“The Chequers”

Ranked #2 of 2 Streatley B&B and Inns
Lampeter, United Kingdom
“The Chequers”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Very good food the steak ans ale pie is a must. The Beer was top form and I did try them all. Will be staying there again next time I am in the area. The music on the sat night was not the sort I would listen to but the singer was so good I listened to the end

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I stayed here because my Company event was being held in Luton. After looking it up to find the full address I came across the reviews, and really wasn't looking forward to my expenses paid dinner, night and breakfast even it was free! I was very surprised. I found the staff to be friendly, helpful and the room although far from 5 star was actually lovely. Its a very old traditional country pub, and I loved how cosy it was after a long trip in the cold to get there. Lovely big car park, delicious dinner with a very reasonably priced bottle of wine (the only bit I paid for!) and a big fried breakfast that kept me full all day! It must be a family run business as all the customers appeared to know everyone. I could have sat in the bar quite comfortably all night. I can't see that I will unless its with work, but I wouldn't hesitate in returning should I have to stay in the area again. Hopefully people will write a review if they stay, as I found it rather homely and welcoming.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This 'hotel' is absolutely shocking. It is seedy, messy, dirty, and so unwelcoming that on entering the room we preferred to waste the money spent booking it through expedia, and travel home immediately.
The absolute best thing that the owners of this place could invest in would be a wrecking ball and bulldozer.
If you want my advice never ever ever stay here.

Room Tip: AVOID! The best room would be to sleep in your car in the car park.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank bjw33

Travelers are raving about these Streatley hotels

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Since the earlier reviews, this place has been decorated and is a bit more up to scratch. The room was clean and fairly big, it had a hanging rail but no chest of drawers/ wardrobe. The bathroom had recently been done up and was fine. Breakfast was okay and pretty good. The pub food tended to be overcooked and doused with some sort of thin gravy but portions were large and prices fair.
I've being staying around Luton a fair bit recently and this is one of the better cheapish places to stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank James504221
shrewsbury
Reviewed May 4, 2011

My husband and I stayed at The Chequers for one night whilst visiting relatives in Luton, we were late booking in and we had to attend a family party in 30mins. We were greeted by a friendly lady who showed us to our room through a very messy passage, once entering our room I was hit with a smell of deep fat fryer, on looking around the room with one working dim light and a heater that was on full heat and could not turn off we had 2 TV’s none which worked and a kettle! no toilet paper and a moulding smelling shower that look like it not been cleaned for months and if you stud inside it you would end up in the bar below but the bed looked clean.
Quick change to join the party on return to our room ready for bed it was the worst night sleep either of us have ever had from the consent smell off deep fat fryer and the bed that was uncomfortable with broken bed springs. On waking up to see our room for it’s true colours I wished we had left
from the start – how could anyone charge £55 for the use of this room !!! the sink was dirty the floor look like it had not been cleaned in years the walls and carpet had stains and splat marks, breakfast was changed from 10am – 11am fair to stay we did not not stay to attend breakfast .

Room Tip: dont book here
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank kitShrewsbury
Chester
Reviewed October 18, 2009

We stayed at The Chequers for one night whilst visiting relatives in Luton, actually that is not strictly true, after spending ten minutes in the room we decided to leave and find alternative accommodation. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly and polite lady who promptly showed us through a slightly messy but tolerable passage and up a flight of stairs to our room. First impressions were that the accommodation was quite old looking, after setting our bags down we started to notice the uncleanly state of the place, there was a large clump of ladies hair on the bathroom floor, rubbish in the bathroom plant pot on closer inspection the bath showed no signs of having been cleaned and the sink had filthy marks all over it (see pictures). The bedroom was no better, there were squashed horse flies all over the wall and ceiling as well as strange splat like stain marks on the walls (see pictures). The final straw came when I turned back the duvet to find a large brown stain on the sheets. We asked to leave at this point. On the positive side the lady who showed us to our rooms was very polite, apologetic and helpful.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank WarmPenguin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Streatley
King William Hotel
i-Occupy Serviced Rooms
The Griffin
The Griffin
#2 of 2 in Toddington

Been to The Chequers? Share your experiences!