“We love the Cormorant but.....”

The Cormorant Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Portchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional English pub, serving great food in the Historical Conservation Area of Castle Street. Castle Street leads to the beautiful English Heritage site of Portchester Castle and St Mary's Church. Just a 5 minute drive from Portchester Crematorium, and less than 5 miles from either Junction 11 or 12 of the M27, Portchester is sandwiched between The Market Town of Fareham and the Naval City of Portsmouth. We offer a range of real ales, wines from around the world and our menu features freshly prepared, cooked-to-order food. We have a 34 space car park; disabled accessible toilet; baby change facility; separate restaurant & bar areas and well-behaved adults may bring their dogs on leads!
Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I had our first date at the cormorant. We re visited 15 years later had a lovely walk in the amazingly beautiful area. Ordered lamb mint pie off the specials board £10.95. Just terrible food seriously it was chunks of lamb that we could not chew. For my husband to turn to me and say he couldn't eat it really means how terrible it was. We complained the staff who were truly lovely and took the food off the bill immediately. What a shame. I have had Sunday lunch here about two years ago and it was really lovely. So I would try this pub again...

1  Thank tracy d

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Took my mum here for a lunchtime treat, ordered a sandwich that came with so many extra's it was almost a meal. Have been here before and have never been disappointed. Good pub, good staff, good food, what more can I say

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Had lunch in the Cormorant. It's a large pub, pretty clean, but the staff weren't very friendly. We were given a daily menu and an a la carte, read the specials on another sign at the bar, ordered, then were told one item was sold out and it was marked up as such on another chalkboard behind us - which was the first time we could see it. The order took a long time to arrive, when it did the portions were gargantuan and superheated - it was inedible for over ten minutes. A taste-free experience. Meal wholly spoiled by the waiting staff planning a wedding meal around us and simply pretending we didn't exist as they discussed their plans and confirmed table layouts while we tried to eat. No customer focus at all.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a friendly pub in a pretty part of Portchester, a short walk from the castle. There are normally 4 real ales on tap. It's spacious inside and never seems to get too packed. The staff and locals are friendly: I've taken my young daughter in and we felt very welcome. It may well be slightly dearer than other local pubs (especially the beer), but it's probably a lot nicer than the other competition.
The food is simple, home cooked grub. It is good value, and portion sizes are decent. It all seems to be made in house.
Nice place if you're around Portchester.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were in Portcheser for the Carnival in June, The weather wasn,t June weather if you know what I mean! so while waiting for the procession we decanted to the "Cormorant" for a morning Coffee. I enjoyed the ambiance of the pub, with traditional fixtures and fittings. The coffee, we enjoyed, and the staff most helpfull and obliguing. Look forward to visiting again.