“Go Now!”

Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Masatepe
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 9, 2014

You can't go wrong booking a stay at Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo. From the moment you arrive you will feel welcomed by the friendly staff and that feeling will continue throughout your stay. I had a great time on my recent solo trip there and it's because a) it is a beautiful place, in a beautiful setting b) they take care of everything and make life easy, including setting up great day trips for you and c) everyone that works there is super friendly and helpful. The atmosphere of the place is relaxed and it's easy to hang out at the bar in the evening with the other guests and staff and enjoy the local beer or whatever your heart desires. Lionel is an excellent tour guide and makes the excursions fun and easy. I definitely recommend doing them all as they add a lot to the trip. If you are looking for a place to slow down, hang out with fun, interesting people, and see the nearby sights this is the perfect place. Get a casita and take advantage of the outdoor shower and private porch complete with hammock and a table to rest a cold drink. Ahhhhhh, I miss it already.

Room Tip: Go for a casita. You won't regret it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Touching down into snowy Boston all I could think was that I wish I was still back at the Hacienda. My girlfriend and I had an amazing vacation! I can't say enough about the service we received from JC and the rest of the staff. We loved hanging out with everyone and just chatting in the beautiful lounge area. My girlfriend even learned a little Spanish!

Tony and Deborah were the other guests at the Hacienda during our stay. We really enjoyed meeting them and it was nice to have another couple around who clearly shared our interests! Tony and I took an amazing hike while the women lounged by the pool. If you are up for it there are all sorts of trails and hikes around the property and the lake below it. Some trails are very challenging but others are great for getting some exercise. Definitely make sure to bring some water as it gets very hot in Nicaragua!

I wanted too see lake Nicaragua and do some fishing during my stay. Although that was not one of the hotels planned excursions JC made sure to arrange a trip for us. I definitely didn't catch the biggest fish in the lake but it was great being out on the water. And we were very happy to have Eric escorting us! Additionally JC took all of the guests and the staff to a town called Masaya where we watched a performance by different dancers representing various regions of Nicaragua. By the end of night we were out all out there dancing!

I am someone who likes to stay busy on my vacation. Although the hotel is in a fairly remote location I felt there were enough excursions and activities to keep my trip interesting. I learned a lot about Nicaraguan culture and history and thoroughly enjoyed my trip. I hope we can get back to the hacienda again. I could not have asked for a better vacation.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jehmv
Reviewed March 4, 2014

My boyfriend and I just returned from our vacation at the hacienda. From reading all the other reviews we knew we would enjoy our vacation but the trip definitely exceeded all our expectations. JC and the rest of the staff offer unparalleled service and we enjoyed spending time with all of them. We also had a blast hanging with Deborah and Tony who were the other guests at the hacienda during our stay! The trip would not have been the same without them.

The rooms were great! We spent 4 nights in casa Bella and two nights in casa Linda. The rooms are spotless and updated. I was nervous about the bugs in Nicaragua and can honestly say I barely saw any critters in the entire hotel! Breakfast, lunch and dinner were included in our package and we enjoyed all of the meals. The fresh squeezed juice at breakfast and the chicken kabobs were our favorites!

We took the trip to mombacho cloud forest and absolutely loved it. Not only did we get a guided tour of the beautiful mountains but we zip-lined through the forest. We also went to Granada and did a fishing excursion. Our trip was good but if I could do it over I would probably take JC's suggested Granada tour.

For anyone traveling to Nicaragua I would highly recommend staying at the hacienda. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous and it's amazing to look out at the active volcano! If you are someone who likes to relax and take some low key adventures this is the place for you. We truly couldn't have asked for a better vacation.

Room Tip: We stayed in Casa Bella and Casa Linda (the Honeymoon suite). Both of the rooms were lovely. Casa Li...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jlsbos
Reviewed March 3, 2014

this is, by far, the longest review i’ve ever written, but we just got back from the hacienda puerta del cielo and we loved it. really loved it. we bet you will too. here’s why:

REASON #5 - SAFETY: we are an american couple in our mid 60’s and this was our first trip to nicaragua. like many newbies, we were just a wee bit apprehensive… did we need to worry about getting lost? or robbed? or bitten? nope :) from the minute the hacienda van picked us up till they dropped us back off at the airport five days later, we never knew an uneasy moment. a single woman traveling alone would feel completely safe staying here. in fact, we never even bothered to lock our door or use the room safe while we were there. and after the first day, we didn’t even use insect repellant: there were no mosquitos. (sunscreen, however, is a must.)

REASON #4 - ADVENTURE: we did two of the excursions offered by the hacienda: the masaya volcano and the mombacho rain forest & zipline. both were well organized, fascinating, and a good opportunity to see more of the countryside while getting local insight from the excellent guides. the picture below shows exactly how crazy-close you can get to the edge of an active volcano. and the mombacho zipline will scare the dickens out of you — but is actually very safe. when not touring, i delighted in reading in the hammock or lazing about the beautiful pool while my intrepid husband set out to explore: first hiking the dirt roads. then, with a hacienda guide, taking a strenuous rocky trail known only to locals. then… well, i’ll save that for the next paragraph.

REASON #3 - THE OTHER GUESTS: it’s probably safe to assume that other travelers to the hacienda are going to be interesting people you’d like, but we really lucked out meeting jen and jack. not only were they an absolutely delightful young couple, but jack partnered my beloved husband on his quest for an exciting off-trail adventure. meanwhile, back at the hacienda, jen and i swam, sunned, shared, and cerveza’d our way through a tranquil afternoon in paradise — thus reaffirming that women are indeed the more sensible gender… and proving that “the sisterhood” transcends age. what about the rugged adventurers? they had a great time: scrambling down cliffs, clambering over giant boulders, and generally horrifying the staff when they heard where they’d been. my advice? don’t do it. but if you must, be sure to tell jc where you’re going and maybe take someone from the hacienda with you.

REASON #2 - THE NICARAGUAN PEOPLE. everyone we met in nicaragua was gracious. from the officials at the airport, to the vendors in the market, to chance-met strangers on the road. nicaraguans are a handsome, warm-hearted people with innate dignity. and the staff at the hacienda is especially endearing. they are, by turns shy, whimsical, earnest and funny; they are unfailingly courteous and kind. thank you adrian, carla, catherine, eric, gloria elena, leonel, oscar, ricardo. and sayonara (i hope i didn’t forget anyone!) for helping to make it such a memorable vacation. ditto barbie, garfield, pookie & pooka. our sincere gratitude and heartfelt compliments to owner jc for his vision, attention to detail, conservation ethic, commitment to the local community — and for assembling a team of the best-possible goodwill ambassadors for nicaragua.

REASON #1 - THE EXPERIENCE: picture yourself… you’re on the final leg of the hour-long ride from the airport. you’re now four-wheeling through ruts, ridges, and a deep mud-wall canyons. you make the final turn to the hacienda — and straight into a scene from “lost horizon: a soaring wood entryway with a beautiful stonework terrace, framed by colorful flowers, overlooking a lagoon; a smoking volcano centered in the near distance. i think jen said it best: “the website photos just don’t do it justice.”

how could they? they can’t capture the grand scale of it. or the freshness of the air. or the light breeze that always keeps you comfortable. or the exotic birds trilling overhead. you think to yourself: “this is AMAZING”. shangi-la indeed.

after introductions and a delicious “welcome” rum drink, you’re shown to your room, and the experience just keeps getting better.

we sprang for the “honeymoon” room. it was fantastic; think jungle luxe. scrupulously clean, very comfy bed and wicked good shower in addition to the hot tub. but what i loved most about it was the sensation of sleeping outdoors. there are banks of floor to ceiling screen/doors on two sides, and oversized windows on the third. the wall paintings are magical. you go to sleep lulled by sweet smells and gentle breezes. you wake slowly in the morning not knowing where you are for a second, but knowing you are very, very content. you look out, through the flowers, to the smoking volcano directly ahead. and wherever you’re from, you know you’re “not in kansas anymore”, toto.

you get up, stretch in the sunshine, and amble past the wonderful serpentine swimming pool on your way to breakfast it’s hard not to dally and be caught up in the intriguing juxtaposition of the edgeless pool and the lagoon far below. hawks gyre in the sky between you and the volcano, over a primeval landscape.

but delicious coffee and a continuation of the panoramic view await you in the outdoor dining area. exotic juice or perfectly ripe fruit with a yogurt drizzle and a granola dusting are served with characteristic nicaraguan courtesy and warm smiles. there’s an omelet. or some sweet rolls. or maybe something else. but whatever is served, at whatever meal, it’s good. really good. fresh. pretty. plentiful. chicken, fish, beef, beans. rice. a great variety of local vegetables and fruit. i actually had a fruit i’d never had before: nispero. it’s wonderful and very sweet. just like my memories of nicaragua and the hacienda puerta del cielo.

- - - -

i’ll leave you here now. what you do after breakfast is up to you. but i truly envy you your choices.

some tips:

language: you don’t need to know or speak spanish while you’re at the hacienda, but it’s fun to try out that high school spanish you learned. and you can always download a free or cheap translation app on your phone to practice. “translation pro” ($2.99-?) worked great for us BUT you need either access to wifi or cellular for it to work realtime. one way around that, though, is to pre-translate with it (while sitting having a tona at the hacienda bar) & save anything you think you might need in the future.

wi-fi: wi-fi is available in many of the public areas around the hacienda, and it’s much easier to use email to stay in touch with home than phone calls (which would require either buying a local phone or risking nasty roaming charges.) jc may not thank me to telling you, but you can also get wifi in the room we stayed in (the "honeymoon room" ); it comes via jc’s private connection nearby.

exercise: you can walk into the nearby town (masatepe). it’s maybe a couple of miles, but it’s a strenuous walk/run. bring water and avoid the hottest part of the day. if you’re coming from snow up north, it’s probably best to give yourself a day to acclimate to the temperature. while it’s always pleasant at the hacienda, you may get a little dizzy hiking out in the tropical sun at first. pace yourself, ok?

shopping: they make and sell beautiful rocking chairs in masatepe: if you think you might want one, plan ahead. if you give them four days notice, they can disassemble and pack one up for you to bring back. you can also buy the wonderful hammocks you see all around the hacienda at the colorful marketplace (in an old fort) in masaya. if you take the volcano tour, the masaya marketplace is one of the stops. similarly, if you do the mombacho rain forest tour, you get to visit the artisan ceramic works at san juan de oriente. you can haggle over price if you must, but, frankly, it seems a little mean-spirited when you can get beautiful hand-crafted pottery for as little as $2 and a gorgeous vase for $8.

the tours: these are not your average “let’s move along now” tours. true, they are very educational and interesting in their own right, but equally so for what you can learn about the nicaraguan people. talk politics with the wonderful guides. watch the nicaraguan people as they go about their daily lives. yes, it’s a poor country, but it’s beautiful country with a rich cultural heritage and a measured, peaceful pace to life that wealthier countries should envy.

don’t miss: the outdoor massage (heavenly), the zipline (better than costa rica), looking at the stars at night (unlike anything up north), the thursday night festival in masaya (man, can the hacienda staff dance!), taking a dip in my favorite-ever pool every chance you get (your bathing suit will dry quickly). and, most of all, get to know your fellow travelers and the hacienda staff: they make a truly great thing ever better.

we picked the hacienda puerta del cielo based entirely on the reviews here on trip advisor: we hope you will too... because it really is as good as everyone says. and if the next visitor to the hacienda puerta del cielo hears “see you later alligator; in a while crocodile” from the staff, i take full credit :-)

complaints? absolutely none. suggestions? just two. soap dishes for the outdoor showers, and at least one lounge chair that can be fully flattened so you can tan you back more easily.

Room Tip: we can only report on the "honeymoon" suite where we stayed (casa linda, i think it's...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LymeFolks
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Is the location the atmosphere and the staff that brings me and my wife back to the Hacienda Puerta del cielo whenever we travel to Nicaragua; this mini hotel does provide a very niece and comfortable lodge experience in a natural hill site complementing the surrounding beauty. Certainly is not very easy to access the Hacianda located on the volcanic hills but when you arrive from Managua airport usually late at night you will be checked in with a swift and friendly process that includes a fresh tasty rum based welcome drink. The casita is where you sleep; the room is large, right for price, bed is comfortable, and all is very clean and new. The shower runs strongly and the hot water run properly ( a real luxury in Nicaragua). There is air conditioning in the room but you probably will not need it because you should leave the windows open to feel the cool mountain air. There are screens on the windows so no insects. We enjoy breakfast on the panoramic terrace hanging over the lake and looking at the volcanic mountains so close in front of you. We found food and drinks very reasonable. The staff does not speak much English but the owner JC is there at any time to help you with anything you may need. He and the super nice and excellent driver Eric did coordinate very well the logistic of our pick up and return to the airport and to any of the surrounding sites and cities we wanted to explore. Computer access is available around the veranda and bar and we never have problems contacting by email or telephone our family in the USA. The spa offers different types of relaxations (including a very good Margaritas) and professional massage. The infinity pool is small but offers a beautiful view of the valley. This eco lodge was ideal as the place to begin and end our vacation and avoid the usual anonymous city hotel. I wish JC had a similar place at the near pacific coast.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our third trip to the Hacienda and while a bit different from our last vacation here still excellent. The hosts are outstanding and we had a lot of fun going with them to a weekly music/dance evening in Masaya this year. Lots of fun and wonderful rum! Don't forget to try the local rum when you visit. Relaxing by the pool with the gorgeous view is soooo nice! The hammocks around the hacienda are great for that afternoon nap. The food is fresh and excellent with lots of local flavor. Weather is usually wonderful in January and we come home with a tan the envy of our friends. The casitas are private, roomy and very nice. We usually do not return to the same place every year, but we have made an exception with the Hacienda as it was our third year in a row. They make us feel like family coming back! Congrats to Linda and JC for a job well done.

Room Tip: We prefer the layout of the older casitas like Gaby, Cayo, etc.
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My spouse & I just returned from a 5 night stay. I can't say a whole lot more than what all of the other reviews have already stated. The service is great, the view is incredible and the food is good. Can't ask for much more while on vacation. I would have given an "excellent" review instead of "very good" except for the fact that my husband thought it was very nice but he wasn't completely blown away like some of the other reviewers. (I would rate the place an "A" and he said he gives it a B+).

Pros:
The staff is extremely friendly and eager to please and Leonel did a great job as tour guide. They watched after us on our excursions and I felt safe in their hands. JC and Leonel both speak excellent English and language was never an issue while at the hotel. A few of the employees did not speak very much English but they tried their best and it wasn't really an issue. I like the fact that it's a small hotel so that you get to make friends with other visitors. As a gay person travelling to another country there's always the fear of how you will be treated. Everyone at the hotel was very welcoming and it was never an issue for us. I thought all of the food was good.

Cons: If you don't take an excursion there's not much to do except lay by the pool or swing in a hammock. It's too far to walk in to town and it's not really pratical to get a taxi and there aren't any hiking trails to speak of - although you can walk down the road to the lake and back. I would recommend taking an excursion just to get out to see some other parts of the country.

Overall it was a very nice experience.

Room Tip: I booked through Expedia and didn't have the option of renting a Casita. Fortunately when we ar...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Masatepe
Jicaro Island Ecolodge Granada
#2 of 4 in Isletas de Granada
Barcelo Managua
Barcelo Managua
#9 of 50 in Managua

Been to Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa? Share your experiences!