“A sad review to write”
Review of The Greyhound Pub

The Greyhound Pub
Ranked #3 of 8 things to do in Beeston
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I visited the Greyhound on a number of occasions in the Summer 2012 and my colleagues independently up until January 2013

There are another two reviewers I work along side and we compare notes on all venues, each reviewer visit venues on separate occasions from one another and do not know of each others finding until notes are compared at the very end.

I have been a reviewer for several years and always have admired and supported small venues such as this, keeping music alive against the economy.

The Greyhound makes the most of it’s space to cater for live music, with a good in house P.A.
The stage lighting is only just adequate but at least the venue has made an effort.

The bar staff are pleasant enough

The venues featured events are, open mic, jam session, band nights.

For their efforts I give the Greyhound 100% thumbs up for the setup.

However…..
While we all agree that the various bands we saw were of good quality and worth the trip the other events really let the venue down.

The open mic I fear is not good at all which is a shame as the few musicians who seem to attend each session, play to an empty house most weeks
However the self opinionated M.C. isn’t doing the venue any favours with his obvious falseness and cutting remarks, so perhaps they need to look into that.

The jam session at first seems very good with a number of fine musicians until the politics slap you in the face.
We all experienced on our first visits being drawn into conversations about the same people each week playing the same songs, the unfairness of the head of the house band, the unwillingness to join others as they play unless you are their friend, the sulks and back stabbing by various members of the house band that is constant and for all to witness. Which indeed we have all witnessed in our visits. Musicians not being allowed up on stage because their faces do not fit and so on.

What you have here is a venue trying to give music to the masses and the musicians themselves dictating how the venue is run.
My advice would be to scrub the board clean and start afresh with true musicians running the session.

The biggest shock for all of us was the freedom in which the customers are allowed to smoke cigarettes that do not appear to be the run of the mill cigarettes.
Plus which we all witnessed on several occasions the landlady sharing said cigarettes, even the police who from time to time passed the smoking area blatantly looked the other way and on one occasion an officer was heard to say “I see nothing”

I am not a killjoy and what people do is their own business as long as it doesn't interfere with others, however these are summer afternoons and children are sitting all around, some next to the so called cigarette smokers

In conclusion I can only say that this could be a top little music venue but sadly it has lost the plot.

10  Thank VenueCritic