“I am moved to report an excellent evening out”

The Three Wheat Heads Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Thropton B&B and Inns
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“I am moved to report an excellent evening out”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We are staying at a self- catering place in Rothbury and Margaret suggested she take me out for a birthday evening meal. I said it was a lovely idea but that I doubted if we could find a good local place for an evening meal. Lunch-time......yes, lots of choice, but it all seems to shut down in the evenings, well, apart from pubs wih music. The thing is that my birthday this year is on a Monday and that is when all the restauranteurs take a day off. Also, Margaret is a vegetarian and I get worried about the "also-ran" type single vegetarian choices on the menu which give you the feeling of the chef deigning to produce something like a watery risotto because, it seems, meatless is no real food and they grudgingly produce somthing with a recipe considerably less imagintive than mine (and I don't even get paid for the cooking). I don't want to feed my face whilst she is being treated as a freak. Anyway, so much for that particular rant because I was wrong; again!!! Margaret found this place which offered to do the necessary.

We called in to have a look and to make a booking and were met with a very pleasant welcome. When we visited we were impressed that there was a separate fish menu and a veggie menu on offer in addition to a varied mainstream menu. The decor is unpretentious but very pleasant, as is the friendly service, and you eat behind large glass windows with a view of Coquet valley with Simonside Hills behind. On a warm day like this you may also sit outside. Some of the food on offer has a Greek emphasis and I went for one of those. The lady serving said they had a Greek chef but he was not on duty tonight but the item was available anyway. "I suppose he cooks it and freezes it to serve later" I said. "No" she said, "we don't freeze food; it is left cool and cooked fresh". True, my meal was delicious, as was Margaret's. We had such a lovely evening that we were willing to accept gracefully when the pudding was delayed.

The view at the back is fantastic and Margaret thought she would look over the wall at the back to sketch it. There is the river, the hills, the farms and the trees....but unfortunately just behind also a terrible shack with what looked like a pair of knickers hanging in a window. They say its going to be removed. Beyond that is lovely!!

Do go, have a lovely meal, but don't look over the wall! Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Northumberland
Reviewed June 25, 2013

It may seem a little strange to find a Northumberland village restaurant with a mix of English, Greek and Moroccan items on the menu but this restaurant has a Greek chef who is creating superb Greek food. I tried the Lamb Kapama a slow cooked lamb dish served with rice and lemon potatoes - delicious. My Mum opted for the Pork Afelia - pork fillet cooked in a cream, mustard and chorizo sauce - it looked like she had a whole pork fillet on her plate and the dish was served with seasonal vegetables which included beetroot and spring cabbage. Again we could not fault the food - combined with the excellent service from Sarah behind the bar this is definitely on our list of places to visit again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Definitely worth a visit, lovely staff and excellent food. Myself and my partner visit every Friday evening as we enjoy it so much, plenty of variety on the menu and brilliant friendly staff especially Sarah.

Newcastle
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We live in Amble so we aren't a million miles away but this restaurant is worth a drive out.
The menu is fantastic with some beautiful Greek and Morrocan dishes. The Lamb dishes (my favourite) are always delicious. Fresh ingredients, beautiful flavours and generous quantities.
I can not recommend this place more. Catch a day when the sun is shining and sit in the back garden, the views are breath taking!
A hidden gem.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This Inn is a real find. The food is excellent, all freshly prepared with first class ingredients. Nicely appointed bedroom and bathroom. The staff are very helpful and friendly. We will highly recommend this venue to all our friends

North Ferriby, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night with our 3 dogs on the way back from trialling them in Scotland. What a little gem! We had been drenched in Edinburgh so were looking forward to a nice cosy room and good food - and we were not disappointed.The room was really nicely decorated and the bed comfy - though the carpet was so thick I could have slept on the floor. The food was excellent and beautifully presented and served up by friendly but unobtrusive staff. I had the Lamb Kapama and my wife had the breast of duck (though from the size it could have been a goose!!) both were fabulous. I coudn't manage a dessert but my wife had the galactosomething - a greek dessert with filo , honey and a brulee type filling. It was passed as fabulous! The restaurant had a lovely ambience with great views and was full of non-residents - always a good sign. We will definately return when we're next up there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaulnJanUK
Oberoesterreich
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed it. It's in a good location both for day trips, and for relaxing over a meal with great views of the Simonside Hills. The food was excellent, and served in such quantities that we never could manage a dessert in the whole time we were there. The Lamb Kapama was out of this world. The menu was very broad, from traditional foods (steak and ale pie) to Greek dishes (beef stefado), and a good range in-between including fish. The room was fine, a few draughts from the ill-fitting windows, but as we usually have windows open at home it didn't worry us. It was quiet, being at the rear of the building, and and had the same view over the Simonside Hills as the dining room. The staff were all very friendly and helpful, and George (the owner) was always at hand either working in the kitchen, or looking after guests.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thropton
Eshott Hall
#3 of 12 in Rothbury
The Queens Head
The Queens Head
#5 of 12 in Rothbury

Been to The Three Wheat Heads Inn? Share your experiences!