“Excellent Museum”

British Motor Museum
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Gaydon
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Home to the world's largest collection of historic British cars the British Motor Museum has over 300 vehicles on display spanning the classic, vintage and veteran eras. With a selection of interactive exhibitions and family activities, the museum is ideal for both families and enthusiasts alike. Situated in Gaydon, Warwickshire just off junction 12 of the M40.
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We visited this museum recently with our 3year old grandson and must say it is excellent, we really enjoyed it and our grandson loved it so much he didn't want to leave, he loved seeing all the cars which were in pristine condition, we couldn't keep him out of the 2 cars he was allowed to sit in and pretend to drive, also lots of interaction stations to keep him amused too! All the staff were helpful and smiley and obviously loved their work, we enjoyed a lovely meal in the restaurant, all in all a great day out and would recommend visiting.

1  Thank MaryMayneord
Write a ReviewReviews (1,003)

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We visited the museum in September as part of a weekend away in Warwickshire.

Firstly the museum is very good with some excellent displays and exhibits, it is very hands on and you do get close to the cars, therefore I would recommend it.

However I would suggest it is a little expensive compared to museums in other countries, and in my opinion not quite as good, hence 4 stars.

1  Thank Kodi2010
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Really helpful exhibits about the history of UK Car Manufacture .Some interesting concept cars. I loved the story of the factory of Austin Pedal cars which were made by disabled miners. A bashed up Landrover from Skyfall. A Delorean from Back to the Future, They had some really cute minis you could put little kids in to take around the site. I had an adult with me who was jealous he couldn't get into one. The cinema with the old seats was cute . There are also large gatherings of car clubs and rallies here through the year so if you are planning to go check their events. You can also do the Land Rover experience on the site which we didn't try. Well worth a visit for Classic Car Buffs and their families. Apparently you can use your Tesco club card points which I noticed afterwards

1  Thank FalmouthLucy
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Saw the heritage sign on our way to Dudley so stopped off to visit the museum.

On walking round my husband found a fantastic renovated 1935 Austin Seven car which his Father "Pat Driscoll" had driven at Brooklands in 1934 .Pat had taken the lap record in the Mountain Handicap at its first outing so it was amazing to see a car which he had driven 79 years earlier. The volunteer gentleman on the reception desk was really interesting to talk to and when we told him about the car he came over to chat to pick up more knowledge about Pat.

Gift aid is an excellent idea in exchange for free entry for the following year and will definaely try and go back for a much longer visit next time as too much to see properly in the limited time we had to spend up there. Hope that the same volunteer gentleman is working and we can do a tour with him to listen to some of his fantastic knowledge he seems to have on so many of the cars.

Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I visited together (no kids)

There aren't masses if cars (my husband reported a number of 'classics' that were missing) but I understand this is because the museum has close connections with a number of clubs who like to show off the cars at shows and things. But, the cars that are there are open for you to get as close as you like to them.

There are a number of 'one off' cars that are totally unique- for example, the first ever Land Rover manufactured, and the first ever Mini off the production line. Also, a few concept cars that never made it to the production line. Despite my lack if interest in cars, I have to openly admit this was interesting.

The layout of the museum was in a timeline and there are a number of interactive stations for kids which I think makes it worth a day out if children are coming.

The best part if the day was undoubtedly the tour run by a member of staff called Dave. In my opinion, Dave made this day absolutely worthwhile- he knew his topic inside out and even made it interesting for the wives being dragged around by the curious men.

Overall, we were there for three hours. Will most likely go back next year when the new 'wing' is opened.