“overpriced!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Royal Victoria Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Newport B&B and Inns
skelmersdale
“overpriced!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

£65 for a single room? I`ve stayed in much better places for much less. Wasn`t made to feel very welcome, felt more like a nuisance when I told the manager ( I think ) that I`d booked a room. Although the woman on reception was ok. My room was clean at quite large with plenty of room for a chair, but there wasn`t one! Just a tiny stool to perch on. breakfast was ok, the waitress was as attentive as she could be, she was very busy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank anthony f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Booked this Hotel the day before the night we were due to stay and so did not have chance to do my usual extensive research, a big mistake! It looked really nice on their website and looked ideal for my partners birthday treat, as it had a lovely looking restaurant and a choice of Bars, just the place to chill out and have a relaxing romantic meal. When I pulled into the car park at the rear of the Hotel it did not have the same grand looking exterior as the front picture on the website, but more of a working men's club. I arranged to check in at 2pm and must admit we did not arrive until 2.07pm so perhaps explains why the reception was closed and was greeted by a sweet old lady eating sandwiches who looked puzzled when I asked if there was anybody about who could book us in. I wondered down a corridor and found a young lady at the rear bar entrance who pointed us in the direction of the room. It would of been nice if she could of offered some assistance as I had bags to carry and my visually impaired partner to guide upstairs and through doors. First impression of the room was not great as it was dark due to the blind being closed and it smelt musty. Discovered why they keep the blind closed as the view was of rubbish from the shop next door.
As other reviews have mentioned the plumbing is a bit old as I discovered when trying to flush the toilet. Went and asked if we could have different room with a toilet that worked and I was informed I was not using it correctly and that there was a special technique which did work a couple of times, but became worse as time went on. I also asked if I needed to book a table for our evening meal and was promptly told the chef was ill and it was closed, which I was later to discover did us a favour, as we found a fantastic Indian Restaurant down the road. The only saving grace was that the breakfast was really nice.
Having just returned from Italy the day before where we stayed in a fantastic luxury Hotel costing 80 Euros a night, I felt £80 a night did seem a little expensive for the Faulty Towers experience.
I would return to Newport as it was a nice friendly town, but unfortunately would not return to this Hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Douglas60
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Vic which is local to where we live the experiance was disapointing .The Hotel was pride of Newport a few years ago but has fallen on hard times ,it is clean and the food was OK. but you never know if the rryestraunt will be open or closed,the plumbing is old and under the fresh paint lies the decay of time.The staff were OK.but even a Butlins red coat could not cheer this place up. Sorry

Room Tip: The front facing rooms can be a bit to close to the traffic noise
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank stevev0

Travelers are raving about these Newport hotels

Bristol
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I booked this for my son and myself as we needed to be at the local Lilleshall sports centre at 7.30am the following morning. It was a random choice and I wish I'd researched it a bit better before booking. The website portrayed it as a gentile old-fashioned hotel in the small town of Newport, but it was a real let down. When I booked the manager said that there were having chef problems and couldn't promise the restaurant would be serving food, so I wasn't surprised that we couldn't eat there - however I didn't really see a dining room anyway! The ground floor seemed to be taken up with the bar (where we had to check in) and a nightclub - the entrance to this was the main hotel entrance, so we had to come in around the side of the hotel.
Despite having our bedroom windows shut the noise was so loud it was as if we were in the club itself and the volume and tedious bass beat was unrelenting until 1.20am. Personally I think this makes a hotel room not fit for purpose as you can't sleep in it! We had to leave at 7.00am so we had to let ourselves out in the morning and post the key back through the letterbox. Wifi was terrible too - couldn't even find it with most of our devices, and the one that did connect ran too slowly to be used.
On the plus side the beds were comfortable and the ladies in the bar were pleasant and helpful - they left a packed lunch outside our room for the morning as breakfast wasn't available early.
However for the price and facilities I thought this was a terrible choice, and would have to be desperate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Definitely not room 2 above the nightclub
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Fizzydrink
Cheshire
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed with two other couples on 28th June and were a little concerned about some negative reviews but were very pleased on arriving that the public areas were very clean and modern. The manager was friendly and helpful carrying our case upstairs for us.

Our room was spotless and the bed was very comfortable, better than many in hotels that are much more expensive.

The breakfast was excellent and the girl serving us was friendly despite all the differing orders from our party. I think the hotel is wonderful value for money and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

I have only given an overall rating of Very Good as we didn't have a chance to sample dinner as the chef was ill but we were delighted with a Mediterranean restaurant 'Red Pepper' which I have reviewed elsewhere.

Newport is a charming market town and we would have spent more time exploring but had to be at a wedding the day after our saty.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Poynton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed on Friday 28th June 2013. We found the beds comfortable and the breakfast excellent.
All the staff, David, Michael, Leigh and the girl who helped with breakfast were all most pleasant and attentive.It was reasonable value for money for a hotel in a market town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Maybe it's just in the wrong place for this day and age and maybe Friday night was not a good night to stay when a local group decided to have a shouting match between 3 and 4 in the morning with no police to put a halt to it.

Very expensive for a 1 star property - clean, yes, but cheap fittings; not sure the gothic black everywhere is very uplifting. The few staff we met were friendly though breakfast waiter needs a nudge that everyone likes Jazz aftershave so strong at 8am. Breakfast lukewarm - and mine was the first of the day! Bacon way overcooked and egg undercooked.

Sorry - overall we won't be going there again.

Room Tip: Definitely not Room 2 on a Friday night!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rod B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
The White House Hotel and Restaurant
Moreton Hall Farm B&B
#1 of 6 in Newport
Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre
Premier Inn Newport/Telford Hotel

Been to Royal Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!