All reviewshacienda puerta del cielomasaya volcanoother guestsactive volcanothe owneroutdoor showerzip liningtour guideevery mealbeautiful countryhoneymoon suiteeco lodgeoff the beaten pathdirt roadone of a kindnatural beautynational park
Reviewed August 21, 2017

We stayed here for a week in August, and it was fantastic! The food was good, the service was excellent, and the views were out of this world. This is a small place with only like 8 casitas, so even if they're full it's still a small group of people, and when we arrived there were only like 4 other groups there, and after a few days just one, and by the end of our stay we were the only ones there, so really, we had the place to ourselves most of the time.

The service was really great, and J.C., the owner always made sure we were having a good time. He reminded us of Mr. Rourke on Fantasy Island. Adrian was our driver and tour guide and was fun and professional. Everyone was very flexible regarding our food preferences and activities.

During the day you can see the smoke coming from the Masaya volcano, and at night it glows orange. Some nights very brightly, and others less. We did a different tour every day and they were all great, but my top recommendation is the Masaya Volcano night tour, and the Mombacho Cloud Forest Hike + Zip Line. The only one I might skip would be the Chocoyero Rain Forest hike only because it takes 2 hours to get there and 2 hours back, and it's a very short and not horribly interesting hike for the trouble. The Islets Boat Tour was also a highly recommended one. The markets in the various cities are interesting for about 5 minutes, but you quickly realize that all the tienditas are selling the exact same things, and most of it is tourist junk. Occasionally, you'll see a real artist selling something of value, but that's literally like 1 in 40.

The only complaint I would have is that the road thru Masatepe and then up to the Hacienda is pretty rough. You get pretty beat up every time you leave and return to the Hacienda, and there's a lot of garbage scattered around. Once you get to the Hacienda, however, you're in paradise. You definitely do NOT want to try getting to the Hacienda on your own! Don't rent a car and don't take a taxi. Use the hotel's airport pickup service. A rental car probably won't make it in one piece, and as one of the other guests told us, their taxi drive got totally lost and couldn't find the place.

Like I said, we went in August which I think was a good time to go. It's not that hot up where the Hacienda is, and the occasional rain didn't hinder our plans at all. The pool is perfect, and everything is green. Best of all, it's the slow season so things aren't as crowded as they are in the dry, busy season.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2017

Our family of four stayed at Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo for 3 nights over the March Break. From our first engagement with Linda we were treated professionally and her advice and instructions for our flight and transfer to the hotel were perfect. The setting is spectacular and photos don't do it justice. Where else can you wake up and have a view of the moon, a lake and an active volcano smouldering on the horizon.
We had our two boys aged 12 and 14 with us and our hosts treated us incredibly well. Adrian, Oscar, Ruth, Eric and Jason were tremendous and made us feel at home from the moment we arrived Adrian and Eric were fantastic tour guides and we were thrilled to visit the volcano, a local bird sanctuary and the local market. Jason is a great chef and the food was excellent.

We would highly recommend this resort and appreciated the hard work the staff put in to make us feel so welcome in their country. Linda has a great team and a beautiful resort.

• Stayed: March 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Russ N
Reviewed June 28, 2017

The hotel, the view, the service, absolutely everything is undervalued. The pictures alone DO NOT give it justice. Just getting to the hotel is a sight for sore eyes. The service is impeccable. I would like to personally thank Katherine, Oscar, Adrian, and Ruth for making my stay at the hotel one of the most memorable experiences in my life. They are a very attentive staff that want to make sure you have every need attended to. The hotel, the architecture alone is brilliant. The view is what makes everything worth while about your trip to Nicaragua. At night the Volcan Masaya is your night light. For what its worth, the rates are a bargain for what this paradise has to offer. It really is Nicaragua's hidden gem.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank Daniela J
Reviewed June 21, 2017

I have to say my trip to Nicaragua was a wonderful experience. I stayed seven nights at Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo in Masatepe. They really took care of us (my daughter and me), we did not have to worry about anything (airport transfers, tours, the food was AMAZINGGGGG including desserts). If you are looking for a place to relax and meditate, this is the place. The spectacular views specially at night time when you can watch the smoke from the active volcano (Volcan Masaya), this was a unique experience. Great service, great staff, great food.

Room Tip: Any room is good for the spectacular views
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 31, 2017 via mobile

From the moment we arrived my wife and I were instantly impressed by the sheer scope and natural beauty. Truly breathtaking vistas of the surrounding volcanoes and lagoon. We were well taken care of by the amazing and attentive staff. Oscar, Adrian, Katherine, Eric and Ruth (our talented Chef) were very accommodating to our needs and the meals (mostly nicaraguan) were delicious. Highly recommended the "volcan" at the bar. We were also lucky to meet J.C (owner) during our stay as he had tons of stories, excursion recommendations and went out of his way to make us feel at home. Also would like to thank Linda for prepping us for our adventures and relaxing spa treatment. My wife and I can't wait to come back to this paradise.

Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple