Lowest prices for your stay
$62
Free cancellation until 10/15/22
Reserve now, pay at stay
$28
Free cancellation until 10/12/22
Agoda.com
$17
Free cancellation until 10/15/22
Hotels.com$62
Priceline$40
Travelocity$62
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed in Star hotel for a week in August 2012. Reaons for staying there

a) It is reasonably cheap, SGD$28 per night especially since I am travelling alone.
b) It within walking distance to night bazzar and chinatown.

The room size was alright, more than enough for a single person. Service level within expectations. The aircon compressor was making a lot of noise when I checked in and had to call twice before the technican fixed it.

The room and toilet are clean. The housekeeper is very diligent and did a fantastic job of cleaning the room. The room does look aged but at least it is comfortable and clean. The area is also quite safe. You can leave your valuables with the hotel reception deposit boxes. It is also easy to get around with the "red buses" that cost about 20 baht per trip.

When I was staying there, the hotel was undering renvotion. They were adding an extension wing and it does get noisy during the day. But since I am out most of the time it does not bother me.

Given a choice I will stay within the city walls instead. The area around the night bazzar is more expensive compared to the city walls area.

There are not much good food to go around within a 5 to 10 minutes walking distance and nothing much to explore. Just a lot of tourists and a lot more expensive prices for products and meals. It not that authentic.

Most of the time I will go to Chinatown which is about 15 to 20 minutes walk. There is a lot of make shift stalls at night at Chinatown that sell a lot of nice food and snacks and the flower market is also nearby and it is definitely more authentic than Night Bazzar.

A lot of locals go there at night.

Chinatown / waraot market prices are definitely much cheaper than elsewhere and it is great shopping there, you can get a lot of good quality cotton material stuff e.g. Clothes, pants, curtains, cushions for low prices. E.g. A collar good quality cotton T-shirt only cost 120 baht.

Another great point about star hotel is the travel agency located within it. I managed to get a cheaper price for the gibbon experience by booking with them. I have actually went around checking with 6 to 7 travel agencies and to my surprise this agency offers the best deal.

Date of stay: August 2012
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is my second time stay in this hotel, because of it location close to the famous Night Blazaar in Chiang Mai. staffs are very friendly, they even upgrade one of our rooms.
i have my hand basin problem during my 1st day stay, between few minutes the maintenance staff came and fit it.
stayed 19/1 & 20/1/2013.

Date of stay: January 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank lovetravel2315
Reviewed January 5, 2013

This hotel is reasonable. In line with most hotels in the area, it is not up to western standards, but it is clean and safe. BEWARE!! I tried to book this hotel on Agoda and it turned into a nightmare. My reservation for 3 nights that should have been around $200 (high season and holiday) was booked at $250 PER NIGHT I contacted Agoda.com within minutes of receiving the notification but they refused to fix it because the booking was listed as no refund no change. I mention it because Agoda insisted this was all the doing of the hotel. I had to get AMEX fraud involved to fix it. Agoda forwarded the emails from the hotel and there was blatant misinformation, whther intentional or poor record keeping I don't know. Overall the hotel is okay. Not great, not bad, but in my book they are not trustworthy.

Date of stay: December 2012
1  Thank Fatso_Bigguns
Reviewed December 30, 2012

A very good two star hotel trying hard to be an even better three star one. Not quite sure I would call it a "boutique" hotel as that term means more than just being small. I would say they are half way there. They have the lobby down, the rooms need a little more upgrading for my taste. If you can get past the fact they are on what seems to be almost a service road, they are in a great location. The service is outstanding, both the front staff and housekeeping. They have a full time activties counter on site, always a plus in Chiang Mai, and a restaurant. I found the breakfast underwelming (you can not serve chicken sausage every morning!, and milk should be served cold). I also didn't like the fact they don't have in room safes, that should be a must at any wanabee boutique hotel (they do have safe boxes at the front desk). The location and price alone should give one reason to book here, just keep in mind it is a two star hotel for a reason.

Date of stay: December 2012
1  Thank Edward V
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I have been coming to Chiang Mai for a dozen years and I have always stayed at the Star. Rooms are the best. There is no other hotel in CM that can compete at their rate. Breakfast can be included, and it is prepared by chef and crew without the ingrediant MSG ( pronounced sai choo rod ). Wifi is offered, but this is their bane. I sometimes had to go out into the hallway to receive reception and they charge for this service, which, of course, it is not. I am working on that issue! Outstanding staff, constant security and a monster location in the middle of it all. My guess is when you stay here you will be stunned by the qualty, cleanliness and friendliness of property and staff. I would rate this hotel better than a 5 star, but there are a few aminities missing. Anyway, you get the drift...it's perfect

Date of stay: November 2012