“Thank all you”

Ayelen Hotel de Montana
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Los Penitentes
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I've been in Ayelén last week and I was very happy with what I found there. First, the rooms are much more spacious and better than they look like on the internet (the photos need to be replaced!). Second, the owners and management staff are very attentive and helpful. Third, and not least, I was very grateful for the way how Steve, the owner, helped me solve a serious health problem I had with my son. Unfortunately I could not contact him later to thank, I lost the hotel phone and the site does not have the contacts, but I hope this message gets to him to he know that I'm very grateful for that. I can say that Daniel, my son, is well because of your help. Thank you all, be in God!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank D_S_Dantas

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of an organised trek of Aconcagua with a group made up of people from Australia, England, Scotland and the USA. Not our choice - that was in the hands of the trek organisers - but there is no choice in Los Penitentes from what I can tell.

Now I've ended up rating this hotel as very good, but average or even below average is closer to the mark for the rooms themselves. Where it lifts itself is the public areas such as the dining room, the efforts of the new owner, the terrific food and wine, and I expect the bliss of bedding down there after 3 weeks in tents in the Andes (although I only stayed here on the way up, others in our group had a night there on the way back). I hope the owner will continue to spruce the place up to help justify my overall rating.

The rooms are old and very tired. I figure some are worse than others. We had a room with 3 single beds and rather a nice view. Time to charge up your camera batteries.

The food and wine were sensational. I'm not saying that in terms of comparison with camp food - they have a great chef and a respectable wine list. It was delicious and inventive. I hope the chef stays for the sake of the hotel owners.

The location is great - not only in terms of Aconcagua, but it is used as a ski resort in winter. It looks pretty in the snow. Aconcagua trekers will of course only see it in summer.

As I say, the rooms are by no means brilliant, but it is what it is, on the way to Aconcagua. Cheer up and focus on the food or drown your sorrows in a very nice and well-priced bottle of Malbec in the atmospheric dining room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank seagullrob
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in Ayelen Hotel de Montana (very stylish!) - it was between the season (or something like that), almost empty and restaurant was closed, but Steve asked cook to come and make dinner for us late evening. Food was excellent, of course argentinian steak!
He told us where to go and what to see in Mendoza, pity we had only 2 days. But we had great 2 evenings and long talks with Steve.
I recommend this place to everybody driving by, the scenery around is stunning - and Aconcagua greeting you, nearby!
Thanks Steve.
Alicja and Jerzy from Canada

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Alicja A
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is a hotel with an excellent design. The common areas are beautiful. The rooms are simple and aging, but the new owner is renovating the property and provides some of the most attentive service that I have encountered anywhere, regardless of price. He is from London, so this is a great place for the English speaking visitors to the region. He has also hired an excellent cook. The dishes range from simple, high quality home cooking to daring and flavorful. I couldn't have been happier with my stay. As a bonus for Aconcagua climbers, Inka Expeditions has rented a space in the car park under the hotel. This makes the hotel a very convenient location for those needing to hire mule service to and from base camp.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We could think of nothing else but the hot showers and soft bed when we were on the plains of Aconcagua. The food was excellent and very reasonable wine and champagne.Steve our host was very friendly and helped us during our stay.

Room Tip: all rooms are very quiet. Could have had hairdryers in the room or for hire. My hair was wet at nigh...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed there in summer on the way to Aconcagua as a group of about 20. Service was great! Food was great! Prices were right. You can tell it is a nice place that got run down, but is on the way back up. Current owner Steve, a great English bloke, has had it for a year now and is making significant improvements. Infrastructure first. There was plenty of hot water and water pressure, good plumbing, potable water from the tap, and a computer in the common space with free internet access. (no wireless,... yet?). Rooms are big and comfortable, though fairly simple (TV in room but didn't turn it on. I didn't even ask if there was cable), with a nice little balcony The kitchen turned out plenty of quality tasty food- I loved the lentil salad, and a bunch of the entrees and deserts. Beer, wine, liquor. There is a GAME ROOM with ping pong, pool etc. Friendly environment, and a wonderful international crowd.

Pray for snow so that Steve gets more business in the winter. Also, the pool is currently non-functional, but the space is great. Steve is planning on having an outdoor jacuzzi and pool functioning next year, which will make the place awesome.

Visit and engage the others around you and you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Just ask Steve
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank jbschneider75
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Far away from civilization and nestled in the foothills of Andes, Ayelen is home away from home. This is no luxury resort and you should not expect any in the town. But if you are looking for basic comfort, great food, cozy rooms and a sun glazed lounge with amazing views, this is the place to be. The host and new owner Steve is superb and very helpful. Should you wish any information on local affairs and tourism, Steve would give you a better and tailored download instead of any tourist office. When you get tired of eating and relaxing, the basement snooker and tennis facilities will help you get back in action.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
#3 of 6 in Los Penitentes
Hospedaje Desvio Las Lenas
Hospedaje Desvio Las Lenas
#3 of 4 in Las Cuevas

Been to Ayelen Hotel de Montana? Share your experiences!