“In Milton Keynes and Surrounding Area - Nothing Can Touch This”
Review of Bell & Bear

Bell & Bear
Ranked #2 of 35 Restaurants in Olney
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The restaurant features Modern European cuisine with an emphasis on local produce in an old fashioned setting. The bar specialises in interesting Real Ale & Cider with a small tapas menu
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Probably the best meal I have ever eaten in the Milton Keynes and surrounding area. I would probably have to go to London and eat at a "Michelin Stared" restaurant to come close. Nice simple food made from the very best ingredients - Easy to do when you have the talent of this chef!! The best kept secret in this part of the world.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We had our choir Christmas dinner here for the first time and we're sure to be back. Food was excellent - beef succulently pink, goats cheese parcels to die for. All beautifully presented and delicious. Service quick and attentive, and because it's relatively small we weren't caught up in the usual bustle of Christmas parties!
A great evening.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

A delicious meal, wonderful scallops and chocolate dessert with Horlicks ice cream. Lovely relaxed atmosphere, excellent value for money. The chef clearly knows his stuff and took time to talk to us about the food and took care over making sure the food chosen was cooked correctly for our pregnant friend. Definitely want to go back

Reviewed November 14, 2013

After reading so many rave reviews I was expecting to be impressed. Unfortunately not. It was a cold night and it was nearly as cold in the restaurant. We had made a reservation so were a little surprised to hear the barman say he would put the fire on as we arrived. I was lucky as I was sitting next to it until I worked up enough courage to take my coat off. The scarf stayed on a bit longer. The somewhat Spartan surroundings added to the unprepossessing start. There's nothing cosy about the dining area and nothing that gives it the traditional air of the bar. The furniture clings to the outer edges of the room like survivors from a shipwreck. In fact you might well find better furniture than this after a shipwreck. I had to swap my wine glass for one on another table as it had something in it. Paper napkins seem to set the tone. Out of synch with the grandiose ambitions on the website and the prices being charged for the food. The menu was very small. Just five or six items. There was no specials board. Just a warning above the fire telling you that meat and game comes pink. Do those that don't like it pink have to leave? I asked the waitress about one of the items on the menu but she didn't have a clue and didn't volunteer to find someone who did. The vegetables were ok but the large chunks of carrot were al dente. However, the wine I had was good and the glasses were generous which helped to take my mind of the feeling that I was battling adversity getting to the end of the meal without having to cut off one of my own digits to avoid frostbite. This place needs a makeover in more respects than the décor.

1  Thank Clive55
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The most wonderful dinner had by all. Fantastic friendly service - can't fault it at all. It's the best restaurant in this area by far. Food is divine. Well worth a visit. Great to have it on our doorstep!