“Stay at this pub hotel”
Review of Fox at Farthinghoe

Fox at Farthinghoe
Ranked #1 of 1 Farthinghoe B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The place looks good from first view but service is terrible myself & business partner stayed for 3 nights . First night haddock so called fresh Haddock & chips (burnt to death) second night had Tuesday curry, my daughter of 7 could do better 3rd night we eat in another restaurant I had some pills sent from my home which are most important . They sent them back to sender didn't
know me as booked in company name. I asked why they didn't think it was me as told bar manager two nights running they would come. Rooms clean & tidy but very small only serve continental breakfast delivered to your room at about 7:30pm for next morning crossiant rubbish idea rubbish milk in flask for corn flakes this place hasno customer care whatsoever.

Room Tip: noisey when customers leave at night
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Alan B

Reviewed June 15, 2013

An attractive old pub just off the main road through the village, it looks to be the sort of place that has had some money spent on it, but still manages to retain much of it’s olde world charm and pubby atmosphere – for example there was a shelf full of board games in one of the bars. There is also a small but pleasant garden at the back.

The menu managed to strike a good balance between traditional pub grub and the urge to go more upmarket. Most of the mains were around the £10 - £15 mark, so a cut above your usual pub prices, but not excessively so. Options included the usual suspects such as Ham Egg & Chips, Fish & Chips, Burger, etc., as well a few more adventurous dishes such as Duck stir fry with caramelised plums and a Trio of Pork. Since it was Tuesday, I took advantage of their curry night which consisted of a curry and pint for £8. The landlady described it as medium hot, creamy and very tasty. It turned out to be a decent dish, with a generous quantity of tender chicken, rice and poppadoms. I couldn’t really describe it as creamy or tasty though – don’t get me wrong, it was a decent quality dish and I’d no complaints, but it wasn’t the flavoursome option that I had anticipated.

All in all though, this was a very pleasant pub and I would happily return to try something else off the menu.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 2, 2013

The Fox at Farthinghoe is a lovely welcoming pub down a side street, with a pretty garden and a nicely decorated bar / restaurant area. What a shame that the chef on duty today can't serve up a good roast dinner; and staff training is needed on how to deal with dissatisfied customers.
The Fox website says that as all our food is freshly cooked you may have to wait; we didn't mind that, but we doubt the food was freshly cooked.
My son's chicken breast was dry and unappetising perched on top of what he described as tasteless mash.
Two of us had the roast beef dinner; we don't know where the meat was sourced but it was almost impossible to cut through, and worse to eat. When we complained the waitress had a word with the chef who offered to start another joint; that was marginally better. However instead of taking away the offending dishes she brought the carved slices on a platter which were then placed on the existing plates next to the inedible beef. That is just bad training.
The Yorkshire puds were lumpen and dry too.
My roasted butternut squash salad was lovely though!
The pub had come well recommended, but it won't be recommended by us to others. Neither the bar / restaurant manger nor the chef came to apologise; that is just poor practice.
It is not an inexpensive pub, and could be super, if only the chef brushed up his / her basic cookery skills, and they learned what best practice front of house.!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
mark h, Owner at Fox at Farthinghoe, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Dear Guest,
I am sincerly sorry that you did not enjoy your visit with us on Sunday.It is always very disappointing to get poor reviews, and not something we pride ourselves on. I can assure you that everything is 100% cooked fresh to order. After discussing this issue with the chef on Sunday, it would appear that we did have a proiblem with our generally very carefully selected local meat, and this has been followed up with our supplier. This sadly does not help your dining experince with us on this occasion, but i can assure you we take things very seriously and pride ourselves on great customer service, and your complaint / constructive comments will be followed up and put correct.

Please email me directly to mark@foxatfarthignhoe.co.uk, so we can attempt to put this matter correct.

Yours

Mark HIggs

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I came to stay for two nights to attend a wedding in the area and was very impressed by this lovely pub/B&B.

The staff greeted us and took us to our lovely rooms, explaining the breakfast in a basket arrangements. As I am allergic to wheat, the continental breakfast wasn't really suitable for me, but once the owners knew this they provided me with alternatives on the second morning. If I had noted that it was a continental breakfast when booking (as it was clearly stated) I would have put in a request before I went and I'm sure would have been accommodated for both nights. The rooms are very nicely decorated and a decent size for a night's sleep, with appropriate extras such as hairdryers and toiletries.

We arrived on a Bank Holiday Sunday when there was a BBQ and music. We were invited and welcomed to this event, that we also invited our French family to attend. The landlord was especially welcoming, chatting to our family and bringing us drinks. We were all impressed with the food and hospitality.

I would recommend this B&B to anyone visiting this area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We booked this after reading previous reviewers! Oh how disappointing. The rooms are small and dark with tiny bathrooms. Breakfast in a box - not good! Stale pastries and over-ripe fruit. Dinner was OK but rather expensive for what we had. Nobody around in the morning so keys through the front door!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank devontraveller22

Dear Guest,
It is very disappointng to read poor comments regarding our rooms. We pride ourselves on a thriving score with Bookings.com,(one of the best in the area), and believe we are very honest regarding our room sizes and facilities. All of our rooms, provide a comfortable double bed, wi-fi, shower and washroom facilities, with flat screen tv & dvd player. Our rooms on both our site and booking sites our sold as letting rooms, and we make it clear that the room price includes a hamper breakfast, which suits most of our clients, and we offer alternative arrangements for those who prefer a cooked breakfast, with a fanstasic village farm shop just 800 yards away. A 24 hour telephone number is provided if customers require to get hold of a member of staff, within the room, and all of our customers are made aware of the check our requirements on arrival.

Sincere apologises that you had a disappointing stay.

Yours

Mark Higgs

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Fox at Farthinghoe offers contemporary style and old world charm. Excellent value for money. Really comfy bed, loved the breakfast in a basket. The bar/restaurant is really cool, good range of ales/lagers and wines. Recommend you book a table, its a very popular eating place. My only gripe was the tv was impossible to work! but apart from that the stay was great and would recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We booked for 2 nights bed and breakfast and an evening meal on the first night. The room was just across from the pub entrance, in a barn conversion, very comfortable, everything worked as it should. The staff are well trained and very friendly, a breakfast hamper was provided which was very generous in quantity and was delivered to our room each night, which meant breakfast in bed and no worries about oversleeping and missing breakfast. Brilliant.
Meal In the pub was excellent the atmosphere warm and friendly, food was way above normal pub grub but great value.
A great weekend even though we woke to deep snow on both days. We're we worried, no always dreamt of getting snowed in in a pub, just a shame that the snow wasn't so deep that we couldnt get out, we could still be there enjoying ourselves and having more meals. Day 2 we had fish and chips in a cone of paper, the best fish and chips ever.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Fox at Farthinghoe? Share your experiences!