“horrible food, horrible miserable manager”
Review of The Swan at Forton

The Swan at Forton
Ranked #4 of 5 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We used to love coming here - but seems they have had a change over in staff - used to be very professional - with lovely happy staff and that actually seemed to enjoy working there and made you feel very welcome - not anymore - manageress seems to be in the wrong job - hasnt a clue about customer care - if anything she gives off a "vibe" as to not to approach her -a smile wouldnt go a miss, we felt as if we shouldn't of been there wanting to eat or drink! NEVER EVER AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SashaJade66

Reviewed November 28, 2012

We arranged a party at the Swan at Forton for my Dads 65th using the Christmas menu. The meal was really fantastic. This is the first time a number of us had been to this venue in years as it had started to get a bad reputation however it appears in the last year the management have changed. The food was excellent value for money and it was a really nice menu. Most of us had steaks and they were all cooked to our liking with very little wastage, not one tough steak in sight. The menu was the best I could find locally coming from Market Drayton.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We visited for a mid week lunch and an evening meal during a weeks holiday in the area. The carvery was excellent quality and both the t-bone steak and venison dishes were delicious. Service was attentive but not in your face and the local ale was great. All in all would highly recommend. A added bonus was being able to use our taste card.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

Used to come here very often. Stayed here the night before my wedding.... Then it changed management. We visited not long ago. The staff seemed very young and unprofessional. I asked for a Shiraz and there was a glass of red on the side, she picked it up, stuck her nose in it and sniffed it and said 'I think that's a Shiraz ', the other barnan said 'yeah it is, I poured it ages ago', then they gave it to me. I politely declined and asked for a fresh one since I was paying over £5 for it. There were a load of young lads around the bar (friends of the Barmaids) and as we left they all burst into laughter!! It just seems that every time we visit to give it another go, it is being run by untrained kids. Please do the lovely building justice and employ some professional staff. Such a shame, we used to love coming here under the old management.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank Sonya R
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Had an evening meal here in Oct 2012 as part of a weekend at the Ironbridge Museums. The restaurant is in a tiny village but has a good carpark. On a rainy night it had a very welcoming warm atmosphere with good lighting. Right from entering we were treated extremely well and nothing was too much trouble. The food was very good quality and beautifully cooked. The wine wasnt cheap but it was a proper Rioja. The timing of courses was perfect and service very attentive and prompt. We really enjoyed our evening and would recommend this restaurant, I think the owners are trying very hard to make it a success.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank nairbsehayremmus
Reviewed October 22, 2012

This must be the worst Hotel and restaurant that we have been to so far !, The rooms looked ok if you just open the door quickly but we found large stains on the carpet ripped wall paper in the toilet, and we had the best room in the place, on top of the stairs we could see a old mattress stuck in the corner, then we booked a table for that evening for six of us and it was like faulty towers , We had very young girls trying to serve us but just kept making so many mistakes it became a joke, only to be taken over by person like my Mum, the wine list was the worst i have ever seen three bottles of red and can you believe it they had only one bottle available to choose from , We asked is this right and a heavily looking lady "Mum" who informed us some ten days ago her wine merchant went into liquidation ! ,emmm “ Does she know about Google” and we have only one red available emmmm , then the best bottle of white was like paint stripper, Now for the food the starters for just ok but i had the pie of the day “Rubbish” it was so salty i can guarantee it was a bought in stock so rich and heavy full of salt it made me feel sick and the beef was so tuff i thanked the heavens for my own teeth, one of my guests had sea bass and that seemed ok, we then had rib eyed steaks cooked to medium/ well , and two of them looked and tasted like a old pair of boots, I would say that the staff in the restaurant and the kitchen were young and lacked training, The whole restaurant just looked like it lacked a good lick of paint and the chairs needed a re-varnish I’ve burnt better , The staff looked like they needed some good one to one training and a smile would not go a miss, when it came to sweet just ok , but when it came to ordering tea beware they only offer one type breakfast tea only !!!. Now breakfast which again was a joke one jam and one marmalade and then we chose the full breakfast OMG the bacon on one plate was ok and the second plate was like a burnt leather, the toast was just throw on a plate un cut lacking any care or thought about presentation, and the sausage was the cheapest money could buy my guess it was throw in to a deep fryer, I have read some of the previous comments was i in the wrong place !!!!!!! My advice stay at home or take a tent and sleep in a field .

Room Tip: Just ask for the best room throw a dice say a little prayer, cross your fingers and hope for the bes...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank TerryV310164
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Had my birthday carvery dinner here on Trafalgar day! with family.Great service especially waitress Hannah and a measure of its value and popularity was the packed car park.Carvery disappointing as although veg brill I was asked what meat I wanted and told 'We don't do lamb.No lamb so I opted for beef which was very tough and I left it.However the large banner outside declares 'THE BEST CARVERY IN SHROPSHIRE'.As the pub is in Staffordshire how can it be the best in Shropshire?The border is very close but its definitely in Staffordshire.Anyway,the biggest disappointment was no lamb and a poor cut of beef.Will probably try again as we were probably unlucky with the beef but yorkshire puds very good.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Swan at Forton? Share your experiences!