$95
  • Breakfast included
Plaza Hotel(Los Andes)
$80
  • Free Internet
Hotel Los Andes(Los Andes)
$74
All reviewsthe ownergreat placerooms are cleanhot watermade us feelmy sonchillia great experienceaconcagua national parksteveclimbmendozateamridehospitalityplazalife
Reviewed January 8, 2013

An oasis in the Penitentes !!! For those of us with Aconcagua on our mind this is the last taste of civilisation or indeed the first on the way back. Either way , its a great place , good food , friendly and wine to wash the atmosphere down !!! Well done to all concerned

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I can't say enough about the welcoming and helpful staff - especially Steve the new owner/manager. Ayelen is in a great location to begin and end your Aconcagua experience. It also has good food and great wine. Ask for some local wine recommendations - I recommend the empanadas and the steak, medium rare.

The "lodge" style property is undergoing updates, despite growing pains the rooms provide all of the basics you need to get some rest. The common areas are a great place to socialize with fellow climbers. We didn't spend much time in the rooms apart from sleep, but spent lots of time downstairs asking questions and swapping stories with other climbing teams.

This isn't a full-service "hotel" - but provides everything you need in a unique location.

Thank you so much Steve and team!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed for one night as a convenient stay before heading to Aconcagua, and were very grateful for the friendly and helpful service from Steve and his team. They've not had this hotel for long, and made us feel that the hotel should have a great future.

Yes, the rooms are a little tired - to be sorted in time perhaps - but they were clean, comfortable and functional and we had no reason to complain...enthusiastic service can make up for any minor thing like that.

While returning to pick up some gear, we received some useful and sincere advice for the rest of our travels.

Thank you, and all the best I the hotel team. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I originally stayed at Ayelen because my tour company booked it as part of my Aconcagua base camp trek.

Juliette on the front desk was immediately friendly and welcoming. Steve and Mecha likewise. A great friendly team all round including the guys in the restaurant and the bar.

Let's get the basics out of the way. Yes the room was outdated but it was comfortable, clean and warm which is exactly what I needed. The food in the restaurant is very good and the atmosphere is great. Lots of like minded guests all chilling after a hard day out doing whatever it is that we all do.

No wifi as yet but they did let me nip behind the reception desk to use their computer/ Internet connection.

Breakfast is good and includes eggs as well as juices, tea/ coffee, cereal, fruit, breads, cake etc.

They made me feel like a friend not a guest. So much so that before I set off for base camp I rearranged my post- base camp arrangements in Mendoza and arranged to stay at Ayelen again when I came back down from the mountain. It was a no brainer - the thought of a warm bed, a decent meal, good wine and a hot shower - as well as not having to spend 3 hours on a bus to Mendoza late at night did it for me. Juliette even contacted the tour company for me and sorted it all out. Brilliant.

I get that their refurbishment is a work in progress but it didn't bother me and the team are very honest about it. I appreciate that that may not suit other travellers. Steve and Mecha genuinely want to help make your stay as comfortable as possible so In terms of customer service I cannot fault them.

The price in my view is decent value considering where you are. I would have no hesitation in staying here again and have already recommended it to other travellers in the region. I have paid significantly more for worse allegedly high end accommodation in Mendoza.

The team are really helpful with onward travel plans, obtaining bus tickets and such like whether into Mendoza or over the Andes to Santiago. You only have to ask. Likewise if you want to stay longer and plan to hike out on your own etc, they can point you in the right direction.

I really enjoyed my stay at Ayelen and hope to come back and stay there again.

Room Tip: My room at the back on my second stay was quieter than the room I had at the front on my original stay.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Paula B
Reviewed December 12, 2012 via mobile

I'll start by saying that I really wanted to like this hotel and have struggled with writing this review to ensure that I'm being objective.

I spent one night here while driving to the Aconcagua national park. The rooms are very outdated but were clean, so this in itself wouldn't lead to my rating. There were other positives too - the location is great, check in was very friendly, the communal areas were nice and our room was huge. This hotel has real potential.

However there were a few areas where the hotel really let itself down.

Firstly, dinner. The food was average (the garlic chicken wasn't an exaggeration and was served on a bed of raw onion). But the real issue came when we paid. The bill came to 127 Pesos. We gave 200 and while the waiter went to get change realised it had been added up incorrectly and should have been 177 Pesos. The waiter returned with our change but it was 10 Pesos short. We pointed out the undercharge and paid the extra, but did not pay a tip on top as we were already 10 Pesos down. Rather than thanking us for pointing out their mistake, the waiters were clearly annoyed we (in their view) hadn't tipped.

Overnight I couldn't sleep as the room was freezing cold. I tried to make the radiator work but couldn't and when I mentioned this at check out, I was told they have electric fires.... unfortunately this information came 12 hours too late.

My biggest frustration was in the morning, we had planned to watch sunrise from the national park but came downstairs at 6.30am to find that we were locked into the hotel with no staff around. I have never stayed in any hotel, guesthouse or even B&B that locks its guests in with no obvious way out. I am sure that there were fire exits in case of emergency but to have the main exit locked just does not feel right. I have agonised over whether we should have said our plans the evening before but just did not expect to be locked in. Even when we checked out at 7.30 we had to ask the cleaner to wake up the manager.

I would really like this hotel to be a success as the location is great, the area needs good quality accommodation and I love the romance behind the owner buying the place, but at the moment it feels like it is a play hotel not a serious business. Had I been charged half the amount, it might have felt like a better deal, but to pay the best part of 90USD for a cold night of broken sleep after an awkward exchange with the restaurant staff, only to find we were trapped in the hotel is not something I can recommend, however good the potential.

• Stayed: November 2012