“Awful”

Backpacker de La Barra
London, United Kingdom
“Awful”
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Staff were extremely rude, especially Paul. The hostel itself was lovely but because the staff were so militant (e.g. only one toilet role per person per week, all towels to be hung outside on washing line and not in room) our stay was not as enjoyable as if we had stayed at any of the other hostels. It also takes a good 10 to 15 minutes to get to the hostel from the main road, which is a nightmare with a backpack!
We went during New Year's Eve week and it was very busy with noisy young backpackers wanting to have some fun, which the staff could not cope with. The only option of food at the hostel is to buy a frozen pizza and cook it in the under equipped kitchen. Food in the area was quite expensive, unless bought from supermarket, so it would have been useful for the hostel to stock more food/have a cook.
Would not recommend to anyone! Stay at Iguana de La Barra instead which is nicer, has much more friendlier staff and is in a better location than La Barra Backpackers.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank sshamim97

Families
Netherlands
Reviewed February 24, 2009

We stayed here for two nights with a group of 11 friends. We booked the rooms by the pool. The place is well situated but a bit far from the beach and a 20 minute drive from the beaches in Punta del este. Very very friendly and cooperative staff who organized scooters and a sailing trip for us. Many thanks!
Laid back atmosphere and free internet. Relaxing stay especially if you have your own transportation.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank MRBNetherlands
Reviewed February 15, 2009

Guys please be carefull about this hostel.

The place its really nice, but the owner and the whole staff its terrible....I had been traveling since three months and unfortunaly I choose this hostel to spent my New Year!!!.

The hostel its ok but the owner of this place and the staff abuse of my sister and me. We went to the police bacause this people stole my sister´s cell phone and also they charge me 100 dollars per two beds for my and my sister in a room for 8 people that we not even used it!!!!! I call the day before my chek in to let them know that I was really sick in a hospital in Buenos Aires and they charge me any way!! I have a minihostels discount card and they didn´t gave me the discount!!!

The cleaning of the hostel its really bad, they dont have not even spoons to use in the kitchen ...They rent the dishes!

The first day of january in the morning one of the administrators arrastment sexually to my sister. He told her to go with he to his room!!! This is absurd!!! She rejected the guy and since that day they tried to ruin our vacations!!! At the end, the last day they interrupt into the room at 11:00 in the morning and they wake up us to tell us that they need the beds inmediatly, and we were sleeping!!! I couldn´t believe it!!! They not even allows to take a shower!!!!!

I remember the compalins of a lot of girls in the bathroom....it was really disgusting!! The room never was cleaned in six days that I spent there!!!

I remember one day in a line waiting for my breakfast for 15 minutes with another two girls from Europe and when I finally get into the front the guy just shut the window in our faces!! We were in shock!! I went to the owner of the hostel and he told me that if I pay beer I get beer!!!! I could believe it!! I was paying 50 dollar per bed in a room of 8 people!!! That was really crazy and scary!! Please dont go there!!! Never go to this hostel!! Be carefull!!!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends