“Fabulously tranquil” 5 of 5 bubbles

Khao Sok Paradise Resort
Wellington, New Zealand
“Fabulously tranquil”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a bamboo tree house and loved the openair bathroom. The couple that own the place were so friendly and helpful. The food was also great. We did our own walk in the national park and had an overnight lake stay arranged for us - would totally recommend doing this. Lovely chilled out place to stay a few days.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
Plymouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Paradise resort in August 2013. Originally we only booked for 1 night, but once we were there we loved it so much that we booked an extra 3 nights for when we returned from a stay on Chiew Larn Lake (excursion which Paradise resort sorted for us). We also went river tubing which Paradise organised. We stayed in both a standard tree house and a deluxe tree house. Both were clean and comfy, the deluxe had an amazing balcony terrace area and a much bigger more modern bathroom. There were lots of insects around in the wildlife, but none managed to get into our rooms! The manageress was extremely helpful, she helped us choose our excursions, drove us to a cash point and looked after our bags whilst we were on the lake. Another added bonus was the free wifi available in the main restaurant area and a rambutan orchard surrounding our tree house!
I would definitely recommend a stay here to experience the national park from a beautiful base.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Nernier, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed one night at Khao Sok Paradise Resort. When we arrived, we were warmly welcomed and they offered us the possibility to choose our room between a bungalow or a tree house. After visiting both, we chose the bungalow as the bathroom was more comfortable. We spent the afternoon walking on one path of the national park (10-15min by walk from the hotel). Not a lot of interests. Waterfalls were disappointing (better in the rainy season I think).

Our night in the bungalow was just fine. It was very interesting to sleep and be surrounding by the sounds of the jungle. We even had monkeys on our roof;). Breakfast was OK.

We booked a day tour on the lake the day after. We were advised by the hotel that a part of the tour will be on a cave and that we will have to swim. They gave a short brief about the way we should be dressed and told us that they have a waterproof bag but unfortunately, it was already give to another guest...

The tour (FYI, our day group was composed of 14 people) started with a visit of a "local market". Be aware, it is nothing as a typical market but it is more stands next to the main road. The only "interest" there is that you can buy a flash light for the cave. It was our first "surprise" as they do not provide any flash lights to visit the cave and believe me, it is MANDATORY to have one...

Then, we arrived at the pier to take a speedboat to the floating house. A one hour cruise and a good moment to enjoy the view on the lake. Arriving at the floating house for 45min break and lunch, we were told we can either swim or ride a canoe. Our second "surprise" is that there are only 3 canoe left for approx 50 people. So do not expect to ride canoe with your friends or family... The lunch was OK.

We were told to let our bags at the floating house and take our stuffs only on waterproof bags. Be also aware that there are NO waterproof bags at the floating house and that the guide has NOT additional ones. We took the long tail boat to reach our starting point to go to the cave. After a 1h30 walking in the jungle where we had from time to time some "survival" explanations, we arrived at the cave. I would say that our guide should have wait and ask the people if they feel OK during the walk as it was not so easy on some path, especially for young or elder ones.

According to me, there was a lack of briefing when entering the cave as there are some dangerous species there as venomous spiders. Moreover, it was essential for me to explain before entering what will be the different steps there: climbing, swimming, walking, things that you should / should not do. A flash light is ABSOLUTELY mandatory and the best is to have a headlamp. Inside we saw hundreds of bats, a lot of spiders in the beginning, frogs, fishes and beautiful caves as you can imagine them in books.

Back to the boat, we came back to rest a little bit at the floating house and come back to the pier to take our transfer back to our hotel.

As the day-trip was organized by our hotel, I would like to put in this comment some points of improvement:
- Please provide to the guests who wants to do this trip a waterproof bag (not anyone has one) and a flash-light (even more important). These 2 articles do not cost a lot and are absolutely essential to fully enjoy the tour.
- Please advise that this tour is not recommended for children or elder people as some part of the walk in the jungle and in the cave are difficult (I do hiking regularly and I know what I am talking about). It is also not suitable for people who are not in good shape, arachnephobian and claustrophobic (this point was told by the hotel). Moreover, according to the species of spiders we saw, I would not take my children with me on such trip. However, it is perfect with teenagers.
- Please ask the guide, which was by the way good and interesting, to do a more detailed briefing before entering the cave.
- Try to ask the floating house to have more canoe and not just 3.

It is though fun to walk in the jungle and spend some time in the cave but it remain a wild environment and that I why I think you should respect some rules.

Except of that, to spend one night "in the jungle", Khao Lak Paradise resort is a great place.

Room Tip: We would rather recommend bungalows as they are more comfy (especially the bathroom) than tree house...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Photograph74
Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Khao Sok Paradise Resort. It really is paradise.

When I arrived I was already greeted by one of the staff members and I also received a free welcome drink. After the check-in procedure was done I was led to my standard tree house. The room was big enough, as I was travelling alone and was very clean. The airconditioning was working properly so it was a nice cool temperatur inside when I entered the accomodation. The bathroom was fine too. So a bit of luxury even though you are in the jungle.
Since you are in the jungle, you will have some housemates (especially geckos and small cockroaches) but that is normal. I didnt see any spiders though. Be aware that during the night some animals might play on the roof with some noise.
The bed is covered with a mosquito net to keep away mosquitos but also any other insect you might not want to have in bed with you.

Food at the Paradise Resort was very good too, but there are also many restaurant along the main road to have a good meal.
Staff at the resort was very friendly and helpful with booking any of the tours, I did the nightsafari and the one day lake drip which was great. The guide (I think his name was nupong) was just perfect, he had so much experience and was joking all the time too.

From the resort its like around 15-20 mins walking to the entrance of the national park so be aware of that.

Altogether I really enjoyed my stay at the resort, it is a very good place to chill out and relax. I wish I had spent more time there.

Room Tip: Standard tree house number 5 is a very good choice since you are at the end of the resort and its th...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed here for 5 days in November '13. First 2 nights where in the Standard Tree House room, we loved the natural feel of the reception area (which by the looks of it has been refurbished and looks even better) we got a slight shock entering the room as it was quite small and there was a towel under the air con and we were just told it was leaking. The room was very basic but had all necessities.

The food is amazing, probably the best we had during our trip to Thailand, all fresh and delicious. The cooking class is brilliant but don't do what we did and have a massive breakfast then try and do the cooking class at 11am, very full bellies. We had booked a tour package through the website and all the trips where excellent especially the over night stay at the lake house, it was the highlight of the holiday. Don't be too worried about the elephant trek, I was dubious but was surprised at how well the elephants were treated and how relaxed the atmosphere was.

We got moved for our last 3 nights to a Deluxe Tree House room, pay the extra money as it is world's apart from the standard. More space inside and out, better bed and far superior bathroom. At night be prepared for weird noises and a lot of activity outside your room from your jungle neighbours, this absolutely freaked us out the first night and I don't think I got much sleep but you get used to it. Khao Sok village is lovely for a walk and to check out some other restaurants. Check out the reggae bar, great views.

The only 2 down points for us where that no one told us at night the reception is closed and all the lights are turned off around 10.30/11pm which makes it pretty different to navigate back to the rooms if you have ventured out. So bring a torch. Also a few of the European reception staff were a bit...weird. That is very vague but there was just a strange vibe from them and we never felt very comfortable in their presence but that is our personal experience.

I'd go back here in a heart beat, it really was the highlight of our holiday to Thailand.

Room Tip: Spend that little bit extra and go deluxe, it will be worth it.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

The Standard Tree House:
The room was very clean and had a comfortable queen bed with a mosquito net. The room also had a small refrigerator, a wall mounted (small) LCD TV, etc.
My only grouse was, there was not much space & lights inside the room, but can be managed as it's supposed to be a tree house! We were there during the monsoon it was little dark/gloomy comparatively!
The locker inside the room was already locked and unusable (maybe done by the previous guests!).

Is it 'You get what you pay for' concept? (since I stayed at the lower priced tree-house), I may never know since most of the reviews here are for the higher priced rooms.

The sitting area on the outside (with a ceiling fan) had too many lizards and insects, making the whole place unusable. There were no hangers, hooks or a cupboards inside the room, which was very inconvenient. There is no place to hang/ or keep your clothes inside the room. (Part of staying in a jungle experience :) )

The resort as such is very beautiful, with greenery all around. The staff are very pleasant and courteous and can also converse in English.

Do check out the rates at the travel agencies down the road at Khao Sok as they offer the same tours at competitive prices. This might be applicable for almost all the resorts here I guess, since you will be cutting out one level of commission from the cost!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Kent, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed at KSPR for two nights, in the Oriental Delxue tree house, as part of our recent stay in Thailand. I'd looked at a number of resorts around Khao Sok before deciding that we had to stay in a tree house as it was such a unique opportunity.

The tree house itself was lovely, the bed was huge and comfortable and once we had got to grips with the air conditioning controls, we managed to keep the room lovely and cool. There was never a problem getting hot water and we always had fresh towels. I find it amazing that despite being in the forest, we had satellite TV, air con and great Wifi access, it was the best of the natural world meets the modern world.

We arranged all of our activities when we arrived, choosing to do the night safari, during which we saw a number of 'creepy crawlies' and even a slow loris. The next morning Eric kindly drove us to the hot springs, which we had to ourselves for most of our visit. We then did the canoe trip down the Sok river in the afternoon. This allowed us plenty of time to just wander around the resort, relax in the bar area and explore the little village. The trip prices seemed to be pretty similar regardless of where we booked and I was more than happy to leave it in the hands of the team at Paradise.

The absolute highlight for us, as we told Eric during out stay, was the amazing food that came out of the kitchen. Nothing else we ate in Thailand was as good as the meals we had here, some where close but nothing topped it. We ate a range of dishes and all were brilliant and the presentation was stunning. Nu also makes a gorgeous lime iced tea and Erics mixed fruit shakes were made just to suit our palate - that's service. Kate was also always around to help with anything we needed, the team here is super effective.

I appreciate that prices in Thailand are not comparable to those here in the UK but I think KSPR is great value for money given the location, uniqueness and service. I wish we could have stayed another night or two to perhaps take the lake trip and eat some more gorgeous food. Everyone here does care about your stay and feedback is genuinely appreciated. When I thought I had double booked a taxi Tan kindly made a call for me to ascertain the correct person had arrived, without her help it would have been so much more difficult and I am very grateful for everyones input.

Highly recommended!