“hospitality, views, friendly people, great food... perfection”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Agustin Buenavista
Rancho Las Cascadas
Reviewed January 8, 2013

This small resort (maybe 15 rooms?) offers personal attention that you just don't get at the big resorts. Greeted by name upon arrival, we were treated like family the entire trip. They do the big things right, of course, like cleaning the rooms, cooking the meals, caring for the horses, etc. But it's the little things that make you feel special. No charge for the internet or printing your boarding passes, maybe even buying you a beer at a local store. Hot tub too warm or cold? No problem, they'll adjust it however you like. Want to learn how to make a Margarita? Couldn't have come to a better place! Come during Christmas (and perhaps some other holidays as well?), and you'll enjoy a 10-course feast complete with entertainment featuring local talent.

The scenery is just stunning. Pictures do NOT do it justice. You feel like you were dropped into the middle of a vast plain. Rolling hills, distant mountains, desert, scrub grass, streams, ponds, canyons, valleys, waterfalls, tiny villages - the beauty and variety are unbelievable. And best of all, you experience it on top of a horse. Going at your own pace: full gallops, medium cantering, leisurely walks - the staff ensures that you get the horse and guide exactly suited to your riding ability and desire.

Of course the focus here at the ranch is the horseback riding, and they do it superbly. But when you're not riding, the resort is a wonderful place to relax. Infinity pool (a bit cool in December), hot tub (just right), darts, pool table, deck chairs, couches in the lounge, library, so many ways to just relax. And the food - absolutely great. The table wine is really quite good. Authentic Mexican, and different food every night. Frequently served at larger tables where you can chat with the other guests. This was an unexpected bonus, chatting with the other guests. They come from all over the world, and often had such great stories, really friendly people.

Another bonus is the cultural excursions that the ranch offers. We went to Tepotlotzan, saw an amazing church, then the neighborhood market in the church yard. Sampled more Mexican snacks. You can even ride your horse to a zip-line place!

This resort is quite the undiscovered gem. And factor in the price, it's a bargain of a gem. We certainly will return.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main house are close to the bar/game room/pool/dining. Pueblito rooms, where we stayed...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed January 8, 2013

These guys understand true hospitality. There is a sign at the front the ranch that says "My house is your House" (in Spanish of course) They do make every effort to help you feel welcome. The people are wonderful and interesting, the ranch is beautifully Mexican and the food is all local and savory. They make a wonderful smokey chili sauce...we wanted to purchase some at the store when we left...and found out it was home made.
The horses are well adapted for the terrain and style of riding. The local saddles take a little getting used to... The countryside is great with small herds of sheep and small towns--all very interesting to explore.
Overall it is a great place to visit, meet people and relax--you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Halfredbarn
Reviewed December 20, 2012

It's difficult to add anything to what has already been said in other reviews. The 5 star rating is absolutely deserved. I was supposed to go to the ranch with my sister, but she got sick and canceled the day before our trip. I decided to go alone, and I'm very glad I did. The people at the ranch are wonderful, and they spoil their guests in every way possible. The food is fresh, delicious, and attractively presented, with great attention to detail. The rooms are basic, but are spotless and provide all the needed essentials, including a soft and fluffy bathrobe. An optional room safe is available free, with a small deposit. The hot tub is perfect for relaxing after a long day of riding. The spectacular infinity pool was too chilly for me so I did not go in it. The horses are well cared for and absolutely fit and muscular. They do a lot of galloping and climbing, some of them not even breaking a sweat. I rode 7 days in a row, on 5 different horses. All were well behaved and mannerly. My rides included some long days in the saddle. We went through many changes of scenery. I felt like I was back in the 1800's. The area is safe and secluded, and is primarily ranching and farming country. I would suggest doing some of the longer rides if you want to see the more varied scenery. Don't forget your sunscreen and chap stick, as they are needed even in the winter months. And be careful what you put in the saddlebags; several of us lost things that bounce out during galloping. Be sure to take a few pesos with you on your rides, to support the local businesses by purchasing drinks. Prices are very reasonable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I am someone who has always prided themselves in never going to the same place twice. It's just never the same! However, I have just returned from my tenth holiday at Rancho las Cascadas about 1 1/2 hours out of Mexico City. So, what it is, you might think, that has made me break my rule so many times? Well, firstly it's the horses. Gentle, fast, open countryside that they love to gallop in. Fields of flowers mixed in with ripening corn rustling in the wind as you fly by. Secondly it is my Mexican family, the staff at the ranch who will willingly do anything to make the stay fantastic, whether it's your first visit or your tenth. It's having people who will go that extra mile to ensure your comfort and enjoyment.
It has to be experienced. Again and again and again. I am already thinking about my next trip and you might want to think about doing the same!!

Room Tip: Te Casita is a little extra but a little more private and self contained. All the rooms are lovely
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was my 2nd visit to the ranch and yet again i had a really fab time :-) The horse's are wonderful so forward going and ready to go, they are not as well covered as we are used to in the uk but they are very fit :-) This time i went just after the rainy season in sept and it was so beautiful with all the flowers out and the field's full of sweetcorn, this is a lovely time of the year to go :-) I enjoyed all the ride's apart from the one on my last day, there were lot's of stone's to ride over so it was hard work for the horse's and a very slow ride :-( but apart from that one i loved them all. I'm a so traveller but both time's i have had a fab time meeting new people, this time there was a great group of people that came with a company named Far and Ride (take a look on there site) For me the food is quite good i like breakfast and lunch very much but evening meal is hit or miss (but that is my taste not everybody's) plus you never go hungry because there is 4 course's in the night :-) I will go back to the ranch again for sure :-))

Room Tip: I like the room's by the stables because i find them a bit more private then the one's in th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I've recently returned from a trip to Rancho Las Cascades... Wow, what an amazing place!
I felt instantly at home in such a relaxed atmosphere... it really is beautiful!
Uschi, Jenny, Max and all the others run the ranch like clockwork.. you just can't fault it... they are ultra accommodating and nothing is too much effort for them!
I can only rave on about the horses, food, accommodation & trips outs... even the weather was perfect!... not too hot, not too cold!
If you enjoy riding super fit, immaculately behaved horses Western style through fantastic scenery in company with fun guides... go there!... you will not regret it!
...Can't wait to go back especially as I've just read that there's a mile long zip wire up the road!

Room Tip: They're all good... imagine walking out of your room to find a horse merrily munching outside yo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 22, 2012

As I sit here in rainy Gloucestershire I can think of nothing I'd like more than to be back at Rancho Las Cascadas, riding through fields of pink Cosmos Daisies, eating delicious food, and spending time with some of the loveliest and most hospitable people I've ever encountered.

I recently returned from a twelve day holiday at the ranch, with my boyfriend and his parents, and I have to say I don't think I've ever had so much fun. From the moment we arrived (at an ungodly hour, to be met by Uschi and Jenny with smiles and hugs, and to discover we had been upgraded to a truly stunning suite, complete with sandwiches which were gratefully received due to our missing supper) we felt welcome and relaxed. The ranch is absolutely breathtaking, and waking up to that first Mexican sunrise is something I'll never forget.

After a leisurely breakfast we made our way down to meet our steeds for the day, and Uschi and her team had got it absolutely right for me. All four of the horses I rode during my stay were impeccably well behaved, but all had spirit and personality enough to make riding them brilliant fun. They were astonishingly surefooted, picking their way up and down the sides of mountains without a moment's hesitation, had a serious turn of speed when asked (and in our group of mad speed freaks, they were asked rather a lot!) and were responsive to the lightest aid. All were well cared for, bright-eyed, unbelievably fit, and all were clearly adored by Uschi and her staff.

The wranglers were friendly, accomodating, and a real pleasure to ride with. On our last day, my boyfriend's father and I went on a ride that if I'm honest was one of the best of my life. We went out with Carlos, and were told on our return just four hours later that we had just done what is normally an eight hour all day ride in half the time. Our horses remained perky throughout, and I don't think I've ever laughed so much as I did that day - racing along dirt tracks, jumping walls, and drinking an obscene amount of apple juice in the market with the lovely Carlos.

The rooms were beautifully clean and Uschi and her staff were so accomodating - especially considering the fact that I have some very awkward allergies to a lot of foods. I was never made to feel bad about my allergies, and at every meal I had something delicious which was made seperately from the other guests' food. Even when we ate away from the ranch, the staff made sure I had enough to eat, and checked and double-checked everything for me to make sure I was safe to eat it.

I cannot thank everyone at Rancho Las Cascadas enough for what was undoubtedly one of the greatest experiences I've ever had. I urge everyone - horsey or not - to book a holiday here. There are horses to suit everyone from the first time rider to the seasoned eventer, and rides to match. I will definitely be returning as soon as I can to gallop across the Mexican plains again!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rancho Las Cascadas? Share your experiences!