“Better than expected” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Old Ship
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Better than expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Having read some of the reviews here on Trip Advisor, I was prepared for disappointment, but I have to say that I was quite impressed with the Old Ship. As other positive reviews have said, the landlady Jackie is very welcoming and helpful, and something else that I don't think has been mentioned is that she really cares about serving a good pint of real ale.

I stayed on Monday the 28th October, when there was a quiz on, which the friendly locals invited me to join in with, and there was a choice of 2 real ales - one from the Burton Bridge Brewery, and the one I drank a few pints of, which was superb, but potent enough for me to totally forget what it was!!

Even though I booked, and only paid for, a single room, (at the last minute) I got a double bed, in a room with tremendous sea views. Jackie explained that the rooms were allocated on a first booked, first choice basis, and I know I wasn't the only guest, so there must be even better rooms than mine. The shower had a good flow, and was plenty hot enough.

I partook of the £2.50 light breakfast, which was very good value using my patent "how does it compare with a Morrison's cafe meal" method. (For American readers, Morrison's is a Yorkshire-based supermarket chain, whose cafes provide good basic freshly-cooked food at sensible prices) . I would certainly recommend the Old Ship to anyone travelling to Northumberland - indeed, I already have done so.

I note that there has previously been critical comments about the look of the place from the front, but it kinda has two fronts - one facing the sea, and one facing the main road through the village, and it is the one on the main road which is uninviting. The one that faces the "prom" is fine.

Room Tip: Based on what Jackie said - book early.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank buggyite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Rajz46 was spot on, I couldnt agree more, the price was good and the welcome was warm, the atmosphere welcoming, and the locals were great. Easy too find, on high street. I always check reviews on trip advisor but tend to check things out for my self, some people can give such bad impressions. Highly recommended would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Steve A
Wakefield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a really lovely old building in this traditional seaside town and well worth a visit. My husband and I were staying localy and were out for a walk and decided to call in for a drink. This a warm, friendly traditional pub with a good atmosphere. Used by local people, visitors like us and residents, so a mixed set of people. I did notice that they did food and Sunday Lunch was advertised. We really enjoyed our visit and would be more that happy to call in again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Strongbow110
Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Totally disappointed last minute booking for nice night away arrived at 7pm in pitch black found door at back no one in site did not smell very welcoming bit damp so cut our losses and left did not like the idea of staying overnight could not find parking space would definitely give this a miss

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kaggs_13
Morton, Washington, Usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

About 4 years ago I visited this hotel and had a couple of wonderful evening meals there.
So, I thought I'd go and stay there on this last trip.
Arrived at the hotel about 2.00pm and the place was locked up like Fort Knox. Finally found a door and gave it a good bang. We were greeted with - you're early, we don't open until 5.30pm. Fine thing for a pub wit5h a good patio overlooking the sea.
Anyway, we were shown our room. The room was cold and asked about heating and was told it comes on at 3.30pm. It came on about 4.00pm. They don't do meals anymore so we had to find somewhere else.
They had entertainment that night - 2 entertainers and 2 others listening.
Going to bed we discovered no hand towels or glasses.
In the morning we discovered that there was no bath mat. The hot water for the sink was hot, but the shower just had the chill off of it.
So, no hand towels, no bath mat, no glasses, no hot shower water.
So, we decided to leave as we couldn't see it getting better.
We asked for our money back (they were the only hotel that took our funds up front when we booked) but was refused as 'we may have been able to let the room'.
We had breakfast at a restaurant and told of our experience. The local said the ship is sinking. We think it has. A pub that doesn't open until 5.30pm?? The others in town were open during the day.
The restaurant and lounge were both 'chock-a-block' full of stuff.
The woman told us that we should have mentioned things earlier. I told her we shower in the morning not at night and that is why we didn't know these things.
Just for the exercise I rang the hotel at 5.40pm to see if they had a room. No oneanswered and the answering machine came on. Likewise again at 6.45pm. Then I received a phone call from the hotel. Yes, they had rooms but it was probably too late. I said 'yes, it is and we had to make other arrangements.
Too bad that the place is run down. It is in such a prime position and I was thoroughly disappointed after looking forward to it so much. Amazing how quickly it has gone down.
I certainly would NOT try and stay there again.

Room Tip: Room overlooked the ocean but I will never go there again. It is just run down and the atmosphere of...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Ronald F
Concord, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Our room was cozy, the breakfast generous, and the staff and owner were very friendly. I was even invited on stage to sing a song! Wonderful value in this small seaside town. The place values its history, and one can walk from one end of the boardwalk or Main Street from end to end and learn about its origins and love for its place in English history.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Mistered7591
Bridport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and I, and a friend, stayed with Jackie at The Old Ship. Heavens, it was great. We came in a bit wet and Jackie immediately put the heating on - no nonsense about waiting until the timer said 'Yes'. OK, it's in the process of being updated but the rooms were spotless, the views to die for, and Jackie and her staff just lovely. Nothing was too much trouble, we could bring in takeaways and have them with a drink in the bar, the locals were friendly. All in all, we just loved it.The Old Ship faces the bay, which was calm when round the headland it was pretty turbulent. It is right on the promenade so it's simple to walk along to the cafe and museum at the end, and the lovely church. When all is updated it's going to be even better.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and ensuite. Our bathroom was across the corridor and not a problem, but my frien...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank margie1945
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newbiggin-by-the-Sea
Premier Inn Ashington Hotel
#2 of 4 in Newbiggin-by-the-Sea
Number 21
Number 21
#1 of 4 in Newbiggin-by-the-Sea

Been to The Old Ship? Share your experiences!