“Grave disappointment, avoid!”

Ranked #16 of 18 La Barra B&B and Inns
Hong Kong, China
“Grave disappointment, avoid!”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

We decided to take the plunge and book a room at Pousada Bouland. They apparently now also call it 'Pulperia No Seas Malo' which I guess is a result of trying to further lure guests into booking overpriced accommodation there.

We were greeted by the owners in Punta del Este, who took us to our "villa". In fact, it was nothing more than a hostel with hardly any hot water and not even a proper lock for the property. We were safe to say very disappointed and asked Dolores (who is the manager) to cancel our remaining stay. She then became quite threatening and said that her boyfriend Alfredo "would not be happy". They charged as 250 USD per night for what should have been priced as a cheap hostel. Truly terrible!

This experience seriously destroyed some of the fun with Punta del Este and I sincerely advise people to look at other alternatives.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank wdonson
Bouland, Manager at Bouland Uruguay, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Bouland Inn is a rustic eclectic construct from Modern Green Building techniques, set in the woods. We are very similar in spirit to the pioneer Hawaiian surfer adventurers of the early 50's, but with modern features. We've created a casual, playful environment, perfect as a congregation point for surfers and adventurers.
The rooms only have hot water, and we don't have locks on any doors, including my own house and the restaurant, because I have lived here for 10 years and I have never been robbed. The only alarm system I have are my dogs, because none of my guests have ever had anything stolen, nor ever had any security issue.
There is no air conditioning in the rooms, for the walls are made of hard local clay with a fine clay finish, which creates the perfect indoor temperature. There is no TV in the whole establishment, nor electronic toys that could disrupt from enjoying the spectacular joy of living in the middle of the woods.
At the Bouland Inn you can book 1 of 3 cabins or the tree house to have your own room and a private bathroom. The cabin accommodations can be converted to sleep up to 5 persons for a single group or organized as a Hostel. Many of our guests enjoy the small Hostel experience.
Punta del Este, La Barra and Jose Ignacio, are known to be the highest priced at high season in all of South America, so take note. The price per night is non negotiable, it is a flat rate. If you do some research you will find it is one of the least expensive for the privacy and rural experience. La Barra hostels are usually expensive at peak season, and you will share the room and bathroom with a much larger crowd.
Bouland Inn is located in the rural area of La Barra on a parcel of 60,000 mt2, views of the woods around you, beautiful walking paths through the woods, to town, or to amazing beaches. La Barra beach is only 1500 meters away. You usually find surfers there.
I only have 3 cabins, each with a private bathroom, and a tree house. I offer a peaceful place, away from the crowds, but close to anything need. Here you won't be sharing the space with 100 other people; its only me, my horses, my dogs, my chickens, and a few other guests.
If you like to party, you are steps away from La Barra and not far from Punta del Este. If you like gambling you have the Mantra casino 1000 meters away. If you like crowded 'top' beaches you have Bikini Beach at only 3km away!
We hope you like a serene setting, scenery walks, the choice not to see anyone, getting to the beach through the woods, & adventures. You can talk to me, the owner. I can show you my world; my secret calm beaches, and some very nice walking tracks.
I can teach you how to surf, how to horseback ride, and I can also teach you all I know of Green Construction. My construction classes are for all ages, and it's a fun, relaxed experience.
For those of you that are looking for seclusion & serenity, even the calmest place in La Barra is not calm in high season. In high season even we get a little crowded with visitors that come to the restaurant "No Seas Malo". You will enjoy my rustic open air restaurant.
Sincerely, Alfonso

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Orange County, California
Reviewed January 2, 2011

This is a review and equally so a firm warning to fellow travellers contemplating booking Bouland Inn in the La Barra neighbourhood of Punta del Este (or Posada Bouland as they also market it as through various internet sources).

The "manager" Dolores and her boyfriend Alfonso who runs the place has been marketing the property as a bed and breakfast where according to their email "We have two separate houses both with stunning views of the Laguna Blanca (White Lagoon) and an outside kitchen where we serve up a free all you can eat breakfast every morning!". The breakfast was very basic with only dry bread etc. There is NO view over the Laguna Blanca, in fact there is no view of anything except for the local terrain. The houses are in fact mud shacks (marketed as an "eco lodge") without proper hot water, a properly function toilet, nor proper doors for the shack. The "outside kitchen" is the place where the owners spend most of the day playing loud music, and it is directly overlooking the mud shack they normally rent out to travellers, in other words no privacy is offered. The shack is VERY basic and very poorly lit.

The shack we rented over the Christmas holiday, which is considered the very peak season in Punta del Este, is marketed by the owners as having a "big bedroom, bathroom with walk-in closet, small living room and fully equipped kitchen."

There is NO walk-in closet, just an old closet placed in THE BATHROOM full of the owners' used clothes, which is frankly disgusting to keep there when paying guests are staying over. The kitchen is definitely not fully equipped, in fact there is only an old stove and no proper cutlery etc.

In their marketing email, it also states that "For your comfort we also have internet access, cleaning service, bikes, surf boards and horses".

This is a completely fraudulent statement as there is NO internet access offered on the property.

The owners charged us USD $180 per night during the Christmas/New Year's season on the basis of completely false information. We would strongly warn other travellers to book this property. The male owner Alfonso and his friends also acted rudely to us, and had friends hanging around the house we booked all day and all evening - showing no respect or consideration for privacy whatsoever.

To reiterate, this property is also marketed as Posada Bouland and to call it a bed and breakfast is to strongly mislead guests paying almost $200 USD per night to live in a mud shack without hot water or working sanitation.

The owners justified this highly excessive rate by the fact that it was high season, but we found for similar money a proper seaside hotel in the centre of La Barra. The location of Bouland (unless you walk through the forest) is an around 2 km walk on stone roads, which is also misleading given that the owners stated that it was "1 km from the main street of La Barra". The shack and the service of the owners was of lower quality than that of a backpackers hostel, a very disappointing experience.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple