“Matanuska Getaway”
Review of MICA Guides

MICA Guides
More attraction details
Owner description: Alaska glacier tours and ice climbing since 1999. Join us for a unique adventure just two hours from Anchorage. Discover glacier trekking or ice climbing on the blue ice of the Matanuska Glacier. Adventures for most ages and abilities.Get off the boat or out of the bus and actually walk on a glacier with our professional guides. Over 17,000 guests have enjoyed our glacier trekking and ice climbing. Now includes the fastest zipline in Alaska and helicopter tours.
Reviewed September 5, 2017

For our ten year wedding anniversary, we were torn between choosing Hawaii or Alaska. We are so glad we chose the latter and that we chose Exposure Alaska to make our experience the most memorable for us. We decided to choose the Matanuska Getaway, which is only a 3 day trip, because we figured we would want to go explore other parts of Alaska on our own. We had such a blast with Exposure, we wish we had booked a longer stay with them. The owner Don, was so helpful throughout the entire booking process, and recommended places to see and stay during our time after Exposure.

The views of the glacier, the wild life, the planned tours and our amazing guides, all surpassed our expectations. They were awesome! Our guides were professional, knowledgable, friendly and we felt like close friends by the end of the trip. They were able to adjust our experience based on our skill and physical ability levels, which added more excitement to our trip. Our safety was paramount at all times and we had full confidence in their abilities to guide our adventure. Moreover, the food at the camp was great! We were expecting beans and weenies and other cliche camping food, but what we got was some great Alaskan cooking: Fresh Salmon, BBQ chicken, homemade breads and granola, among other things. In addition, while there was a lot of stuff to cover on our daily agenda, there was also a lot of time to relax and unwind. It was the only vacation where I didn't think about work, unless someone asked me about my job. Normally, when we go somewhere we still have home somewhere on the mind, but not here. Finally, this experience didn't seem touristy. After we finished our trip with Exposure, we spent a few days in other parts of Alaska, and the tours we did just weren't the same.

Date of experience: July 2017
in 18 reviews
"great guide"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed September 4, 2017

Great guide! Super fun time and well worth it. I felt informed and safe throughout the whole experience

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed September 3, 2017

This is our second time using Mica Guides. On our previous trip, my wife and I did their basic Ice Fall Trek. This time I took their Advanced Trek with two friends. I was a bit concerned with the weather as we started our trip as it was raining lightly, but it dwindled to light off and on showers during our trip, and was not a problem. In fact, the overcast skies made for better photos! Our guide Scott did a great job and included going part way down into a Moulin (a hole in the glacier), and I got to straddle a crevasse to get a photo! Take the extra time to try this fantastic trip!

Reviewed September 3, 2017

I took my family on MICA's Ice Falls glacier hike at the end of August, and it was a memorable trip. Our tour guide had three years of experience and took us as far as she could in the three hours allotted time. She also answered all of our questions, helped us take pictures, and pointed out cool geological features she found along the way. She made sure everyone on the trip was safe and practiced safe hiking; the trip was not strenuous for anyone in my group (ages 16-50). My only suggestion would be to change the type of bread used in the sandwiches from the MICA coffee shop, it was a little dry. Highly recommend!