“Relaxed atmosphere and tasty Tapas”
Review of Alto Lounge

Alto Lounge
Ranked #2 of 21 Restaurants in Caversham
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Bar, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Alto Lounge is an informal, neighbourhood food led cafe/bar open all-day everyday where families, friends, and locals can come for a coffee, a drink, or something to eat in a relaxed comfortable environment.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

This is a great place to go for a family lunch or early dinner, as well as fun in the evening with friends. Food is good, but you can wait a while as it's very popular! If you want to guarantee a table in the evening get there early!

Alto-Lounge, General Manager at Alto Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Evening Jo K
Thank you so much for your encouraging and positive review. We are working hard on our speed of service as always.Your feedback is very important to us and helps us to improve in all areas. So nice to hear from you loving your lounge and we hope you continue to do so.
#lovelife #lovelounging.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Having been advised of the baby-friendly Alto Lounge, my new-parent friends and I decided to meet up for a catch up coffee. Being that we were a big party (4 couples each with a 2-3 month old baby + buggies) we tried to book a table but were informed they don't take weekend bookings; this is itself was fine and we decided we'd turn up on the morning anyway and try our luck.

My partner and I arrived first and the place was packed; we took the first table to become available which was a 4-top and ordered breakfast. When the waitress brought the drinks over she asked if we'd be needing the other half of the table as there were customers waiting; we said that friends were on their way and were told this was fine. When the first of our friends turned up they took up the remaining 2 seats and whilst we were scouting for chairs to pull over for the remaining couples in our party conveniently another 4-top table next to ours became available. When another couple in our party arrived we started pushing the tables together so we could form a longer table for us all to sit around. With this a member of staff - I'm not sure if she was the owner, manager or another team member - approached us and incredibly patronisingly clapped her hands and said "right, what have we got going on with these tables" whilst at the same time grabbing the other end of the table I was holding and dragging it back into its "proper" position and informing me that "this is a table for 2 and goes here" and the moving the other half of our original had-been-4-top table adjacent which would have split us up even further! Whilst we were trying to explain we would like to be able to sit together and asking what the problem was in moving the tables together as the newly-formed longer table wouldn't have obstructed anyone else, 2 very kind ladies on a nearby long bench-table offered to swap with us despite being halfway through eating their food. We gratefully took up their offer and settled at the new larger table and whilst doing so I saw the same member of staff offering to comp the 2 ladies bill for accommodating us; I don't have a problem with her kind action as it's completely up to Alto Lounge who or for what they decide to compensate, however what I do object to is having the member of staff rolling her eyes at us whilst doing so and making my friends and I feel very uncomfortable and problematic for just trying to sit at a table together and have a coffee!

The food itself and the overall ambience and decor of Alto Lounge is lovely, however our experience was ruined by being made to feel like we were 'in the way' and difficult. The main reason we chose to meet at Alto Lounge was because of the baby-friendly reviews however our experience didn't reflect this because of one member of staff's rude treatment of us and has completely put us off returning for not only future Mummy-meeting's but as general customers.

2  Thank Kelly W
Alto-Lounge, General Manager at Alto Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Very disappointed Mummy / Very disappointed Manager!
Good Morning, I can not express my complete disappointment in the way you and your guests where treated. The team member in question will also be very upset she came across in this abrupt manner . I as the manager would like to apologize on her behalf. We pride ourselves on being a family friendly retreat and as a rule this is the case. I thank you for bringing this issue to my attention. I will as always, use your feedback as a training tool to revisit and enhance our service. I hope we can make it up to you in the future and you will spare time to visit us again.

Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Great breakfasts, and love the burgers and dogs. It's just too busy in there there days. Ordering at the bar can take 15-20 minutes, then a 20-30 min wait for food. Victim of its own success I guess.

Alto-Lounge, Manager at Alto Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and recognizing the high volume of our lounge and our yummy menu!! We work hard to ensure the best experience possible during our peak trading times and we will take your feedback into consideration for the future.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Relaxed atmosphere with a varied menu. Nicely decorated in quirky 1940s style. There are board games available for rainy days. I've only been for dinner but am looking forward to brunch or afternoon tea soon as the menu looks inviting.

Alto-Lounge, Manager at Alto Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

What a lovely review to read, the Alto staff really appreciate you're feedback. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I love this place, fresh food, easy access for prams, lovely patient staff, baby changing facilities and chilled atmosphere.

I bet there isn't a mum in caversham who hasn't been here for coffee and cake or a meal or two.

I always have the lentil curry but other favourites are the fish finger sandwich the breakfast muffin and the soup. All about £11 once you include a diet coke (£2 .20).

Staff can be very slow, hence the 4* review but I would not let this put you off.

Thankyou so much for your glowing review, we love having little one's and their mum's pop in for some down time and catching up. Hope to see you again soon!