We spent three amazing nights at this wonderful small hotel high above Laguna Masaya with views of the Masaya volcano smoking in the distance. The hotel is located several miles outside of the small town of Masaya on a very small rough unmarked road. I would highly recommend having the hotel pick you up at the airport. Not only are the roads not marked, but the last few miles are very rough and require a 4 wheel drive. The tours offered by the hotel are all excellent. Not only do they take you to some of the highlights of the area, but both Lionel and JC offer a perspective that you won't get while touring on your own. Not only can they provide translation if needed, but they can convey their personal experience during the Revolution that you may not read about in any book. JC went out of his way to make sure we were taken care of. For example, when I suggested a mirror above the sink for shaving, he had one installed the next day.
The setting and layout of the resort is incredible. We enjoyed a casita toward the end of the property that was quiet and peaceful. There is a hammock and two chairs on the porch to relax and read a book at the end of the day. There is air conditioning if you need to use it at night. The only slight annoyance was the sound of fireworks from the town of Masaya that seemed to bleed over many days after the New Years holiday. We discovered that in Masaya, they like to celebrate many holidays with fireworks.
Each night there was an appetizer at 5:30 and dinner around 7pm. Generally there is only one dish served each night. If you have any dietary restrictions, it is important to let JC know so that they can accommodate you. All of the meals were very well prepared by a local chef and served family style. We loved the trip to Mombacho Volcano. It included a coffee tour, hiking to an incredible viewpoint of Lake Nicaragua and a zipline tour with over 10 platforms. They added on a quick tour of the Pueblos Blancos where they showed us how they make pottery. The amount of manual labor that is involved in making one pot from beginning to end is amazing. Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo is a special place that was conceived and created by a man that loves detail and loves this country. If you stay here, you too will find out why there is much to love about Nicaragua.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover a green mountainside paradise in beautiful, sun-kissed Nicaragua. "Hacienda Puerta del Cielo Ecolodge & Spa" borders a protected national rainforest, teeming with colorful flora and fauna. Imagine yourself relaxing in a tropical pool overlooking a peaceful lagoon or meditating in a breezy hammock on your own private veranda. Explore the natural environment of our exclusive -adults only- boutique hotel and enjoy Ecotourism in luxury! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Hotel Masatepe
- Hacienda Puerta Del Cielo Eco Spa Nicaragua/Masatepe