“Business use only”

Holiday Inn Reading West
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Padworth
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in April as we had business in Reading. the first thing was the fact at over 8 miles from Reading centre it is a bit of a licence to call it a Reading hotel!
The hotel is isolated which is OK if you drive there but not so if you are using Taxis.
It is probably only suited for mid-week business people ,not exactly a holiday destination type hotel. It would be ok for a small meeting or conference. It is also in need of a refurb.
On a positive note all the staff were very friendly indeed and made you welcome and the food served on an evening was good too. So, business yes, leisure no.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you very much for your recent review, I'm delighted your business stay was so positive and that you found the staff so friendly and welcoming.

I am however a little bemused that you go on to review us a leisure destination when this clearly was not the purpose of your stay. A quick visit to our website or any third party internet site or indeed a postcode check would clarify to any potential guest that we not a town centre hotel but we are very conveniently located for both the business & leisure traveller being on the main A4 and only 3 miles from M4 jct 12 with ample free car parking. In addition to taxis we are also on a main bus route into both Newbury and Reading (bus stop is right outside the hotel) and the local train station is only a 10 minutes walk away, or chances are one of the team would run you round there.

Whilst we are not a resort hotel and probably not best suited to someone wanting to spend an entire weekend inside the hotel, we are ideally placed for leisure travellers wanting, to explore the South East and well placed for visiting places like Reading, Newbury, Kennet & Avon Canal, Windsor, Oxford, Lambourne, Winchester, London, Stonhenge and close to many National Trust poroperties. we are also well places for guests attending weddings or events at some of the nearby function venues.

The team try just as hard at weekends to be friendly and welcoming at the weekend as when you stayed.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Alison was brilliant at organising the day, it went brilliantly, nothing was too much bother from any of the staff, from the moment we arrived till we left all the staff were polite and willing to help.The wedding breakfast was superb, lovely and hot and very well presented so our compliments to the chef, the Brightwell suite was absolutely beautiful and just right for what we needed and the tables were laid out perfectly. The rooms were clean and well looked after, a special big thank you to Liga she was always willing to help nothing was too much bother for her..just shame some of our guests did not get the same room benefits on the night as they would have done online..but all in all recommend this hotel as wedding venue ..

Stayed: April 2013
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind review and your very kind words about Alison, Liga and the team here at Holiday Inn Reading West. I'm delighted your daughters special day went so well, the team do work very hard to ensure this and therefore will really appreciate you having taken the time to write.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

The number of times I ask for a quiet room in a hotel but then find we are kept awake all night by noisy guests, BUT HEY THIS HOTEL LISTENS. They listened before we arrived and during our stay. The hotel is delightful. Very clean such that everywhere shines and gleams. Anna the super receptionist was cleaning the brass door knobs to fill in some time one morning. All the staff were genuinely helpful and welcoming. They brought us hot milk to go with our morning coffee and made us porridge. The breakfast was cooked to individual requests. The food was good and well cooked. I was not expecting this level of attention and service. It was incredibly good value. And we had 4 perfectly quiet nights. Thank you so much for listening.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Thank you very much indeed for taking the time to post your review, the team will be delighted by your commnets and very pleased you had such a great stay with us at Holiday Inn Reading West. In particular, I will ensure Alena on reception is made aware of your kind words and that we recognise her efforts.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

on arrival we were greeted by a friendly helpful person on reception,when we got to our room we were pleasantly surprised by what we saw the room was clean and generally well presented we were attending a wedding close by and the receptionist was happy to organise a taxi for us and called the room to let us know he had arrived when we returned the night porter was helpful and polite supplying extra tea bags and milk on request,breakfast the following morning was fantastic value for money and very tasty I would not hesitate to stay here again if in the area

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words, I am delighted you enjoyed you stay. We hope we will have the pleasure of you company again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

I find that Holiday Inns, sadly, vary in their quality and service, so was a little nervous about staying here on business. I needn't have worried...it does exactly what it says on the tin and it does it well. The welcome I received at reception was warm, helpful and friendly, and the reception staff remained so for my entire stay. The rooms were spotless (holiday inn decor standards, but spotless so I don't care) and the food was good. Lots of lovely staff on hand all the time for whatever you needed. Loved it. Although it was a work trip it was a pleasure to be there!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Thank you very much for your kind words.

Having only 50 guet bedrooms we are one of the smaller Holiday Inns in the UK and hopefully we use this to our advantage by being able to get to know our guests and try and deliver an indivudual and caring service.

I will esnure the team are made aware of your feedback, it does really help make all their hard work and effort feel worthwhile, especially in a world where people are very quick to complain but perhaps not so quick so say well done; thank you very much for this.

I very hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Reading West in the near future.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Maybe you choose Holiday Inn for exotic, quirky or plush hotels. If you do, this hotel may disappoint. If you want somewhere comfortable where the staff are keen to make a good stay, then this will hit the target. Rooms are fine, breakfasts are good and everything works well. For a good value evening meal the Butt Inn 10 mins walk away is a good bet, but there's slightly pricey food at the hotel. If you need a hotel in this slightly out of the way location, you could do worse

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you for posting your review and thank you for the very kind words about the hotel and especially the team at Holiday Inn Reading West.

I would like to point out that the hotel is only 3 miles from M4 jct 12 and within easy travel of both Reading and Newbury plus the several villages in between. Being located off the A4 transport links are easy and there is a bus stop right outside the hotel serving both Reading and Newbury and you can be at Aldermaston Staion in less than 15 minute walk.

The Butt Inn in Aldermaston is a nice local pub and does service good food - we used it for our team Xmas Dinner in January, however, I would just point out that things like the burgers, chicken and steaks on our lounge menu, as well as desserts are priced very similarly so I hope you might give that a go next time you are here.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

I'm a regular visitor to Holiday Inns (platinum Priority Club member), so must say I was really disappointed with my stay here. So much so that if I stay in the area again, I shall be looking to stay elsewhere.

I arrived late (around 11:30pm) and as expected, there was plenty of free on site parking.

My 'welcome' was shambolic. I'm not expecting red carpet treatment... A simple greeting, plus some information on breakfast, location of my room etc would be useful! The chap who came to reception was scruffy and didn't bother to tell me anything! I had to ask about breakfast times... I had to ask whether or not the room was prepaid....I had to ask whereabouts my room was. Not a great start! I showed him my platinum card and no response.... He didn't even check to see if there were any room upgrades available.

I went to Room 21 and noticed several things...
i) the bathroom floor had not been cleaned properly.
Ii) The double room was 2 single beds pushed/fastened together.
Iii) the noise from the air conditioning unit was excessive
Iv) when you use the iron, you twist a dial to reflect how long you want the iron to stay on for. Appreciate this is a safety mechanism but it sounds like an egg timer! Therefore, it's the most infuriating noise ever!!

Things like this should not happen in a competitive industry!

I needed some sleep, so didn't raise these issues and I left the hotel just before 6am.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback, I am very sorry that on this occassion we have failed to live up to your expectations and would like to apologise for this.

Please be assured I will take all you feedback on board and where necessary and appropriate will make sure corrective coaching and/or refresher training is carried out.

It is a real shame you didn't mention any of this to us whilst you were on site (we do have a live-in Duty Manager on call) as I am sure we could have looked into and dealt with some, if not all of the matters you raise whilst you were with us.

I really do hope your experience won't put you off using Holiday Inn Reading West again in the future and if you do find yourself back in the area needing a bedroom please call me directly and I will personally attend to your reservation. As you have mentioned yourself, your feedback is in contrast to much of the feedback we receive, especially about the team and service.

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Padworth
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11
Holiday Inn Reading M4 Jct 10
Best Western West Grange Hotel
Best Western Reading Calcot Hotel
Good Night Inns Berkshire Arms Hotel
The Hind's Head
The Hind's Head
#1 of 1 in Aldermaston

Been to Holiday Inn Reading West? Share your experiences!