My wife, 21 month old toddler and I booked into Derwent Manor on a Groupon deal for one night at a very reasonable rate. The hotel looks a little like a castle or fortified house and sits well in this beautiful area of County Durham, atop a hill overlooking a snowy valley. It hits the mark for being in a rural area, however there isn't much in the immediate vicinity.
When we checked in the manager was great with us and our little girl, who got a little bag of sweets which was nice of him.
The room itself was easily large enough for the three of us with two beds and a cot bed and warm enough despite the cold weather. The bed was a little soft as we're used to memory foam.
Part of the deal was a meal in the restaurant. Here again Derwent Manor showed themselves to be very accommodating to families as we mentioned that we'd like to eat as early as possible with our little girl so they let us into the restaurant before opening. This meant that she wasn't as tired and hungry as she would have been and ensured that it was nice and quiet as we battled with her to eat those first few spoon-fulls... The waiting staff were lovely and took an interest in our daughter (as well as a lot of the other diners who arrived later, as she was being quite loudly cute...)
We made good use of the spa facilities. The pool isn't huge but I don't think it needs to be given the number of people using it - it was fairly quiet so we could enjoy some family splash time.
When we were checking out the manager again doted on our little girl, and she was given a gratefully-received Easter egg.
In summary a very enjoyable stay that matched what we'd heard from other people who had stayed here. We'll certainly keep Derwent Manor at the forefront of our mind when we have a family leisure stay again. We've often gone to the Durham Radisson in the past but DM is much more family friendly and gets my vote.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Beautifully set in twenty acres of Northumberland countryside and overlooking the Derwent Valley, Derwent Manor offers the warmest of welcomes. With its country house ambiance, elegant decor and professional team, this is the ideal venue for business and leisure guests alike. Derwent Manor boasts 48 spacious en-suite bedrooms , doubles, double x doubles and suites many with stunning views over the Northumberland countryside. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel Allensford
- Best Western Northumberland
- Best Western Hotel Northumberland