All reviewshacienda puerta del cielomasaya volcanoother guestsactive volcanothe owneroutdoor showerzip liningtour guideevery mealbeautiful countryhoneymoon suiteeco lodgeoff the beaten pathdirt roadone of a kindnatural beautynational park
Reviewed March 22, 2017

My Mom and I booked this trip as a much needed ladies getaway and after 7 nights, we still weren't ready to leave! The staff is amazing. They're all such wonderful people who felt like family by the end of the trip and it was sad to say goodbye!
The meals were all delicious and beautifully prepared. It was fun dining with other guests and making new friends.

We did 3 excursions, one spa day which left us with two down days at the Hacienda. It's so easy to relax by the pool with a book while sipping on a cool beverage of your choosing and forget that time is passing. The evening trip to Masaya is a must see. The active volcano is an amazing sight not to be missed. We also did the Mombacho Cloud Forest hike with the zip line tour which was quite fun! Lastly we went to Laguna de Apoyo - a beautiful crater lake with very warm water! We kayaked, swam and went paddle boarding.

As other reviews suggest, the Hacienda is very secluded. For us, that was the beauty of it. We didn't need anything else. Incredible views, amazing staff, and delicious food & drinks.....what more could you want?!

• Stayed: March 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank Laura S
Reviewed March 5, 2017

My friend and I were looking for a someplace to stay for a week to "unplug" in Nicaragua. After scouring trip advisor - I found my winning location! The Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo!

We stayed for 7 nights and absolutely loved it. We booked all travel/excursions through Linda/JC the owners of the Hacienda. Linda was SO helpful and informative pre trip.

The staff: They make you feel as if you're part of a community and really went above and beyond. Adrian is the resident tour guide. He is amazing, so friendly and goes out of his way to accommodate the guests. Ruth was super sweet! We always looked forward to talking with her during the day. Stacy and Eric were really nice as well! Oscar was our driver to/from the airport and got us around safely. JC, the owner was on property while we were there and really made our trip as well! He has so many stories and is more than happy to share them. The rest of the staff, especially the ladies in the kitchen that we didn't see as much were amazing as well!

The Casitas - Very spacious. AC worked like a dream. You have your own minibar. Showers had good pressure and lots of hot water. You will wake up with the sun/nature. I loved it! Only note would be that our casita only had one hammock, so we more often hung out by the pool so we could both lounge.

The food - AMAZING! I was never disappointed by a meal and had some of the best dishes ever here. I will say that there were a few times I was hungry (as I always am) and I brought some snacks with me from home which came in handy.

Grounds - the view from the pool is amazing and all of the common areas are extremely comfortable/ascetically appealing and in good working order.

Excursions -
Granada - Tons of fun. I would have liked more time to walk around/shop OR check out the cigar museum. Felt like the day was rushed. Also, didn't love the lunch stop. The food was good, but would've liked something less touristy.

Chocoyero- Did not love our nature guide. After a few days of lounging, I was looking for a good hike and didn't get it on this tour. It was okay - but didn't blow me away.

Cloud forest/coffee plantation - LOVED this tour. The hike around the cloud forest was strenuous and beautiful. We opted out of having a guide after the Chocoyaro experience. We may have missed out on a few things, but loved it other than that! The coffee plantation was informative and super tasty.

Volcano Masaya & Folk music dance festival - the Volcano was amazing! This is a can't miss. The folk music dance festival was alright. It was alright a bit later than we were used to staying up during the week. The food and drinks were not great, so by the time it got to dancing a bit later we weren't in the mood.

Overall, loved the trip!

• Stayed: February 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed 3 nights here before traveling down to the beach on the pacific. Their driver Oscar picked us up promptly at the Managua airport and drove safely on the remote and rough roads to the resort. Our casita was great (we had the largest room right off the pool). The view is out of this world!! You can see the volcano glowing each night!! Meals were all excellent. JC and the rest of the staff - Ruth, Adrian and Eric were lovely. We did 1 tour to Granada which I would recommend (although I wish we had more time to explore the city on our own). If you want a remote beautiful location I would highly recommend! We also stopped at 2 of the local preschools to drop off some items we brought which was another highlight of the trip.

Stayed: February 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2017

Truly the most gracious hosts I have ever experienced. The staff is well cared for and it shows in their dedication and hospitality. A one in a million place and definitely a big part of my unforgettable trip to Nicaragua. Fantastic views, beautifully designed individual "casitas", and excellent food and beverage.

Thank you JC and team for your warm welcome!

• Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2017

Top notch place. Incredible setting and views of Masaya Volcano and Lake. Sketchy access road. 4 wheel advised but a good SUV in dry weather will make it. Wonderful host and attentive and friendly staff. Spending time with JC, a native Nica, is almost worth the price of admission. Private casitas. Be prepared for an isolated location. Having a car was very helpful. But they will 'arrange' to drive you anywhere.

Room Tip: No bad rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2017, traveled as a couple