“Friendly, traditional pub with rooms.”
Review of The Village Inn

and 1 more site!
The Village Inn
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Just returned from 4 nights at the Village Inn and would happily return though there are minor niggles.
We stayed in room 5, the luxury suite, which is a bit of a misnomer, it is just a room that is larger than the other doubles, but is at the rear of the pub and has great views over the surrounding countryside.
The bed was large and comfortable, and a chaise longue provided us with somewhere to sit.
The room was clean but there was no bedside clock, the en suite was a bit on the small side and the loo seat was the cheapest I've ever seen.
A quid spent on a teapot would have been nice, as would a visitor/welcome pack.
The pub has a very lively atmosphere and the staff are very friendly and helpful, they really give the impression that they care about their customers.
It is loud and sound does travel through the floors, earplugs are provided, but it is easier to join in and go to bed when it quietens down. If you want to go to bed with a mug of Horlicks at 9pm, this is probably not the place for you.
Food is cooked fresh to order, portions are generous and made from good quality ingredients.
The cooked breakfast follows the same pattern, but we would have much preferred a teapot rather than the DIY jug of hot water and a teabag or sachet of coffee.
Our main grumble is around payment.
We were asked to pay our bill for accommodation on arrival, and then found out we couldn't put drinks and food onto our bill.
If we ate in we could put the food and drinks on a tab which had to be paid by 10pm, but other than that everything had to be paid for at the time of purchase which meant we had to go in search of a cash machine in Alnwick.
I can't remember the last time we stayed somewhere that didn't allow a tab to be set up, even if it was just a pad which on which drinks, food etc, were written, a signature taken and then added up at the end of our stay.
It is a great pub, the cost of food and accommodation is good value for money, but little niggles prevent us from rating it as excellent.

Room Tip: Room 5 is good, if travelling alone choose a double with single occupancy, the single looked pretty...

Reviewed August 26, 2013

I recently had a three night stay in the Inn and it was an experience never to be repeated.

When I arrived I was shown to room 4 which looked to be very clean and tidy. I was aware that I had booked a single en suite and had booked it as it was close to where I needed to be and it was the only one available in the area. What I did not know was the room was extremely small, approx. 7 ft square and had two velux ceiling windows for natural light. The en suite shower room was equally small but provided a good supply of hot water. During my stay, the room was not cleaned, nor were the towels changed. My requests were unanswered, although my request for more tea bags and milk were.

I had read the information on the Inns website which did indeed mention 'noise from the bar can travel through the stone walls during opening hours'. On my first evening the live music (which was very good) started at 8pm and finished around 11pm which with the associated bar noise which followed the end of the music meant that sleep before 1am was impossible. The other two evenings followed the same pattern. An ear protector vending machine is handily located in the upstairs hallway for use by visitors.

I did not eat breakfast at the Inn due to their opening times, but can certainly agree with other reviewers that the food and beer served in the evenings was exceptionally good and varied.

In summary...if you want a good nights sleep, do not stay at The Village Inn, if, on the other hand you like your music so loud that it rocks your bedroom floor and vibrates through the toilet, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Cats W
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The friendly nature and service of the staff was very good right from the start. The manager (owner?) was especiallly friendly and accommodating. His dark beer was surprisingly good!
Getting to the room meant going up the stairs next to the kitchen cupboard and entrance and was threadbare and a bit grungy.
Upstairs, the hallways looked not quite finished and cheaply done or DIY. The rooms had been done recently and in good taste, however again just seemed to be done on the cheap. Our cold water tap was loose in the sink and the shower was also very loose in its mounting, although both functioned perfectly. We stayed on a Friday night, and true to their website's warnings we heard loud music, but the Village Inn sympathetically had installed an earplug dispenser in the hall to ease our slumber. The room was very clean, and the bed comfortable, but the sleigh style bed sported a splintery, fist sized depression in the thin wood at the footboard which distracted from the overall impression of the room.
We paid £79 via Laterooms.com but we thought this was overpriced.
Evening meal was mostly tasty. Veg were bland, but meat and the Sticky Toffee pud was very good. Breakfast seemed a bit skimpy for a full English, including the smallest sausage I've ever seen. Beans were served in a little bowl, which kept them hot and tidily out of the other items on the plate. We made our own instant coffee or tea from the table from a hot water jug, which was less than inspiring.
Some attention to detail and continual improvement could make this a cozy stop worth a revisit.

Room Tip: All rooms are above the bar area, and suffer bar noise.
1  Thank Dan W
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Arrived on a Weds evening for a 3 night stay, pub was busy with drinkers and diners every night. We found the menu to be varied - all the choices we made were delicious. One of the highlights was the beer brewed by Phil at nearby micro-brewery. Our room was very comfortable, clean and well equipped. We would recommend everyone to visit if only for a meal

Reviewed August 15, 2013

It’s rare that you come across pub food this good, and I don’t think the staff realise just how good it is! I was staying at the Linden Hall three and a half miles away and spotted this place while driving back one evening. Sick of room service I drove up the road for some traditional pub food and the menu looked decent and there were plenty of specials available too. I had the battered brie special followed by the steak special on the first night and, because it was so good, I went back the next night and had the stuffed chicken breast special.

The portions are absolutely huge and eating three courses would be a Man vs Food style challenge, but unlike many pubs that do big portions, the quality is such that you can tell the management and chef really care about what they’re cooking – everything tastes fresh, homemade and you can tell that someone has put passion into the menu. I travel around and eat out a lot and it’s no exaggeration to say that this has to be the best pub food I’ve ever had, and if you’re vaguely near the area it’s worth a visit.

It cannot be easy running a pub in this area – there are hundreds of country pubs all serving food and the seasonal nature of Northumberland must mean that the emphasis goes on the drink and the regulars which can often make diners and visitors feel like an afterthought, but the Village Inn doesn’t seem to have these problems – it remains, unequivocally, a traditional village pub, but it’s selling point is the food, and if there’s any justice this place will gain a national reputation as a destination pub, providing the management and chef do not get headhunted!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank GarethK95
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I had Squid which was lovely, kids chicken nuggets and chips were gorgeous and the burger was honestly the best beefburger i have tasted. It doesnt try to hard impress but thats the whole point !. If you want a good ale,a great Burger and chips and live music this is the pub for you !.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Bobbyboak
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a midweek dinner here and although there wasn't much atmosphere on a cold week night the staff were very friendly and the food was good fresh pub grub! Lovely spot in front of fire.

• Stayed: March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Longframlington
Macdonald Linden Hall Golf & Country Club
#1 of 2 in Newton on the Moor
Alnwick Lodge
Alnwick Lodge
#26 of 69 in Alnwick

Been to The Village Inn? Share your experiences!