“Enthusiastic staff in a Passable Place”

Holiday Inn Reading West
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Padworth
UK
“Enthusiastic staff in a Passable Place”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Maybe you choose Holiday Inn for exotic, quirky or plush hotels. If you do, this hotel may disappoint. If you want somewhere comfortable where the staff are keen to make a good stay, then this will hit the target. Rooms are fine, breakfasts are good and everything works well. For a good value evening meal the Butt Inn 10 mins walk away is a good bet, but there's slightly pricey food at the hotel. If you need a hotel in this slightly out of the way location, you could do worse

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you for posting your review and thank you for the very kind words about the hotel and especially the team at Holiday Inn Reading West.

I would like to point out that the hotel is only 3 miles from M4 jct 12 and within easy travel of both Reading and Newbury plus the several villages in between. Being located off the A4 transport links are easy and there is a bus stop right outside the hotel serving both Reading and Newbury and you can be at Aldermaston Staion in less than 15 minute walk.

The Butt Inn in Aldermaston is a nice local pub and does service good food - we used it for our team Xmas Dinner in January, however, I would just point out that things like the burgers, chicken and steaks on our lounge menu, as well as desserts are priced very similarly so I hope you might give that a go next time you are here.

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Manchester
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

I'm a regular visitor to Holiday Inns (platinum Priority Club member), so must say I was really disappointed with my stay here. So much so that if I stay in the area again, I shall be looking to stay elsewhere.

I arrived late (around 11:30pm) and as expected, there was plenty of free on site parking.

My 'welcome' was shambolic. I'm not expecting red carpet treatment... A simple greeting, plus some information on breakfast, location of my room etc would be useful! The chap who came to reception was scruffy and didn't bother to tell me anything! I had to ask about breakfast times... I had to ask whether or not the room was prepaid....I had to ask whereabouts my room was. Not a great start! I showed him my platinum card and no response.... He didn't even check to see if there were any room upgrades available.

I went to Room 21 and noticed several things...
i) the bathroom floor had not been cleaned properly.
Ii) The double room was 2 single beds pushed/fastened together.
Iii) the noise from the air conditioning unit was excessive
Iv) when you use the iron, you twist a dial to reflect how long you want the iron to stay on for. Appreciate this is a safety mechanism but it sounds like an egg timer! Therefore, it's the most infuriating noise ever!!

Things like this should not happen in a competitive industry!

I needed some sleep, so didn't raise these issues and I left the hotel just before 6am.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback, I am very sorry that on this occassion we have failed to live up to your expectations and would like to apologise for this.

Please be assured I will take all you feedback on board and where necessary and appropriate will make sure corrective coaching and/or refresher training is carried out.

It is a real shame you didn't mention any of this to us whilst you were on site (we do have a live-in Duty Manager on call) as I am sure we could have looked into and dealt with some, if not all of the matters you raise whilst you were with us.

I really do hope your experience won't put you off using Holiday Inn Reading West again in the future and if you do find yourself back in the area needing a bedroom please call me directly and I will personally attend to your reservation. As you have mentioned yourself, your feedback is in contrast to much of the feedback we receive, especially about the team and service.

Kind regards

Travelers are raving about these Padworth hotels

Berkshire
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We got married her September last year and I can not fault them at all.
The wedding co-ordinator was brilliant from start to finish and the whole day went without one single hitch.
We had the whole day here and they kindly let me put all my stuff in the honeymoon suit and the function room the day before.
Hotel is lovely and clean and everyone commented on the food for the wedding breakfast and buffet as excellent.
We did there special offer wedding package and I would highly recommend it as it was fantastic value for money. I only have one recommendation and that is to put lights out on the patio area.
Would like to say thank you for making our day special

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted your special day went so well. I will pass your feedback on to all the team, especially Alison, our Events Co-ordinator, she will really appreciate it.

I trust all is going well with married life and we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Reading West, perhaps for an anniversary stay.

Bristol
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have just stayed a night in this hotel with my husband and 12 yr old.
Booking over the phone was simple (I phoned the hotel directly as I needed to confirm some details) the receptionist was efficient and friendly, both on the phone and when we booked in.
The hotel was clean, and well presented. The room was large enough, especially as we had the sofa bed made up- but there was sufficient room to walk between the beds. There were all the usual extras available in the room (coffee, soap etc)
Bathroom was clean and a good size.
We decided to stay for the breakfast in the am. We are pleased we did!
Excellent selection of continental and cooked breakfast, fresh crusty bread and pastries. The cooked breakfast was excellent! The poached eggs were superb! Really good value for money and the coffee is freshly brewed to order.
Thank you for a pleasant, hassle free, relaxing stay. A credit to the Holiday Inn group!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you very much for your very kind words, I am delighted you had such a great stay and I will pass your feedback on to the team, especially the breakfast team.

I do hope you will choose to stay with us at Holiday Inn Reading West again in the future.

UK
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed for one night on 23rd December, having attended a wedding reception at nearby Ufton Court that evening. We booked through booking.com for quite a good price a couple of weeks before our stay. We checked in at around 5pm and asked if we could get something to eat before we set off to the wedding reception but the restaurant wasn't due to open until 7pm because of the time of year, however the receptionist checked behind the scenes and came back to tell us they would be able to offer us the bar menu from 6pm and we were impressed with this as there seemed to be very few guests staying and they were clearly going out of their way to help. And actually the food we had was tasty and not hugely expensive. Our room was very comfortable, and we had a really good night's sleep in a very comfy bed. This isn't a fancy hotel, but offers somewhere clean and comfortable to sleep for the night which is exactly what we needed. We didn't have breakfast here, we headed off to Windsor, but overall our stay was very good and all the staff we came into contact with were brilliant, and if we ever need to stay in this area again we would happily return here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind feedback.

You are quite right that it is the team at the hotel that really make the difference; they all work hard to try and ensure that all our guests are made to feel welcome and valued.

Melksham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is a little way from Reading but as we used to live locally we knew this when we booked. Initially had a problem with the room but quickly moved by friendly and helpful receptionist. I have stayed in two of the other IHG hotels in Reading and I found rooms in Reading West compared very favourably and of good size and standard. I found the staff friendly and helpful and would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Thank you very much for your posting your review, I will pass your feedback on to the team members that were on duty during your visit, they will appreciate your kind words.

I am delighted that you found Holiday Inn Reading West so welcoming and that you appreciated the size and comfort of the bedroom. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel at some future date.

Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2012

In the middle of nowhere but near a main road so quite noisy. Nowhere to go without your car, tried a couple of local pubs but they were long since turned into restaurants. So I ate in the hotel. The menu was uninspiring and expensive - designed for people on expenses I suppose. £11 for a burger and fries and they automatically add 10% service charge onto the hotel bill. The bar was not somewhere you would want to spend any time, and it had a poor selection of beers. Restaurant similarly was somewhere you would go out of necessity. Room and general decor was OK. Bed was large but a bit lumpy. Good shower, wash basin cracked. Breakfast was a good selection, though some larger plates would have been nice for the cooked breakfast (not to fit more on, just so you felt less greedy!).Overall it felt more like a motel - I would stay again but only if there was nothing better!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel following your stay last month. Naturally I am a little disappointed by some of your feedback but thank you for sharing your opinion.

With regards our location, it is as per our postal address and the location can easily be seen on sites such as Google maps, etc..., we do not pretend to be somewhere we are not. We are located just off the A4 in Padworth, just 3 miles from junction 12 of the M4 motorway, only 4 miles from Thatcham town centre, 6 miles from Reading and 7 from Newbury. We are very handily placed for people working or visiting AWE Aldermaston and the business parks nearby such as Theale, Aldermaston, Thatcham, Caliva Park, etc... and we have ample free car parking available for our guests. The hotel is very popular and is regularly fully booked during the week, mainly with corporate guests and at weekends with weddings, functions and private guests visiting and exploring the Thames Valley and Kennet and Avon, amongst other places.

Whilst having your own transport undoubtedly makes getting around easier, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel with a regular service running between Newbury and Reading, Aldermaston Station is less than a 10 minutes walk away again with services into Reading and Newbury and of course, we can always help organise taxis for our guests.

I am sorry and disappointed you did not enjoy the bar and restaurant. Our food prices are pretty competitive in the local market place. The burger you mention is a hand made burger with all the trimmings and features on the menu of all our sister properties located all the way from Glasgow to Brighton at this price. We do offer a regularly changing local chef's special menu and you can eat in the lounge or restaurant for as little as £9.95 for a main course meal. The service charge, as explained on the menus, is entirely discretionary.

We are most definitely a hotel and not a motel. You have yourself mentioned that we are full service and offer a full bar, lounge/bar menu, restaurant menu, full breakfast, 24 hour room service and 24h hour manned reception as well as facilities for meetings, conferences, functions and events.

All our bedrooms have double glazed sealed windows and have an additional secondary glazing window on the inside, so the bedrooms are actually very quiet - something a number of guests regularly comment on as they are pleasantly surprised. In addition to this all rooms are air conditioned so eve in summer you can remain cool without having to open a window to compromise the sound proofing.

I am very pleased you have stated you would stay again and I'd be very pleased to meet up and discuss your feedback in person on a future stay.

Thank you once again for your comments

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Padworth
Best Western West Grange Hotel
Travelodge Reading M4 Westbound
The Elephant at Pangbourne
The Elephant at Pangbourne
#1 of 4 in Pangbourne

Been to Holiday Inn Reading West? Share your experiences!