“Absolutely dreadful”

The Inn at Emmington
Ranked #1 of 2 Sydenham B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 14, 2014

My partner and I stayed here in March as we were attending a friend's wedding in Oxfordshire. On approaching the Inn we were pleasantly surprised. However, unfortunately this feeling did not last. The owners were very unfriendly and we were made to feel very unwelcome and this would probably explain why the place was empty! We decided to stay for dinner as we arrived late, but the food was awful. The room was very basic, the bed uncomfortable, and the toilet was unclean. I would not stay here again and would definitely not recommend it. It was such a shame as it spoilt an otherwise lovely weekend. Very very disappointed!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank WheresClaire

Reviewed February 23, 2014

I took friends for Sunday Lunch at the Inn at Emmington on February 16th. We were greeted by Jerry from behind the bar and enjoyed a quick drink before being shown to our table. Thereafter we enjoyed a 3 course lunch, the quality of which you would struggle to receive in rather more expensive restaurants elsewhere.
Following starters, the beef was chosen by 3 of us and to say it melted in the mouth would be a truly fair description. The forth choice was the Pork Belly which my friend compared to his meal of the same dish in London just a week earlier.... his view was The Inn excelled into 1st place.
The meal was rounded off with truly enjoyable deserts and throughout our meal we were served by a cheerful, friendly and polite waitress. In fact I took a moment to watch the service on other tables too, mainly to cheekily check out their choice of deserts... and could see the pleasant and helpful service being offered at all tables..
I didn't stay over on this occasion, but I have done so in the past. The rooms are spacious with and certainly comfortable enough. However I would challenge you to enjoy a meal of this quality, enjoy good service and a few drinks for the cost of this menu. You will eat well and I am sure you will not be disappointed... I am already looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Barryeager
Reviewed December 8, 2013

We were pleasantly surprised when we approached the Inn as its lovely. Was greeted with a smiley face and shown to our rooms. Very simple rooms but the bed was very very comfortable and we had access to free wifi and had freeview available on the tv. Tea and coffee available also. The gentleman in the bar was extremely helpful and made us feel very welcome. The breakfast was delicious too. We are already talking about planning another stay as we loved the relaxing feel the place gave and hope to enjoy more of beautiful scenery.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank Mrsbyfield
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We arranged to go to The Inn at Emmington for a couple of nights with friends to visit Oxford and for a walk in the Chilterns. The Inn at Emmington lies about 20 minutes outside Oxford but is an easy journey in.
We arrived late afternoon on Friday after a stop start journey on the M25, M40. The rooms were ready, ours was large, comfortable with all necessary amenities. We had a cup of tea in our room then went to the bar for a drink and eventually for the 3 course meal we had booked earlier. We adjourned to the restaurant, an extension of the bar at about 7pm when to our surprise we were told by the proprietor to 'keep the noise down!' as he was concerned for future diners, the restaurant was empty! We were enjoying ourselves and were occasionally a little loud, we didn't seem to be disturbing the couple of locals that were at the bar, there was no foul language, we weren't abusing anyone, we were just enjoying ourselves. This put a real dampener on the evening as we felt we had to speak in low tones and the proprietor was keeping an eye on us. To top it all at the end of our stay he charged us more than he had agreed in advance, blaming us for getting the price wrong. Fortunately we found the confirmation email on our return and the money has been reimbursed. On a positive note, the food was good and the bar person was nice, friendly and helpful and if we had been quiet and conservative throughout our stay, the proprietor would have been better pleased. We will not return.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Mazjanus
Reviewed October 30, 2013

For just under £100 I stayed overnight, had a very good three course meal & a sound night's sleep.

The rooms aren't up to much, reminded me of staying at an old aunt's house when I was younger, however I slept well, are well, the service was great

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had to stay here for work a few times. The beds are really really hard and you can hear the person in the next room snore and move around the room, clearly. Whatever they are doing you will hear it.
Friendly people though and my first visit included a game of Aunt Sally in the garden.

Room Tip: All rooms are a bit of a muchness
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stopped here yesterday for sunday lunch with relatives without having been in before (under 10 mins from M40). We did book as there were eight of us but the restaurant was not busy. Loved the easy chairs and the book case.
We'd expected the usual pork, lamb, turkey roast but the only 'typical' roast was the delicious roast beef - generous fresh veggies, roasts and excellent yorkshires and gravy that were very definitely homemade. The other options were twists on the usual fair and were apparently very good as well. Others of us ate off the a la carte. It was good to note that we managed to get a more standard chicken without the advertised extra sauce as all was fresh cooked (even that was very tasty). Puddings were up to the same high standards our waitress was friendly and helpful.
We managed to stretch our lunch to three hours and ended up leaving at nearly four and we were probably quite loud shouting down the table. Great that this didn't seem an issue which was appreciated. Excellent meal and relaxing surroundings. Go if you're in the area and wish we lived nearer.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Inn at Emmington? Share your experiences!