“Incredible ice climbing adventure”
Review of Mica Guides

Mica Guides
More attraction details
Owner description: Alaska glacier tours and ice climbing since 1999. Join us for a unique adventure just two hours from Anchorage. Discover glacier trekking or ice climbing on the blue ice of the Matanuska Glacier. Adventures for most ages and abilities.Get off the boat or out of the bus and actually walk on a glacier with our professional guides. Over 17,000 guests have enjoyed our glacier trekking and ice climbing. Now includes the fastest zipline in Alaska.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We had an amazing Alaska vacation consisting of hiking, backpacking, kayaking among icebergs the size of houses, biking next to grizzly bears in Denali, etc etc but I think our favorite experience was ice climbing on the Matanuska Glacier with the MICA guides. It was such a thrill and the scenery was spectacular. The MICA guides (Reese and Grant) were very friendly and knowledgable. They made sure we had an incredible time on the ice.

Many Thanks!

2  Thank Fan1xfiles
There are newer reviews for Mica Guides

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I had originally booked an Ice Fall Trek & Zipline excursion for 4 people on New Year Eve 2012. On June 12th, I had to call and cancel 2 of those because my youngest son had broken his foot and had a cast put on. And in case you are wondering - no you cannot put a crampon on a cast! (Yes, I asked. :) ) They were very accommodating when I had to cancel. Because I had booked so far in advance, they weren't able to issue a credit to my credit card, but they did send me a refund check. There is an additional Glacier Access Fee that is not included in the price and you pay when you check in. It was $20 at the time we were there. This is because the access road to the glacier is actually on private property. The landowner maintains the bridge and road which the access fees help pay for.

Trekking on a glacier was something I had always wanted to do and I was expecting this to be a highlight of our land based vacation and I wasn't disappointed. We arrived early for our 9:30 excursion and had a chance to check-in and get a cup of coffee from the coffee hut right there on site. I also had to re-confirm the cancellation because they still had 4 people booked for the excursion. No problem though since they could see the cast on my youngest's foot.

At 9:30, we gathered in the gear hut and were fitted for helmets and crampons. Make sure you wear waterproof boots with a fairly stiff sole for the crampons. I don't think soft sided shoes like tennis shoes would work very well and they will get wet and muddy.

After getting our gear in order, we loaded up on a bus and headed out to the glacier. Upon arrival, I put my waterproof pants over my jeans and we all made one last "pit stop" before heading out to the ice. We didn't have our crampons on at first as you are walking over mostly morraine (something I learned about in 5th grade and was oh so happy to finally make use of that knowledge!). Once we got to the end of the glacier, we sat on some rocks (boy was I thankful for the waterproof pants) to put on our crampons. We then had a brief lesson in how to walk in them and the best ways to go up a hill and down a hill. There were only 4 of us total in our group so the lesson went fast and we were off trekking on a glacier!

Our guide was very informative about the various formations and we even got to fill our water bottles with fresh, icy cold, glacier water! Oh My Gosh - it was soooooo cold and refreshing. Make sure you bring a water bottle so you can do this. We were on the ice for about 2 1/2 hours. It really is a great workout for your thighs, knees & ankles.

After we returned, my oldest son and I were scheduled to do the zipline at 2:30 which is at another location which I didn't know when I booked. Being that I told my husband he didn't have to return until about 3pm, we had no way of getting to the other site. Luckily, our guide had to head over to the other site and while they normally don't transport guests, they did make an exception for us.

The zipline is ok. It's a single zip and your done. Since I had never done a zipline before, it was a great introduction. I'll be ziplining again in the future knowing that it's not as scary as it looks. I wouldn't book the ziplining as a solo excursion though as you would be disappointed.

3  Thank Michelle F
Reviewed December 7, 2013

If you travelling to enjoy beauty of Alaska and if Anchorage is one of your stop, we would highly recommend to drive bit in north east direction from Anchorage to enjoy spectacular views of Matanuska Glacier, just do it. If you are new, unsure about the whole glacier walk/hike, approach MICA guides. Their team members are knowledgeable, experienced. We took 1.5 hours Glacier hike tour. It was fantastic to walk on Glacier while listening the details/geography about the surrounding area from the guide. Just awesome experience with MICA guides during our first ever Glacier hike. Keep going MICA guides!!

2  Thank travelerenthu
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We took the 1.5 hr Glacier Hike first. It turned out that the guide just led us around the glacier, with almost no view points. And he suggested us upgrade to the 3hr one at the turn point of the hike. Since we didn't see what we expected to see, we agreed to upgrade. Then the really trip started. We had great experience and views after the upgrade. So the 1.5 hr hike was just a waste of time. And they only counted the time that we spent on the glacier, not how far we went. So hurry up and you can see more!

3  Thank Hao T
Reviewed September 15, 2013

It's been 2 years since we've moved to Anchorage and I don't know why we have not done this sooner! The guides (we had Phil) are very knowledgeable and very patient. Our group (I thought) was difficult to handle since there were one teenager, 2 younger couples and an elderly lady. To myself, I thought we were going to miss a lot of the more challenging treks but Phil managed to satisfy everyone without compromising safety. The glacier was beautiful despite a little bit of rain. This is definitely one the coolest things we've done since we've moved to Alaska. Looking forward to doing the ice climb next summer!

2  Thank MrsCuengco