What a big surprise waited for us at the Mountain Sheep Lodge. We stayed there previously but that was maybe 8-10 years ago? Since then I always recommended this place on TA and every time we drove by we stated we should stay there again one day. Well, we did. I have to admit this is not the same place it used to be. First, a young clerk who checked us in made inappropriate remarks to us about an older couple who she just checked in. I don’t know what she was referring to but we are not that young as well. Maybe because a woman asked if they can drive up to the cabin to unload their luggage instead of carrying it uphill? We never met the owner(s) but I don’t think this is the same person or persons who owned this business when we visited previously.
Our cabin (the same one) did not change much. It is still clean but got older and it shows. The linoleum floors are the same. Showers are the same. I cannot recall a heater during our previous visit but it is placed in a peculiar place against the wall in the corner which means it got hot on one side of the room but a bathroom was cold. There were small refrigerator and microwave in our cabin which we did not use because we decided to eat at the restaurant. What can I say? Once again, this is not the dining experience we remembered. What happened to delicious juicy hamburgers and satisfying specials? In our cabin there was also a coffee pot but it was so dirty we weren't brave enough to use it.
There was road construction right outside the lodge and we could hear sounds of the work until about 9 pm and then they started at 7 am. I realize the lodge cannot do anything about it.
The setting of the Sheep Mountain Lodge as always is spectacular but the lodge now has more buildings and very busy parking lot. If we stayed in one newer cabin (1-4) we probably we wouldn't be disappointed.
Anyway, this place used to be remarkably clean with nice sheets, towels, bedding. There is still a nice quilt on the bed but other small bed in our cabin had an old tattered blanket and probably the same sheets are there since the lodge opened. They are worn out and look like they should be replaced already. The lodge advertises free wireless in the main building but after 15 minutes trying to get connected I gave up. In conclusion, this is not a terrible place to stay in but comparing to other lodging (11) during our long annual visit the Sheep Mountain Lodge was the most disappointing and overpriced. Maybe because we had high expectations and were counting on the same experiences we had years ago.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Sheep Mountain Lodge. Located at the base of the Sheep Mountains at Mile 113 of the Glenn Hwy #1, Sheep Mountain Lodge has been serving Alaskans and travelers since 1946. On the road to Alaska's Interior region, the Lodge is noted for it's cleanliness, hospitality, good food and recreational opportunities. Dall sheep are frequently seen grazing on the mountainside just behind the Lodge. In the summer months, local trails provide ample opportunity for hiking, wildflower walks and wildlife viewing. In the winter months cross-country skiers, snowmobilers and dog mushers explore the areas many trails and recreational opportunities. We offer home-cooked meals made with the freshest ingredients possible, proudly supporting our Alaskan farmers and fishermen whenever possible. We hope to see you at Sheep Mountain Lodge! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz so you can book your Sheep Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheep Mountain Hotel Glacier View
- Sheep Mountain Lodge Alaska/Glacier View