“Brilliant place- best in the area”

Red Kite House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Burghfield B&B and Inns
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant place- best in the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

I have stayed in a few hotels and b and b's in the area and I can say that this is the best by far. The rooms are lovely, very modern and comfortable. The breakfast is made to order- perfect! The lady running the b and b is also very helpful and friendly. I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Ellie T
Paul H, Owner at Red Kite House Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for the lovely review - really glad you enjoyed your stay.

We are always looking for ways to improve the guest experience. We welcome any feedback that you have, good or bad, and welcome suggestions for improvements that e could make.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Telford, Shropshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stopped here one cold and wet December evening.
At time of booking I advised I would be arriving late (approx 11pm) and this would not have been a problem. I did arrive at 9.50pm in the end, despite not being able to find the property and had to be directed in over the phone. Property has it's own enclosed car park at the front of the building with enough spaces for all guests.
A nice friendly welcome from the landlady and her Alsation was welcoming after the long drive and I was shown to my room on the ground floor.
The room was very big with a massive bed that could easily sleep 3 adults accross. Free wifi, nice big flatscreeen Samsung TV and a very comfy bed.
Bathroom was in the corner of the room with a large corner shower and light that came on when entering.
Breakfast started at 7 and a choice of cereal was followed by whatever you wanted. I plumped for a bacon sarnie. Also pleased to get Earl Grey tea.
I would not hesitate to stop here again when in the area, and seeing as we have a factory only 5 miles away I will be highly recomending to my colleagues.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Paul H, Owner at Red Kite House Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for the lovely review - really glad you enjoyed your stay.

Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

All reviews are very positive so all I can say is maybe I was given a very different room from everyone else.
I stayed for 3 nights at the beginning of November
Yes the room was spacious and on the ground floor. The bed was comfortable.
Only two hangers supplied ( one broken which I sort of repaired) in the wardrobe.
Carpet was in need of a good shampoo but what can you expect with a cream carpet .
The bin in the bathroom was full of the previous occupant's bits and they were still there when I left after 3 nights. There were also hairs(not mine) on the bathroom floor..I was not looking but I could not miss them.
I can't comment on the breakfasts because I needed to leave at 0700 each morning but I'm sure they would have been very nice
I don't normally stay in B and Bs and I did not expect 4 star Hotel quality
Reading other reviews, I can only assume I was put in a spare room.
Would I come back...No. I would rather pay a little bit more and stay in a Hotel where I can be assured of basic hygiene.

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Paul H, Owner at Red Kite House Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Just an update - Red Kite House is now under new ownership and management and many improvements have been made. However there is always room for improvement.

I hope you will reconsider Red Kite House again to sample the improvements made by the new owners and management team.

Waterlooville, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

Beautiful room, clean and fresh. Fridge in the room, for the wine we had with us, free wifi, the breakfast was amazing. Quiet room at the back, And a wonderful welcome from TED. Thank u so much, wish we could have stayed longer, we will definatly stay there again next time we go to reading.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Suzie S
Launceston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

From booking to departure, everything was pleasant and efficient. Our hostess was relaxed and relaxing, and helped with recommendations and directions to a variety of good eating venues. The Burghfield Spice Restaurant at the Hatch Gate Inn provided some of the best Indian style cooking that I have experienced anywhere. Even Ted, the giant Alsation, was so gentle that we felt quite happy for our two year old grand daughter to play with him.

The Georgian building has been updated to a very high standard and still feels like new. The standard of finish in the bathrooms was of particular note. We hired three rooms and all slept like babies. The beds were very comfortable and heavy curtains ensured that the rooms remained dark. The high wall at the front of the property and the harmonious double glazing ensured quiet nights at both the front and the back of the building.

The heating was just right. The movement-triggered switch for the bathroom light was easily disabled at night in the baby's room by sticking a Postit note over the sensor window.

Breakfast was of a good standard and available over a sensible time window. The French-sourced coffee required at least two pots to fully appreciate :-).

About the only difficulty we had was in finding the place. Google places its location flag in the middle of the postcode, which is miles away to the southwest from the actual location. Apparently Google will not place the flag at the coordinates of Red Kite House, and without a house number to steer you, you must rely on the locals knowing where to look. It is near the north eastern extremity of Burghfield Common, and very well worth the quest.

I would have no hesitation in recommending Red Kite House to anyone who really needed to be near Reading, without being in Reading. It is very good value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were at the National Kayaking Championship, about 15-20 minutes away from the Red Kite House. Initial contact was very pleasant, reception welcoming, facilities very clean and up to date. I will recommend it to the UK National Kayak Association as a great place to stay. Feel a bit sorry to have to let go of this well kept secret, and think the Landlady deserves all the credit she can get. Thank you for letting us stay.

Room Tip: If you are with kids there is a great family room available which keeps the family together
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Countesthorpe
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have visit Theale near Reading on business weekly, it was through a recommendation i should stay at this establishment. That was 3 months ago, and i stay here weekly. There is immediate parking, the rooms are incredible, clean, a fridge in each room, free wifi, a great breakfast, a great Indian down the road, and a warm welcome by TED..... seriously, without question one of the best bed and breakfasts i have ever stayed in. D Clarke

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burghfield
Premier Inn Reading South Hotel
#3 of 31 in Reading
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,731 reviews
Millennium Madejski Hotel Reading
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11

Been to Red Kite House Hotel? Share your experiences!