“Perfectly fine pub food”

The Cormorant Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 11 Restaurants in Portchester
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A traditional English pub, serving great food in the Historical Conservation Area of Castle Street. Castle Street leads to the beautiful English Heritage site of Portchester Castle and St Mary's Church. Just a 5 minute drive from Portchester Crematorium, and less than 5 miles from either Junction 11 or 12 of the M27, Portchester is sandwiched between The Market Town of Fareham and the Naval City of Portsmouth. We offer a range of real ales, wines from around the world and our menu features freshly prepared, cooked-to-order food. We have a 34 space car park; disabled accessible toilet; baby change facility; separate restaurant & bar areas and well-behaved adults may bring their dogs on leads!
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We went after a visit to Porchester Castle with our 2 young kids. The food is perfectly fine pub food (bangers and mash, fish and chips etc). Nothing fancy. Service was absolutely superb, until they forgot to bring pudding to our increasingly tetchy kids. Apart from that everything was totally fine.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

As family group of 7, including two small children, we went to the Cormorant after Boxing Day, the service was very good, staff were helpful. The food was excellent and the atmosphere was warm and inviting. Would I go there again - YES

Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have eaten here often and this time chose the bar as we had a two-year old self-feeder with us and we could tuck him out of sight. On a nippy day it was nice to sit by the log fire. The extensive menu has many pub favourites many of which are made in house and other more unusual things. We chose the liver, the steak and mushroom pie and scampi, but thought chicken nuggets would be cleaner for the little one. Every plate was generous and the food well cooked. We were particularly impressed with the chicken nuggets, quite large chunks of whole chicken not reconstituted. Ample vegetables came with the meat and a large salad with the scampi, plenty to share with our voracious vegetable eater who filled himself with cauliflower, carrots, peas, tomatoes, onions etc and the chicken but barely touched his chips. A good meal at a fair price served in good time by friendly staff.

1  Thank C C
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Went to the Cormorant to take my brother and sister in law out, the menu seemed good, we ordered the steak sizzler for two which came with a bottle of house wine for £24 which seemed a bargain, however the steak was grey like it had been boiled rather than fried, we asked for medium done and it was grey throughout, it did arrive on a sizzling plate, however my brothers meal was not delivered until 5 minutes after ours, which meant even if it arrived medium it would have been well done!! However all was not lost it did provide for a nice present for the dog when we got home.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

My daughter i were visiting Portchester Castle on 11 Aug 2012 & I decided to treat us both to lunch at the Commorant. Initally I was pleased with the look of the pub, the firendliness of the staff & the menu seemd appetising.

I ordered the smoked salmon & crayfish pasta with garlic bread. Big mistake. When it arrived after a very lengthy wait (surprising as the pub only had a a handful of customers), served by a waitress who had a number of teeth missing, alarms bells started to ring. the pasta was swimming in sauce, the garlic bread was a slice of toast buttered with garlic butter & it was disgusting. thery were long lengths of grey, thin things that looked like goose poo, the crayfish was rubbery with no taste & I could not find one piece of salmon & the sauce was just drowned by garlic, I mean I love garlic but I like to taste my food as well. I had four mouthfuls & had to leave the rest or I would have thrown up.

My daughter fared no better. Her piece of salmon was frozen & overcooked, her jacket potato was mush inside & had no taste & her Hollaindaise sauce ... well, I have no idea what it was but it wasn't Hollaindaise sauce.

When I went to pay & complain, I spoke to 2 waitresses, the first of whom had a number of teeth missing was jittery & did not want to serve me. I told her that I was disgusted with the food & wanted her to inform the manager. Instead, she got another girl who then tried to charge me for another table (whose bill was more than mine) & again I told her that i wanted her to inform the manager. In the end, instead of causing a scene, I paid the bill of £26.80 & put it down to a very expensive mistake.

I would advise all to stay away from this pub if you like good food.

3  Thank Tracey H H