“meeting up with the family” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Talbot Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Talbot Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Eynsham B&B and Inns
Leicester, United Kingdom
“meeting up with the family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have just returned from Cuba and had to arrange to meet my son and family to get our chocolate Labrador back as they had kindly looked after him, normally, when we have the Grand kids at half terms we meet "half way" at the M40 services, costly, not very inviting. I wanted to treat them to a nice meal as a thank you. As always, I go through Tripadvisor to get the low down on pubs in the area, this time I needed a dog friendly one. I spent well over an hour last night trying to find a place that had good reviews, in the end I called my son and asked him to look, he found the Talbot and I called, spoke to a polite young lady who said dogs were allowed in the bar area and there was a large table for us to use. We arrived and although the area was badly flooded were pleased to see the nice setting the Pub is in, make sure you have the 5p for the toll bridge if you come from the south,!!
We ordered a variety of dishes from the menu and specials board, all were served hot, plentiful by Ron the landlord who was attentive throughout, no complaints at all from any of the six who ate, two of us had the treacle pudding and it was very very nice and again, plentiful.
When we came to pay, Stacey was apologetic about the delay with the food, saying lots of people had ordered at the same time, we hadn't noticed a delay, but it shows the standard of care and attention at the Talbot. The cost for our visit including 3 coffees, a cider and 2 cokes was just under £80, a very fair price especially when you see the silly prices of the small portion places nearer to Oxford. We shall for sure make this our regular meeting place on future meet ups.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Gloucester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I visited the Talbot restaurant with my family for a midday lunch. The service was good, but the food did not live up to expectations. The vegatables followed the current "al dente" trend, but like so many other restaurants, it has become an excuse for being undercooked and almost raw. A main course of Tunas steak was returned as it was tough, dry, tasteless and unedible. Another selection was offered, but declined. No charge was made for it in the final account.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

I really like this hotel. The staff were excellent and made me feel at home. They were helpful with my travel enquiries and really kind people. The food was very good. The atmosphere was great. A really nice English pub. The room was comfortableand clean. I didn't have an ensuite but that was only outside my door. There was a bus stop right outside the pub to get the bus to Oxford then on to Blenheim Palace. On a main road so a bit of traffic noise at peak time in the morning but that was ok.The little village close by for my travel supplies. I would stay there again and recommend it highly.

Room Tip: I'm sure any room would be fine here.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Salmon Arm, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Talbot for a week. The staff are very friendly and helpful. I recommend getting breakfast included as you have the option of a full-english every morning as well as cereals, juice, tea, and coffee. The pub food is excellent and there's always specials on. And the portions are very generous so make sure you go hungry. The room is very welcoming with comfortable beds and tea and coffee waiting for you. A closet with extra blankets and pillows. The bathroom was very spacious. The only complaints would be that the tv was very small, the clock on the bedside table didn't have batteries, and sometimes the water for a shower wouldn't get hot around lunchtime for some reason. Don't be put off by the location being right on the road, it quiets down at night. Also, being right beside the bus stop is convenient; and right after the toll bridge makes it easy to remember where to get off when returning from Oxford. Overall, I highly recommend the Talbot and would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Emily G
Tonbridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

It was a bit difficult for me to decide whether to rate Very Good or Excellent so perhaps I have been a bit harsh only giving The Talbot Inn just 4 stars. I had an enjoyable 3 night stay. Room very comfortable, well furnished and clean. If I were to quibble I would have liked a proper shower fixture rather than a shower head attached to the bath taps (which you have to adjust to get the temperature right) and a larger screen TV but both were entirely adequate. Big breakfast choice and helpings. The one meal I took in the restaurant was good - although by Sunday evening the Roasts and some Specials had gone. Staff friendly and helpful. Excellent location both to get into Oxford (very easy to catch a bus from outside) and to explore the Cotswolds. Very good value. Would definitely stay again and would recommend.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Maidstone, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Average can mean different things to different people. In one sense it means just about OK; no better than anywhere else. Or it could mean that something is pretty good, Certainly of good quality without standing out from the others. TheTalbot falls into the latter category.
The owner and his staff are very pleasant, the rooms are perfectly OK and the breakfast is of decent quality. If you expect more, then you would have to pay more for it in a more expensive establishment.
Two minor criticisms. It would have been nice to have had more shelf space in the en suite, and if you have to have a breakfast table that is near to the bar entrance, the others all being occupied, it is draughty and the food gets cold quicker than one would like. (Probably not a problem in summer.)But these are quibbles. Would we stay again? Yes quite probably.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Southbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

If you are looking for a great "Home base" for exploring Oxford and the Cotswold this is the place.
Easy access to public transportation, bus stops right outside the door, very helpful, friendly staff and great value.
We had a great time and highly recommend the Talbot Inn.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Eynsham
Eynsham Hall Hotel
Premier Inn Oxford Hotel
Remont Oxford Hotel
Remont Oxford Hotel
#4 of 44 in Oxford

Been to The Talbot Inn? Share your experiences!