“Nice Location but cheap accomodation”
Review of Shaka's Seat

Shaka's Seat
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We recently visited Shaka's Rock and decided to stay at Shaka's Seat as the cost of accommodation was relatively cheap. I guess you get what you pay for. We stayed in a Family room and the kitchen was very old and bathrooms were not very clean. It made our stay very uncomfortable. The beds are also uncomfortable. Again the cost of the accommodation was cheap. So you have to way up the cost versus the comfort. The owner gets annoyed if you do not tell her what time you plan to get back to your chalet at night. I think this is unfair because if you pay for accommodation you should be able to do as you please and not have someone looking over your shoulder as to what time you are back in the evenings. I understand security is important but we were on holiday. Find another way to make sure your guests are safe. Having said that the location of the accommodation is good as it is very close to the beach. I wish the bathrooms were cleaner.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 15, 2013

We loved the room and the gorgeous view. We were only there for 1 night but cannot fault anything to be honest. Service was good, it was really handy to have the kitchenette facility to warm up some food so we didn't have to go out. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We recently took a drive to Ballito and stayed at Shaka's Seat. The place is really chilled and quiet. Exactly what we needed. The owner of the guest house is really amazing and helpful. We were a less than 5 minutes walk away from the beach and have a beautiful view of the sea as well. The restaurants, shopping centres and places to do activities were not too far as well.

Driving to Durban was never a long trip. Pur visit to UShaka Marine was quite an experience.

All in all we were really happy with the trip

Room Tip: The only thing I didn't see or was told about was a pool at the place.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 23, 2012

My wife and I spent a single night at Shaka's Seat in November 2011. We arrived late afternoon but our room was not ready yet. The owner, Sandy, was rather embarassed about this, and when our room was ready about half an hour later, we found that she had left us a nice bottle of red wine together with a note of apology for the inconvenience. We stayed in the Green Suite which, being on the upper floor, had a stunning view of the ocean from the room and balcony. I think there is a second guest suite on the upper floor (the Beach Suite?) with a similar great view. Suites on the ground floor will of course not have the same, uninterupted seaview. The glass doors leading onto the balcony could be opened up entirely. Most pleasant enjoying the delicious cooked breakfast (extra charge) whilst sitting out on the balcony. The cool weather the evening of our arrival, and the fact that we needed to get away fairly early the following morning, meant that we were unable to enjoy the large swimming pool. The suite's kitchen is fully equipped for self-catering and the bathroom is modern and has a very large shower. Sandy recommended a very nice seafood restaurant and kindly made a reservation for us.
No hesitation in recommending this guesthouse.

Room Tip: Choose a suite on the upper floor - the extra cost is worth it for the view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2012

My family and I used this guest house for our Easter vacation. The location is good because of the proximity to the beach and the stunning sea views from the house. That's all that is good. The owner/ manager (Sandy) is a bit over bearing. She stays on the property and is very on your face the entire time. She stresses too much about security that she has rules that make guests feel like they cannot move around freely without her knowing. She also has pets (cat and dog) that she allows to roam around freely, they came into our cottage a number of times. The dog even poohed in our garden! Breakfast is not offered at all so you have to bring your own food or find a restaurant in the area. The house is not well stocked at all with most items looking a bit old. The kitchen is poorly kitted, and the beds aren't the most comfortable! If you have kids, be sure they can swim as the pool is not covered. Also another safety risk for young kids is the low parameter wall! This makes constant child minding a must.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Faddycat, Owner at Shaka's Seat, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

I always encourage prospective guests to go to the Shaka's Seat website and look through the photos, info and facilities that we offer. I think it clearly states "Self Catering". I like to believe, and judging by comments received, that each of our units are tastefully kitted out. The cottage has recently been revamped, including kitchen items, and the mattrass on the bed in the main bedroom is a Sealy Posturpaedic, which, as everyone knows, is a very good make! I also request guests to advise me if anything is lacking, which I will then happily sort out. The cottage does not have a garden, so where little Mango, my dog, (smaller than the cat) "poohed", I really don't know!! We ARE big on security at Shaka's Seat, as the welfare of my guests is of prime importance to me . . . . however, it certainly does not infringe on anyone's privacy. I tend to keep out of our guests' way, and ask them to please make contact with me should they require anything.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Shaka's Rock
#1 of 12 in Salt Rock
Villa Jaime
Villa Jaime
#3 of 18 in Ballito

Been to Shaka's Seat? Share your experiences!