my favorite! Don't expect the islands to be 'beachy' islands. They're small lush green islands owned separately as a private home/restaurant. But you get to make pit stops at islands with monkeys that you can feed!

I spent one day relaxing at the resort, where I literally did nothing but laze around reading in the sun by the pool with a beer at hand. And eat great food!

So I can go on and on. But overall, my trip was amazing. The service was great. The views were phenomenal. I wish I had more time there. What more can you ask for! I truly recommend Hacienda Puerta del Cielo!

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed August 21, 2017

We stayed here for a week in August, and it was fantastic! The food was good, the service was excellent, and the views were out of this world. This is a small place with only like 8 casitas, so even if they're full it's still a small group of people, and when we arrived there were only like 4 other groups there, and after a few days just one, and by the end of our stay we were the only ones there, so really, we had the place to ourselves most of the time.

The service was really great, and J.C., the owner always made sure we were having a good time. He reminded us of Mr. Rourke on Fantasy Island. Adrian was our driver and tour guide and was fun and professional. Everyone was very flexible regarding our food preferences and activities.

During the day you can see the smoke coming from the Masaya volcano, and at night it glows orange. Some nights very brightly, and others less. We did a different tour every day and they were all great, but my top recommendation is the Masaya Volcano night tour, and the Mombacho Cloud Forest Hike + Zip Line. The only one I might skip would be the Chocoyero Rain Forest hike only because it takes 2 hours to get there and 2 hours back, and it's a very short and not horribly interesting hike for the trouble. The Islets Boat Tour was also a highly recommended one. The markets in the various cities are interesting for about 5 minutes, but you quickly realize that all the tienditas are selling the exact same things, and most of it is tourist junk. Occasionally, you'll see a real artist selling something of value, but that's literally like 1 in 40.

The only complaint I would have is that the road thru Masatepe and then up to the Hacienda is pretty rough. You get pretty beat up every time you leave and return to the Hacienda, and there's a lot of garbage scattered around. Once you get to the Hacienda, however, you're in paradise. You definitely do NOT want to try getting to the Hacienda on your own! Don't rent a car and don't take a taxi. Use the hotel's airport pickup service. A rental car probably won't make it in one piece, and as one of the other guests told us, their taxi drive got totally lost and couldn't find the place.

Like I said, we went in August which I think was a good time to go. It's not that hot up where the Hacienda is, and the occasional rain didn't hinder our plans at all. The pool is perfect, and everything is green. Best of all, it's the slow season so things aren't as crowded as they are in the dry, busy season.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2017

Our family of four stayed at Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo for 3 nights over the March Break. From our first engagement with Linda we were treated professionally and her advice and instructions for our flight and transfer to the hotel were perfect. The setting is spectacular and photos don't do it justice. Where else can you wake up and have a view of the moon, a lake and an active volcano smouldering on the horizon.
We had our two boys aged 12 and 14 with us and our hosts treated us incredibly well. Adrian, Oscar, Ruth, Eric and Jason were tremendous and made us feel at home from the moment we arrived Adrian and Eric were fantastic tour guides and we were thrilled to visit the volcano, a local bird sanctuary and the local market. Jason is a great chef and the food was excellent.

We would highly recommend this resort and appreciated the hard work the staff put in to make us feel so welcome in their country. Linda has a great team and a beautiful resort.

• Stayed: March 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Russ N
Reviewed June 28, 2017

The hotel, the view, the service, absolutely everything is undervalued. The pictures alone DO NOT give it justice. Just getting to the hotel is a sight for sore eyes. The service is impeccable. I would like to personally thank Katherine, Oscar, Adrian, and Ruth for making my stay at the hotel one of the most memorable experiences in my life. They are a very attentive staff that want to make sure you have every need attended to. The hotel, the architecture alone is brilliant. The view is what makes everything worth while about your trip to Nicaragua. At night the Volcan Masaya is your night light. For what its worth, the rates are a bargain for what this paradise has to offer. It really is Nicaragua's hidden gem.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled with family