“Excellent value,no complaints at all”

Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Allensford
Malton, United Kingdom
“Excellent value,no complaints at all”
Reviewed May 23, 2011

my wife and i have just returned from a 2 night (fri & sat) weekend break at this hotel and could have absolutely no complaints at all.All the staff were pleasant and friendly,the guy running the gym/pool complex was very helpful and was more than willing to explain how all the equipment worked.The food served was all of a very high standard,whether it was breakfast or a meal in the restaurant .The hotel was busy on both nights there was a corporate event on the friday and a wedding on the saturday but you couldnt tell as it made no difference to how people staying at the hotel were treated,service wasnt compromised.We were staying on the Tesco Clubcard vouchers and i was a bit worried after reading some of the other reviews but i neednt have been as at no time were we treated as second class guests.Some of the other reviews pick on minor things but to be quite honest if you were to complain about anything here it is either because you have gone determined to find a problem or you are one of lifes eternal moaners and should have remembered when you booked that this is a 3 star hotel in Northumberland and not a 5 star in the middle of London and to be fair the hotel isnt trying to be anything that it isnt.

1 Thank andy2465

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I'm Really disappointed in having to write a bad Review about The Derwent Manor as my Husband and I actually got married there in September 07, The Hotel back then was amazing, The staff were fantastic and the rooms were lovely. (Top Hotel)
But we decided to go back for two nights BB with the Tesco clubcard as a sort of last break before our baby arrived. And like the other reviews felt discriminated for it been a offer, The Room was very Shabby ie.. wallpaper hanging off walls and two chairs placed in the room were all ripped. The bath tap was corroded all the Gold stuff was coming off in to the bath so I needed a shower after having a bath to get all that off. The Breakfast was terrible best bit about it was the toast. The three girls that were serving on the morning looked like they were forced to work and that they would rather be watching paint dry. On two occasions I noticed them talking about guests and pulling faces. The rooms in the Hotel needs updating urgently and the some of the staff need bullets up their bums. We would go back as it is a special place for us but would love them to put some money back in to the place and update it.

Room Tip: Get upgraded to one of their suites.
4 Thank FROW11
OHIML, General Manager at Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
Delighted to hear you had your very special day with us back in September 2007, please be reassured all our 30 or so Tesco clubcard breaks are all treated fairly and not discrimanted against due to being an offer.

Certain areas of the hotel are now due for a re decoration and this is being planned.

Comments regards the Northumbrian breakfast are a little surprising as we serve in excess of 650 breakfasts each week to which our regular clients inform us it is very good.

On a slightly negative comment the staff on duty that day will be re trained in the art of discreet service.
York
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I got this hotel for a last minute stop over and I was not disappointed. An amazing location with everything you could need. I upgraded the room and ended up with the best one in the hotel - Derwent Room 1. It was worth every penny with panoromic views of the countryside, a huge rustic white bed and plenty of room the relax. The bathroom was equally as breathtaking.
On arrival, we recieved a bottle of white wine and luxuary chocolates in our room, it was a nice little touch.
We got a deal where we got a 3 course evening meal and full english breakfast. We booked in for our evening meal at 8.15pm, but unfortunatly by then the lamb that was on the menu had run out by popular demand, so my fiance had to order another dish, but he was more than happy with it. The food was stunning, something you would expect in a high class restaurant.
There is a spa on site and it was clean and well looked after. In the jaccuzzi you could look over the countryside and let all of your worries leave you. It's a nice little extra for a top quality hotel.
I would highly recommend this to anyone who is looking to stay in the area. It costs a little more than a standard hotel, but you pay for quality and you sure get that at Derwent Manor.
I had a lovely stay and would like to have stayed longer than the one night.

Room Tip: Derwent Room 1 - By far the best room
2 Thank Stefyork
Reviewed May 9, 2011

My wife and I have stayed in this hotel many times. It's not a five star hotel by any means and it caters for many weddings but it is ideally situated for the stunning North Pennines and the restaurant is good and the prices are reasonable. The staff are predominantly local which is refreshing and there's a massive car park and free wi-fi plus a leisure centre. There is an ample selection of rooms including suites.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank nahcarts
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2011

We stayed on special offer of £79 per room night dbb for 5 nights. Food is first-rate. Excellent, quiet room with large twin beds and splendid views over the Derwent Valley. Staff helpful and friendly. Very convenient for walking/touring the region. Would recommend a stay here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank BarryHaynes
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Big hotel set out over lots is levels . Rooms are big with all the trimmings
Great view from room over valley
Health club is well run, clean & tidy

• Stayed March 2011
Scotland
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Stayed for 5 nights on BB tariff courtesy of Tesco Clubcard and was advised that we could have evening meals and pay for them on site. First night , hotel great, pool and jacuzzi very relaxing and room excellent with 2 queen beds. We booked meal for 745pm and arrived at restaurant at 740pm to be told, can we go to bar and dont hurry back as we are busy. No probs, things can happen. Arrived back at restaurant at 8pm and was seated, got our wine and gave our order and waited till 845pm to get the starters, after waiter had come back to our table to verify our choice of starters. Another couple who we met were also in a similar situation and it took almost to 945pm to serve us completely.
The following day having been out till mid afternoon we had drinks in the bar and I tried to book our evening meal at reception at 330pm. I was told only times available were 715pm and 845pm. I chose the latter and the receptionist completed the dinner booking and verified we were BB tariff. He then radioed - DAVE- who I clearly heard state - I cannot take any more BB as we have a special offer on DBB and its busy and I have accomodated several other BB tariffs guests already. I managed to check the booking form for dinner and only one other BB couple had dinner booked and there was no booking from 845pm onwards. The receptionist said we cant get an evening meal. I was flabbergasted and very upset.
We did have a light supper - this being the Saturday night - in the bar and retired with drinks to our room, where I immediately put pen to paper and sent a note of the problems tpo Mr Mandier the general manager at Derwent. The following morning I handed this to reception marked private and confidential. IWe felt victimised for being BB only and discriminated against because of our Tesco position of not being allowed to book dinner usng the voucher scheme.
I expected at least a note from Mr Mandier but nothing. We didnt try to book further evening meals in the restaurant but had them in the comfortable bar. Another couple we met also made known their feelings known about slow service in the restaurant to reception.
On the Monday morning the breakfast portions had been cut from 2 slices of bacon to one and the poached eggs were hard not soft and fluffy like the weekend servings. Again other customers made this comment to the reception on leaving the hotel.
On Tuesday evening we had a light meal in the bar and was approached by a well dressed employee who asked if everything was ok. We replied in the affirmative as the fish was very good. I later found out that this was Mr Mandier - why did he not mention the letter ? why did he not answer my note to him or leave me a note to see him in the hotel? this is very poor hospitality or procedures as my note clearly stated I was in the hotel until Wednesday morning.
On the leaving morning breakfast was so slow, I had to ask for more toast and coffee as the waiters hadnt even taken our cooked order for over 25 mins and several other guests also were complaining about this.
I received a letter at home on 18th March from Mr Mandier saying nothing more than sorry and he had had wrods with his staff - thats not good enough - surely they should deal with the customer at the time as stated in the guests directory in each room. It also states that all guests wishing to dine can reserve a table at reception.
I wasnt looking for much for my complaint to be dealt with at the time, but I may be now. All the small things that went "wrong" after that like lack of shampoo and shower gel one morning and spare toilet roll not being available in the room now really irk me.
Overall a great hotel but theres something sadly wrong in the kitchen / waiter services due to an excessive slow timescale.
Get this sorted out and it would have been perfect and dont discriminate about guests on BB tariff, irrespective if you are busy or over booked. Work overtime and supply a service that your guests want without reference to who or how you paid for everyone is entitled to a service fortheir hard worked labours.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andy-MadgeB
OHIML, General Manager at Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2011
Thank you for your positive comments regards your stay at the hotel regards the leisure club Jacuzzi, your comment card was picked up at reception an indeed a reply sent asap.

Any booking whether it be a Tesco club card, leisure break, Easybreak or Spa break is treated in the same professional manner, no one is given preference above another booking, unfortunately our restaurant seats only 38 covers and every effort is made to accommodate diners however timings are not always available as requested but on most weekend nights we do feed between 80-100 guests in the restaurant alone.

Secondary dining is available in our Grouse and Claret bar for any guest unable to secure the timing they require.

Again let me thank you for your positive comments and apologise for any frustration you may have been caused.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Allensford
Langley Castle Hotel
The Black Bull Hotel
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chollerford

Been to Best Western Derwent Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!