“Two day break”

Barrasford Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Barrasford
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Recently votes North East Tourism Pub of the Year, Barrasford Arms pub dates back to the 1800’s. Set overlooking Houghton Castle, this picturesque pub not only serves great local ales, but also top quality local Northumbrian food, using ingredients from the polytunnel and gardens out the back. With lots to see and do in the area you could make your time away last even longer by staying in one of out seven en-suite bedrooms. The North Tyne River just down the road for some top Salmon Fishing, Hadrian’s wall only a few miles away, set in the heart of Northumberland only around 20 miles from Kielder Forest, 30 miles from Alnwick heading to the coast, and only 8 miles from the historical town of Hexham. We serve food from: Monday - Closed Tuesday - 12-2pm 6-9pm Wednesday - 12-2pm 6-9pm Thursday - 12-2pm 6-9pm Friday - 12-2pm 6-9pm Saturday - 12-2pm 6-9pm Sunday - 12-3pm
Reviewed August 14, 2019

had a two day break for our anniversary. The hotel was picked at the last minute. We were not disappointed. A lovely pub/hotel in a quiet village quite close to Hadrian's Wall. The food was excellent and the staff very friendly. We will definitely return when we need accommodation in the area.

Date of visit: August 2019
Write a reviewReviews (101)

Reviewed August 13, 2019

Its a bit tricky to know how to review this place, we recently moved to the area and as our local we have been twice. The first time the food was really lovely, lots of fresh flavours and all four of us were very happy with the meals. You could tell that everything was either made in house or bought in from good suppliers, lovely bread etc.

The second visit last week it seemed like a different place. I had the same meal as before (as a vegetarian there isn't really any variety in their offer month to month). The sticky toffee pudding was good but the other two courses were a real let down. The "garden tomato" soup was completely different, heavy and almost tinned in taste with a dollop of creme fraiche that was supposed to lift the flavour but just made it more heavy. There was no evidence of the tomatoes having seen a garden recently. The bread was more like something from a cheap supermarket rather than the nice homemade bread we had previously. Hearing a microwave ping just after you have ordered is never a good sign. The risotto again just was average and lacked fresh flavour. My husbands fish was overcooked and to me the chips tasted like the oil was old or hadn't been heated up to the correct temperature.

I wonder if they use better quality ingredients at busier times? We were the only people in there in a weekday lunch and our first, better meal was a Saturday lunch. I did mention to the waitress at the time about not liking the soup and it was clear that I had barely touched it but I wasn't asked if I wanted something different and I was charged which I don't think is good customer service. Overall the second visit outweighed the first so we won't be going back.

Reviewed August 7, 2019

We followed a recommendation from the Good Food Guide and were delighted that we did. Our lunch was absolutely delicious - chicken liver parfait for me and cheese souffle for my husband to start, then fish and chips for me and pulled lamb for him for main. We shared a sticky toffee pudding for dessert as we were getting quite full. The standout dishes were the cheese souffle and the fish and chips. I don't think I've actually had better fish and chips anywhere - the fish was lovely and fresh and the batter crispy but light. In fact, the whole meal was noticeably lighter than you would have expected from a roll call of the menu.

The service was friendly and efficient. We had called up ahead to book an outdoor table as we had our dogs with us (and they're not allowed inside). We were glad that we had because there are actually only 4-5 tables on the terrace, and as it was a lovely day, they were deservedly popular. The bill was also very reasonable. All in all, an absolutely perfect meal and definitely somewhere to return to when we're next in the area.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed August 4, 2019

This place has a good local reputation and well deserves it. The restaurant is not large, but on the night we visited it was very busy.
The menu is not extensive, but it is quality over quantity that you must remember.
The risotto was delicious as was my husband's steak. A good wine list and the staff are attentive and friendly.
I would heartily recommend and return to this restaurant if we are again in the area. It really deserves it's 1 star.

Reviewed July 29, 2019

Stayed overnight and were very pleased with our room, the staff, the food. This was truly a lovely place - an old inn updated in such a way as to be comfortable and still hold its charm. Our room was quite large, airy, bright and comfortable with good bed and bedding and towels. The pub is equally charming and attracts a good crowd of locals. The staff is personable and accommodating. We found both dinner and breakfast to be much better than the average we encountered in the area. This would make a lovely base for exploring the area.

Date of visit: July 2019