“Great help at arrival and good location!”

Khao Sok Las Orquideas Resort
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

After our trip of 28 hours by train and bus from Chiang Mai and a scam by minibus 'The Phantip Company' and driving like crazy, we arrived late at las orquideas.
Francisco (the owner) gave us a warm welcome and directly showed some nice restaurants to go to.
During our visit, he and his wife helped us finding some nice activities.

They are there when you need them, but you can at the same time have your own, individual, stay!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Bart_Zuidgeest

Reviewed December 7, 2012

We arrived too early which was our fault completely. It was too early in the morning. We met Cisco who suggested he take us to his new resort 2 minutes away and have a swim in the pool and perhaps lunch in his restaurant. We were so hot and this was a wonderful surprise. We enjoyed ourselves so much in his spotless pool that he asked whether we would like to stay at this resort instead of the Orchideas that we originally had booked into. It was called Khao Sok Hotel and Spa. We took one look and say no more. Yes please. Cisco and his beautiful wife Nee have done a wonderful job with this new resort. Lovely decor, each bungalow set in a garden atmosphere. The breakfast was more than adequate. Fruit, juice, eggs, pancakes .... you name it, its there. Rooms were beautifully quiet and the beds really comfortable. We decided on using their massage facilities. My husband is very fussy about a "strong" massage as most are not strong enough. We left very happy. The masseurs were excellent. Niko was a little bit sick one day and Nee made him a special rice soup a few times. How thoughtful! What a wonderfully sweet person she is. It was also Loi Krathong (full moon), so Nee arrived with a most beautiful traditional basket with flowers and candles so that we could join in the festivities and float it down the river. I felt overwhelmed at such kindness. I know that this second resort is still very new but the only thing I could recommend as an improvement is the airconditioning in the room. We felt that it could have been cooler. But I'm sure that this will be fixed soon enough. Cisco hadnt organised WiFi yet as the resort was just opening. However he suggested I use his computer whenever I liked. Which I did.

Room Tip: All beautiful!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Prue Y
Reviewed November 17, 2012

What a fantastic hotel. Nee and Sisco's hospitality is such that you feel part of the family. We arrived quite late in the evening and Sisco very kindly gave us a quick tour around the village then dropped us off in time to catch last orders in one of the local restaurants.

The hotel is only a few minutes walk from the village. And a further few minutes walk to the entrance of the national park.

We travelled with two kids and had a family room, double downstairs and twin upstairs. The rooms, each of which are stand alone buildings, are very tastefully done, extremely comfortable, and set amongst beautiful gardens. Bathrooms are modern and very clean.

We lingered a bit too long the next morning so we missed out on having a wide choice of trips to do. Nee arranged for us to go tubing on the river . This is an hour and a half of leisurely floating down the river starting from the village. We were accompanied by a great chap who acted as our guide and was brilliant with the kids. This was great value. We floated under trees where monkeys played not five foot above us. Plenty of Kingfishers to be seen too.

After that Sisco kindly took us to their new hotel which will open soon. It is set in beautiful grounds with a fantastic view of mountain peaks and has a great pool. Rooms look to be of a high standard and there will be a restaurant and bar. We're looking forward to visiting, I can see myself after a long days trekking cooling down in the pool with an ice cold Singha!

Next day Nee organised a day long trip to Cheow Larn lake. This was a great day out, sightseeing around the lake with its amazing recent history and mountain peaks jutting out from the water. Good swimming, lunch and a forest trek to caves in higher lakes. I was stunned by the absence of bird life around the lake.

Nee's breakfasts are a great chance to catch up and plan the day's activities. I'd certainly recommend the banana pancakes!

As for food locally? Well there is a reasonable choice. However we found Pawn's and for the 2 dinners and one lunch we had we ate there. Great value, lovely friendly service and the food was delicious.

Two days is not enough in Khao Sok. Cheow Larn lake, tubing, forest trekking, elephant trekking, just hanging out in the village, plenty to do. We have been to southern Thailand quite a number of times wih the kids. We normally do a four centre tour. Next time we'll be reducing the number of centres and spending some more time away from the beaches and closer to nature. I can't wait.

We need to be a bit fussy when we travel with kids. Nee and Sisco's hotel was perfect for us and the ratings are well deserved. I wish them well with their new venture.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Alan M
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a good little resort in Khao Sok with hosts who do go out of their way to make sure you have a good time. They booked all our activities and transport on to Koh Surat Thani (and when we were late on the day we were leaving even got the minubus to come back for us!). The only things stopping me giving it a 5 were that the swimming pool was not in use and we weren't aware of this, it was one of the reasons for booking and I would've loved a dip after getting back from our lake trip. Also there were alot of places to stay in Khao Sok and I got the impression this was alot more expensive. We did the tubing down the river, overnight lake tour and canoeing trip - all recommended and all booked with Nee at the resort. Great detour from the beached and islands and a nice place to stay. Nice clean rooms and lovely gardens.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We had a wonderful stay with Nee and Sisco although it rained pretty much all the time! But Nee made sure we were ok with umbrellas and ponchos and Sisco advised us what activities were best to so in the rain.
Nee's breakfasts are lovely and excellent food can be had down the road for lunch or dinner at Pawn, Thai Herb and Morning Mist.
We enjoyed the elephant trek and lake trip but missed out on the tubing and trekking due to the rain which we would have loved to do.
It was easy to locate Las Orquideas in Khao Sok which is literally resorts either side of a road leading to the National Park. We took the sleeper train from Bangkok and then bus to Khao Sok (just out of the front of the railway station in Surat Thani to the left is an inconspicuous bus stop - you can buy a ticket from the man sat at a small table on the side - the bus's final destination is Phuket). Once dropped off in Khao Sok we walk for approx 5 mins to the resort.
The rooms were beautiful and hot shower, amazing! We loved our stay here!

Room Tip: No Fitness centre or Spa. It is a steep walk up to the bungalows.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Helen G
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Although our trip is to Thailand is still a few months away, It is clear to us already that the owners of Las Orquideas Resort put the needs of their guests first. They have quickly replied in a clear way to each of our questions in emails and have graciously assisted us in several changes to our original reservation. Thanks for the exceptional costumer service in reservations and planning Las Orquideas Resort.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dmSantaCruz
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here as a solo traveller after reading favourable reviews on the sight - I was not dissapointed! The owner (Cee?) greeted me at the door with her two adorable dogs and she knew my name from my reservation which made the greeting personal. I was walked UP quite a distance to my own lodge and I couldn't believe how big it was - I did notice the reflective windows on backwards so I couldn't see outside unless the door was open. What a beautiful site! I'd recommend it to families and couples but as a solo traveller it was quite lonely and an experience I would rather have shared with someone else! A beautiful place - really worth a high rating for service alone!

• Stayed: August 2012
#1 of 1 in Phanom
Khao Sok Riverfront Resort
Khao Sok Riverfront Resort
#7 of 10 in Khao Sok National Park

Been to Khao Sok Las Orquideas Resort? Share your experiences!