Forest Floor Lodge
  • Breakfast included
Ta Lai Longhouse(Cat Tien National Park)
Lava Rock Viet Nam Lodge(Cat Tien National Park)
TripAdvisor
Nam Cat Tien Homestay(Cat Tien National Park)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe rivernight safarigibbon trekcat tiennational parkdong nai riverair conthree nightsin decemberlong drivelovely locationflora and faunaearly morningwet seasoncreepy crawliesgibbons singingrehabilitation centre
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We spent 3 nights at Forest Floor Lodge and could have stayed another 3. Don't get me wrong, this is not the place if you're looking for a luxurious break but if you want somewhere to really wind down, for us it was the perfect location. We stayed in one of the Vietnamese wooden lodges and it was charming but simple and very clean. The Deluxe tents looked jolly nice too and seemed to be positioned in slightly better locations but we were very happy with our choice. As it is an eco-lodge, they do have a policy of switching off the electricity from 11pm until 6am but they do provide emergency lighting for the night so you don't have to fumble with torches and it really wasn't a problem for us. Perhaps when the weather is more humid it may make sleeping at night more difficult without functioning air-con? We had our resident Gekko who woke us each morning around five with a unique alarm call. Early you may think, but that's the time to be up, watching the birds as they emerge and listen to glorious & eerie song of the Gibbons. We visited the Bear Rehabilitation Centre, Gibbon island, trekked to Crocodile Lake and did the night safari & all provided opportunities to see various wild animals. In between we simply watched birds or strolled in the jungle. Our package was full board and the food is freshly prepared and very generous, in fact so much so that we had to ask them to stop! After having an initial dinner of a western style meal, we then asked for a Vietnamese option and they happily obliged.The restaurant/library is a relaxing venue and the wifi is generally very good. And there are plenty of books to help you identify the birds, bugs and various animals you may be lucky enough to see. The staff could not have been more helpful or charming and the our guide, Hai, was exceptional. If I was being really picky, then I would have to say that a pool would be an excellent addition to Forest Floor Lodge but apart from that I really cannot recommend this establishment more highly. Go see for yourselves.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andreanna57
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Wished we had been able to stay more than the one night on our cycling tour. Very pleasant "glamping" beside the river. Lot of mossies but screens and nets provided, We did get to see deer on the night tour and then a monkey in the forest as we rode north the next day. I have read criticisms of this place but I felt it compared well to similar accommodation is Australia - after all it's probable a quarter of the price. I suspect they struggle economically from the look of uncompleted accommodation units. It was disappointing to see that a ? public pool down the road has fallen into disrepair and I wondered if the empty pond out the front of the resort used to be a pool. We ate down the road at a basic but nice enough restaurant with our guide. We would love to come again and do more bushwalking.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Merlouis
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We booked one of the Deluxe Tropical tents facing the river. The tent was nicely decorated and the athmosphere was really special. But the tent is getting a bit long in the tooth and one can see that. There are wholes in curtains, stains on the sheets (not that bad) and everything seems to be little worn off. I would expect a little more for the money you have to spend. But anway, I would recommend going there just do not be dissapointed. The spirit is amazing and just think of beeing woken up by the gibbons song every morning.
The restaurant charges 190'000 Dong for a two course dinner (240'000 Dong for three course) as well as a variety of individual dishes. It wasn't that great and far two expensive. We walked to the other restaurant in the park which is way more basic but has good and cheaper food.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed 4 nights an Forest Floor lodge. We had wonderful time at Cat Tien using the lodge as a base. The rooms are very clean ,comfortable and have good amenities given the location. The meals were very nice Vietnamese cuisine and the staff were very friendly and easily dealt with any requests, including 5.45am breakfasts for early starts in the park. There is a good range of checklists of flora and fauna available for nature enthusiatists. Over all we thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would love to make a return visit.
Doug and Ulai Kirwin
Thailand

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in January and I was really looking forward to our visit .. it was to be the highlight of our trip to Vietnam.
The view from our room was lovely, it overlooked the rapids and was surrounded by trees - quiet and peaceful. The room itself though was disappointing. I have stayed in many jungle locations and do not expect all 'mod cons' in a jungle lodge, the fact that electricity went off at night and the shower was really basic did not bother me. What concerned me was that the mosquito nets had huge holes in them - fortunately there weren't many mosquitoes around. The kettle hadn't been looked at for days because when I opened it, water was still inside and so were a number of ants which were busy drowning themselves in the water.
It would have been helpful if details of trips and a map of walks in the area were included in the room but nothing is given out so we just came over it accidentally when we saw it on the Reception Desk.
Food was good .. you had to wait quite a while for it but that's because it's being cooked especially for you. There's not much choice though ... it was just brought to us and we weren't told what to expect. It seemed a strange system.
Staff were lovely and exceptionally helpful although English was limited.
It's a lovely location but with very little effort the lodge could achieve so much more.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple