“Just what was needed”
Review of Fox at Farthinghoe

Fox at Farthinghoe
Ranked #1 of 1 Farthinghoe B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Beautiful. The Fox offers 4 ensuite rooms located in the old bar that adjoins the main pub building. The names are named after local hunts which I found quirky and very fitting with the name. The rooms retain their original character, beams and fireplace whilst being modern and tastefully decorated. The Fox at Farthinghoe is advertised as letting rooms not a bed and breakfast so find the comments on the breakfast basket a little unjust. We enjoyed our breakfast in bed and stall be returning. Thank you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We booked a last minute night away that was commutable from Birmingham after work on a Friday.
There are 3/4 rooms attached to the delightful pub/gastro pub which are ever so quaint! The rooms were clean, spacious and very comfortable. My only dissatisfaction was the continental breakfast (I am never a fan), but the pub isn't open at this time so a full English isn't possible.
We got a taxi over to Banbury for a night oout which was a pleasant surprise - there are lots of pubs/bars for a small town!
We returned to Banbury for a spot of shopping on the Saturday morning, before the journey home and again were pleasantly surprised. It was late autumn when we went and the markets were rife for bulbs and garden delights - would recommend a trip there for any budding gardeners.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We had a meal here on a Saturday evening to celebrate two family members birthdays, the food was at best average, beacause of the size of our party (9 adults and 2 children) we had to book our food several days in advance, this meant that we recieved our food very quickly which was good.
The staff were polite and helpful, my only fault was the price (£286 which included 8 starters, 7 mains, 2 childrens meals, 4 desserts, 3 coffees, 6 alcoholic dricks, 7 soft drinks) which for the quality and quantity of the food is more than we would expect to pay in a pub.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kevin T
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Before I start, I'll mention that I'd read about the breakfast hamper situation before we arrived, so it wasn't too much of a shock. Basically, the pub is shut in the morning so a cold breakfast is delivered the night before. If this disturbs you, I recommend either finding elsewhere or bringing your own breakfast. It has its pros and cons which I'll come to in a moment.

With that out of the way... We got a very low price for the room, not sure if this is due to the above, or whether it was a late deal. Either way, our stay was very comfortable. The rooms are in a seperate building which has generous parking outside. This tends to fill up quickly with restaurant users, so beware. We found a spot no problem, arriving at 7pm.

Reception is in the bar, which was friendly and welcoming, although we did have to wait for the barman to finish serving a fairly hefty round before getting access to the room. The staff were extremely pleasant to deal with.

The room we were in oozed character, offering a mix of period features (huge fireplace, old wooden doors and furniture, wooden beams, etc) and modern conveniences such as a flatscreen TV and modern bathroom. The room was spotlessly clean and cosy, and there was free wired internet. The bed was comfortable, cosy and inviting, and we both slept soundly. Can't ask for too much more than that.

The restaurant was extremely busy on the Saturday night we stayed, nevertheless service was just fine. Our waiter was friendly and on the ball. The menu was varied and interesting, although I did notice a lack of veggie options. Food was good, though.. I had trouble finishing the bream which is always a good sign, many restaurants think fish lovers are on a diet of some kind. They also serve a good pint.

Now then, the breakfast, as mentioned, is a cold selection of cornflakes, muesli, crossiants, fruit and jam, cartons of juice and a flask of cold milk. I can see why it would bother many folk who need their bacon and eggs served at a table. You know what? It was quite nice to be lazy and have breakfast in bed, especially since it was so cold outside and so lovely and cosy in the room. There isn't much in the way of seating, and I suppose it could be a bit anti-social to stay locked up at breakfast. However, it wouldn't deter me from going back.

My only negative comment about the breakfast was that it didn't offer much for the wheat/gluten free guest. I'm allergic to wheat and couldn't eat the crossiants, so I left a little hungrier than I should have. Still, for what we paid, I could have bought a full breakfast elsewhere and still come under budget.

Personally I recommend it, just make sure you know what you're getting.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had eaten here a few times and always been very happy with the food. We decided to stay here the night of our wedding as it was convenient, sensibly priced with pleasant rooms which were nicer to come back to than our house!

The room was lovely with a comfy bed, nice clean bathroom and great decor. The services tray had a nice array of drinks and also had biscuits which I always think is a nice touch.

The breakfast hamper was lovely and perfect for us as we didn't want to have to get up early and get showered and dressed to go and sit with other people for breakfast. We sat on our bed and ate cereal, pastries and fruit and drank nice coffee and it felt like a treat.

Granted, we were in a great mood what with the wedding and everything, but I would recommend this as a place to stay (and eat) to anyone. The rooms aren't massive so I would think it's a place to stay for a couple of nights as opposed to a week maybe but apart from that we couldn't fault it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

On driving up to the pub, we were extremely pleased with the look of the place. We were shown to our room which was small but very clean. Firstly, I went to place my hairdryer in my bedside drawer and was greeted with a bottle of Durex Body Massage Oil (which had been 3/4 used). This was immediately placed into the bin (the chambermaid had obviously not checked drawers after the previous occupants had vacated). I was very unimpressed. Thank goodness the bed linen was clean and crisp.

We had the most disgusting meal in the restaurant. I ordered Sausages and Mash and the mash was almost like a dumpling consistency, it was very sticky, chewy and had some sort of thick coating on the outside. The sausages were very gristly. I complained and my main course was taken off of the bill.

My husband also commented that this was the worst "plastic" meal he had ever eaten. He had chicken which was also very gristly and he reckoned it had come out of a packet.

I noticed that the lady on the next table had ordered lamb. She was unable to cut through the lamb and so picked it up in her fingers to eat it that way.

BREAKFAST is a complete joke. A basket containing some cereal, a flask of milk, one apple, one orange, two cartons of juice, a disgusting chocolate and plain croissant (very dry and tasted stale) and a couple of packets of jam were delivered to our room during the evening. There was one chair in our bedroom but the other person either had to stand up or sit on the bed to have their breakfast. How this establishment can call itself a bed and BREAKFAST is beyond me.

Unfortunately, we will not be staying at The Fox at Farthinghoe again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2012

pre fathers day meal - not cheap but always had good experience prior to this - special family meal.
food good as usual, man who was front of house brusque, rude and dismissive. Two tier service - posh ladies get kisses and plenty of attention. Normal every day people beware you will only be tolerated. bar staff waiting staff brilliant.
when complained to owner he asked for my e mail address - over a week later and sent my e mail address again - still no response. wanted to give them a chance to resolve problem - realise negative review can ruin business - not to be taken lightly. first negative review I have ever written.
There is a lack of respect or customer service

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank jo i

Been to Fox at Farthinghoe? Share your experiences!