“Village restaurant”

The Pytchley Hotel & Restaurant
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Pytchley is a silver-award winning four-star country inn, with a traditional and informal atmosphere. The popular family-friendly restaurant maintains a far-reaching reputation for the quality of our chargrilled steaks and grills, and for excellent value home-cooked British food. See also our Tripadvisor listing under "Accommodation"
Reviewed July 18, 2014

A popular restaurant in West Haddon village 7 miles from junction 18 of the M1.
It serves a range of pub type food but is particularly well known for its steaks. Often quite busy which indicates it is locally popular and particularly at weekends worth checking to see if booking is necessary.
We went recently for steaks which were good and accompanied by the usual add ons as part of the price. Prices are not excessive and value for money. You need to find your table number and then order at the bar, in a separate room, with the food then being served to you by the helpful staff. Have been in the past and would go again.

1  Thank David J

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Quality well presented food and great location. If really hungry try the mixed grill, it really is something else.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is a local pub for our friends and they rant and rave about how good this place is, even to the extent of, 'if I won the lottery, I could quite easily have ALL my meals here', quote from one of our friends. So onto the challenge, bar staff are very friendly, table staff were very friendly, food was excellent. I decided to go for the mix grill, something of a daunting prospect, as you're never too sure as to how much you will end up with. OMG! Meat was cooked perfectly, taste was superb, an unbelievable amount for the price. Partner had the Risotto, which in her eyes is how a risotto should be cooked. Desserts, chocolate fudge cake, my favorite, SOLD OUT! Disappointed.
Still, all good things don't last.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My daughter lives in Rugby and advised us to try the Pytchley Inn for a steak meal.
I telephoned to book some days before and the lady said it wasn't necessary.
When we arrived on this Bank Holiday weekend Saturday evening , I can safely say that I have never encountered an eatery that was so busy. Car parks were completely filled as were the surrounding streets and I nearly decided to drive on as couples were marching towards the place as I looked.
I assumed there was a wedding reception or something going on , but no , it is just very popular.
The lady who received us was beautiful and charming , and with great and unbelievable efficiency using her magic clipboard , she found us a table within one of the many rooms almost immediately. There is a steak deal of a glass of wine plus two steaks. We ordered a fillet and a rib eye at £37. We recieved the 250 ml glasses of tempranillo and sat down expecting a bit of a wait.
After around 45-50 minutes it transpired that our order had never reached the kitchen . A simple human error caused I'm sure by the frantic busyness of the inn.
There were prefuse apologies and the offer of extra drinks and a complimentary pudding but I was driving and couldn't drink more , and we don't usually eat puddings after a large steak meal. The lady reduced our bill by £15 due to our wait , which we felt was fair.
The food arrived 15-20 minutes later and whilst the fillet steak was good , the rib eye had some gristle, lacked some flavour , and varied in tenderness across the steak . ( A natural product after all ) We decided that it would have been better to order two fillets. Pepper sauce was provided and it was not too strong and well balanced.
All the waiting staff at the inn were clearly well trained and friendly. They were hard pressed but very welcoming and professional. This visit did have some bad luck in our case which I feel is definitely a one off.
We felt that the extras were unfairly priced considering the £37 cost of the two steak mains at a country inn. . Onion rings or mushrooms were £2-25 extra each and as we cook ourselves we realize that the unit cost for the portions supplied is only pence. We had complimentary mushrooms as a sorry gesture for our forgotten order , but they appeared to be blanched and not the usual steak accompaniment mushrooms. I'm glad we hadn't paid for them and really expect mushrooms and onion rings to be an included feature on a steak main anyway .
After some consideration we have decided that The Pytchley might be worth another visit.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

I was in Daventry working and the service/meal at the Daventry Court Hotel was dire (10 minutes between each meal being served). So the second night I decided to look up a restaurant on Tripadvisor.

I told the crew where we were going and we headed in convoy, about 15 minute drive.

When we arrived it was quite busy and felt cosy.

We ordered our starters and mains and they came out in good time - not too quick so you felt like you were rushed out the door and not too slow!

I only had a main course - fillet steak (rare) along with a side of Stilton and chive sauce.

It was cooked to perfection, could even cut it with my fork and so tasty that I didn't even use my £2.25 Stilton and Chive sauce as I think that would've spoilt the taste!

Everyone, who had a variety of meals from home cooked steak and ale pie with real pastry - not out of a packet to seafood dishes... everyone was gobsmacked by how good this place was.

My bosses boss, who complains about everything normally :) was blown away! First time he hasn't moaned or asked for money off the bill! :O - even said I'll get promotion for taking us to this place (so wish that was true! haha)

I can't believe this is only 4 stars on TripAdvisor - people seem to be rating it 4*... I'm sure to try and hide this place lol.... can't be any other reason...

Shame I live about 3hrs away from this place.... but when I visit my brother in Worcester - it'll be worth the 1hr 15 minute drive!!!

Simply the best food ever and great value!