“Excellent Pub & Restaurant”
Review of The Fat Fox Inn

The Fat Fox Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Watlington B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We came upon this here place whilst searching online for a quick get away from the hustle and bustle of West London. We turned up on a Saturday at around 3.00pm and found the parking more than ample. On entering the pub we were greeted by a very pleasant young gentlemen who walked to us our room in the converted barn. The room was very nice and the bathroom too made the most of the room available. It wasn't until later on when we came to retire in the evening we found it was rather warmer than we would have liked in August and there were no windows to open as it only has a patio style door. In the winter I think this would a plus point and a very cosy place to spend a night. On reflection the bathroom could have benefitted from a little more love in places, nothing that couldn't be put right quite quickly, a lose fitting here and there, all cosmetic really. Also I challenge anyone to take a shower without covering the floor in water. The screen is a little small and the shower head is a little big. All minor things really. A towell on the floor and problem solved.

The good parts of which there are many; The pub looks lovely and quaint. All the staff are extremely polite and make you feel welcome. The food we had in the restaurant was also of a very high standard, excellent in fact. The waiter was more than willing to please and the chocie of wines and beers is also very good. The breakfast was superb made from local produce.

I would recommend anyone to try this place. The flaws are few and the postives are many.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
ox495bu, Owner at The Fat Fox Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear Mex

What a nice review, thank you. I hope you will be pleased to hear that since you visited we have put bathroom mats on all our shower floors as standard so that no-one again has to endure a post shower flood. Thanks for the tip. As our staff unsurprisingly never take showers in our own rooms it's something that could well have gone unnoticed so you have my gratitude.

Here's to no more slippery floors.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed here because we were walking the Ridgeway and it was convenient. The building is very attractive with beautiful tiled roofs and it's in a pleasant street in a typical Chilterns small town. The food was excellent, well thought out and executed using local ingredients. If it had more than one vegetarian option I'd score it higher. The dining room was a nice room to eat in - eclectic with mismatched furniture. The staff, particularly a lovely woman with, I think a Scottish accent (sorry I didn't get her name) were uniformly helpful. The downside was the room (number 4). The rooms are in a converted barn in the yard. The decoration was ok with new furniture pretending to be old. The bathroom was small which isn't necessarily a problem but you had to squeeze past the toilet to get in an out of the bath. I'd be worried if if it was someone perhaps not very agile. And then there was a horrible red light in the ceiling (presumably a safety feature) but it was pretty bright. In addition the curtains were not designed to keep the light out which seems pretty essential for bedroom curtains but it's amazing how many hotels fall down on this. I am not a picky hotel stayer as those who've read my other reviews will know but they need to deal with this. So, public rooms really good. Bedrooms need some further thought. Food excellent.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Lynn

Thank you for your review. As always it is nice to hear from our customers where there is room for improvement and you have made some very valid points which we will be addressing in the near future. I must say that I can only hope you enjoyed a good night's sleep despite the red light and translucent curtains. You are indeed correct that is a safety feature (fire detector in fact) and that light is an indicator to show it's working. Annoying but neccesary I'm afraid.

Fingers crossed for 'great' next time around. I'm browsing curtain catalogues as I type.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

nice rooms and a very good breakfast, staff all very helpful.The rooms are in a converted barn at the back of the hotel away from the road. they offer some nice little touches like a couple of chocolate bars in the room and bottles of water, well worth a look at

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Dave

Thank you for a delightful review.
I'm so glad you enjoyed the chocolates.

Kind regards

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago as we attended a friend's wedding in near by Benson. Fantastic food - breakfast was delish. Really good evening meal and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.

Our room was lovely. Great, very comfortable, seligh bed, decent sized bathroom with a bath. Lovely original features. And, very thoughtful extras - chocolate bars and water bottles in your room each day.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Dear Jenn

What kind words, your write up is very much appreciated. Hopefully we'll see you again should any more of your Watlington friends get married.

Any chocolate requests?

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I booked here to stay with friends over a weekend for a wedding and initially had booked in to one of the luxury rooms. I ended up sharing with 2 others so we were moved to a twin room with an extra camp bed. Unfortunately this room was far from any luxury in comparison to the luxury rooms here. Our room was tiny with no wardrobe and a teeny bathroom! There were no shelves to put anything and a mini sink that meant water got everywhere. There were no blinds or curtains so we were woken each morning at 5 to bright light.
I can't comment on the other rooms here but ours was certainly below average and not worth the money.
Breakfast was good and the one thing i would say was the service and staff was fantastic. Very cheery and polite.

Room Tip: Dont stay in the attic room in the cottage.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Hannah

Our sincerest apologies for the restless night you spent with us. I know that it is of little comfort now but perhaps it might please you to know that since your visit we have rectified the situation by adding blinds and curtains to the aformentioned room. My thanks for bringing it to our attention.

If you should choose to visit us again I would like to offer you a stay in one of our luxury rooms at our standard room rate so as to rectify and perceived loss of value you may have experienced.

Best regards

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Having just completed a 15 mile hike on a hot, dusty trail this was sheer luxury. Spotlessly clean and full of charm. Very polite staff too. Lovely, plump beds. A joy! Restaurant was good too. At first I wasn't very impressed with the menu but we were too tired to go anywhere else, however, the food was excellent with very attentive staff. Very glad we decided to stay. Our room might not have been suitable for folk with disabilities. I can't judge for the other rooms. Also our room was above the bar and we had the pleasure of listening to some loud mouth moaning about how he couldn't get a mortgage with a deposit of £60,000. Get over it mister, we're trying to sleep!!! Apart from that I would thoroughly recommend this as a stopover if you're walking the Ridgeway.

Room Tip: If you want an early night make sure your room isn't above the bar.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Sandra

Thank you for such a nice review, we're very glad we could provide a refreshing respite from the ridgeway. All of us here at the Fat Fox look forward to welcoming you again and will be more than happy to conduct a late night loudmouth clear out should the need arise again.

Best wishes

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Nice accommodation in the heart of the Chilton's, great for walking, and cycling, country style pub that has rooms in the converted barn set back off the car park.
The small town of Watlington has a nice feel, although there was not much to do there, 2 Indian restaurant's and a couple of other pubs, to be honest the fat fox was the best of the bunch and we did try the other pub down the road, but found this to be unwelcoming and dirty, so glad we ate and stayed at the Fat Fox.
The Room we had is the one in the photo, (we did request this on booking) and was well done out and the bed was lovely, only let down by a very bad green stain on the bath from the dripping shower head, and this did spoil the feel of luxury it was trying to give.
The breakfast was OK, although we were not given any extras like toast we requested and they only seem to have apple juice and no orange juice, which was strange considering we were having breakfast in the pub, also no offer of any sauces to accompany the cooked breakfast, which in its self was lovely and well cooked.
Overall a good get away place if you want somewhere with outdoors activities.

Room Tip: We had room 6 which is the luxury room in the photo above
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Hairy

Thank you for a kind review. I feel I must offer my apologies for the lack of toast, condiments and juice in the morning. We do try and meet all of our guests needs, especially during breakfast, as it is such an important meal. I can only say that we will endeavor to improve in this respect as the last thing we want is to send our guests off to meet the day unsatisfied.

I would like to think that we shan't repeat the same mistake twice.

All the best

John Riddell

Also consider these accommodations in or near Watlington
3 mi away
Mercure Thame Lambert Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
The White Hart Hotel
#1 of 1 in Nettlebed
The Cherry Tree Inn
The Cherry Tree Inn
#1 of 1 in Stoke Row

Been to The Fat Fox Inn? Share your experiences!