“Its a motel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Padworth
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Its a motel”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

In the middle of nowhere but near a main road so quite noisy. Nowhere to go without your car, tried a couple of local pubs but they were long since turned into restaurants. So I ate in the hotel. The menu was uninspiring and expensive - designed for people on expenses I suppose. £11 for a burger and fries and they automatically add 10% service charge onto the hotel bill. The bar was not somewhere you would want to spend any time, and it had a poor selection of beers. Restaurant similarly was somewhere you would go out of necessity. Room and general decor was OK. Bed was large but a bit lumpy. Good shower, wash basin cracked. Breakfast was a good selection, though some larger plates would have been nice for the cooked breakfast (not to fit more on, just so you felt less greedy!).Overall it felt more like a motel - I would stay again but only if there was nothing better!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel following your stay last month. Naturally I am a little disappointed by some of your feedback but thank you for sharing your opinion.

With regards our location, it is as per our postal address and the location can easily be seen on sites such as Google maps, etc..., we do not pretend to be somewhere we are not. We are located just off the A4 in Padworth, just 3 miles from junction 12 of the M4 motorway, only 4 miles from Thatcham town centre, 6 miles from Reading and 7 from Newbury. We are very handily placed for people working or visiting AWE Aldermaston and the business parks nearby such as Theale, Aldermaston, Thatcham, Caliva Park, etc... and we have ample free car parking available for our guests. The hotel is very popular and is regularly fully booked during the week, mainly with corporate guests and at weekends with weddings, functions and private guests visiting and exploring the Thames Valley and Kennet and Avon, amongst other places.

Whilst having your own transport undoubtedly makes getting around easier, there is a bus stop right outside the hotel with a regular service running between Newbury and Reading, Aldermaston Station is less than a 10 minutes walk away again with services into Reading and Newbury and of course, we can always help organise taxis for our guests.

I am sorry and disappointed you did not enjoy the bar and restaurant. Our food prices are pretty competitive in the local market place. The burger you mention is a hand made burger with all the trimmings and features on the menu of all our sister properties located all the way from Glasgow to Brighton at this price. We do offer a regularly changing local chef's special menu and you can eat in the lounge or restaurant for as little as £9.95 for a main course meal. The service charge, as explained on the menus, is entirely discretionary.

We are most definitely a hotel and not a motel. You have yourself mentioned that we are full service and offer a full bar, lounge/bar menu, restaurant menu, full breakfast, 24 hour room service and 24h hour manned reception as well as facilities for meetings, conferences, functions and events.

All our bedrooms have double glazed sealed windows and have an additional secondary glazing window on the inside, so the bedrooms are actually very quiet - something a number of guests regularly comment on as they are pleasantly surprised. In addition to this all rooms are air conditioned so eve in summer you can remain cool without having to open a window to compromise the sound proofing.

I am very pleased you have stated you would stay again and I'd be very pleased to meet up and discuss your feedback in person on a future stay.

Thank you once again for your comments

Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Stayed for three nights and found the experience very pleasant. Hotel is light and airy. I had a room very close to the bar/restaurant area on the ground floor and was worred about noise but didn't hear anything during the night. The room was a decent size and clean. Staff were friendly and very helpful, food was OK, a bit pricey, as were the drinks. Would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MrsSilverF0x
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and especially the fact that you found the team friendly and helpful, they all work very hard to try and ensure every guest is made to feel welcome and will appreciate your kind words, thank you.

Thank you for your feedback regarding our food and beverage prices, I'm sorry you felt these were expensive. We constantly review our menus and pricing against other similar standard hotels and restaurants in the area and believe we do remain competitive. We have a wide choice available and have main meals available in the lounge or restaurant from as a little as £5.95.

Thank you again for all your feedback, we do appreciate it and we look forward to welcoming you back to Holiday Inn Reading West in the not to distant future.

Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Part of a professional journey, colleagues and I booked rooms at this Holiday Inn hotel.
The decoration is so warm and welcoming. Very nice!
As I walked in my room, the TV was on and I had to pick the remote control up to low the sound level down: the remote was in fact covering an advertising for "access to adult movies".
I personnally thought that it was not fully appropriate for the standard of the hotel (my colleagues did not fully support the commercial either). This may need reviewing by the team of the hotel.
The bed was big and comfortable with 2 different sets of pillows (soft and firm) which is brilliant.
The bath room is also significantly big with nice huge towels.
There are facilities for tea and coffee and ironing equipment.
There is also a Fitness room which I did not have the time to enjoy (but having a quick look, it looks well equiped, well maintained and very clean.
The room was cold and I managed to warm it by set the A/C fan on. Unfortunately, the fan is very very noisy.
You then have got to make a choice: be warm but try to sleep with a loud fan on or be cold but sleep in a silent room. My colleagues had to make the same choice. It is just a shame :-(...
From the room, I did not hear the people staying next door (both sides) at all! Which is not always the case in other hotels! A big bonus for me!
The food at the restaurant was fantastic and I truly recommend anybody to try the steaks!
The breakfast was very nice with a nice and large variety of food and drinks!
Finally, the staff is very welcoming and very helpful (from the reception to the bar/restaurant).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your review, whilst disappointed that you only scored us 3/5 (which incidentally we regard as a fail), I was very pleased to read all your very kind and complimentary comments, especially those regarding the team - they are what makes this hotel stand out from the competition. I was also delighted to read how fantastic you found the food and the comfort and size of the bedrooms.

I take on board your comment about the pay movies and will look into this, thank you for this feedback.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Overall, this is not a bad hotel.
Depending on what you're doing, this is likely to be a good hotel for a business stay etc.

The rooms weren't particularly big - I've stayed in bigger at other chains and Holiday Inns and it could probably do with a lick of paint and a new mattress, but not bad.
It was a decent price (£50 incl breakfast) so that's quite good value for money. Large free car park as well. And the staff were generally very pleasant.

Issue we had, was finding out that another guest had been given a key to OUR room and had gone into our room, before realising it was not free. Reception had then moved them, but they were a guest at the same wedding as us, so we found out.
I was really annoyed at this, because it's a very level of security - we had left all our belongings in there.

The Area Manager was very good though and quick resolved the issue, refunding our room.
Would I stay at this hotel again? Yes, despite the issue, I felt it was well resolved and it wouldn't put me off giving the hotel another chance.

It has some good points going for it as a good value 3* plus hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid downstair rooms near reception as can be noisy if there is a party/wedding stay there.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Many thanks for your posting - I'm not quite sure what has promted or motivated you to post this some 9 months after your stay, and our subsequent correspondence, but thank you anyway.

I have copied below my initial repsonse to you and your follow up email which will hopefully give anyone reviewing Holiday Inn Reading West a full and balanced overview.

Kind Regards

Dear Philip,

Thank you very much for your prompt response in relation to this matter.

I can understand your response and where the mix-up occurred, although obviously I was dissapointed it did happen. I don't like to give negative feedback unduly, but hope it does go some way to at least allowing yourselves to see where there are issues etc that can be improved upon. But as I say, I do appreciate your response.

It probably gets said a lot, but my partner and I normally choose Holiday Inn when we stay around the UK because it combines good quality and good service with affordability. Which is probably what made it more dissapointing, as I know how good Holiday Inn normally are.

Thank you for the refund of our £**.**, that's much appreciated. I'd certainly be interested in coming back for another stay at Holiday Inn Reading West - I've seen very good reviews on Trip Advisor, and aside from the issue mentioned, there were some very nice aspects of the hotel. So I look forward to seeing these again.

If it's OK with you, I will confirm with my partner what her availability is and contact you within the next week or so regarding a date for this?

Once again, thank you for your response and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Kind regards,

Ian B
Tel: ***** ******

Dear Mr B, thank you very much for your email and for drawing this very serious issue to my attention, I can only apologise for any lapses you experienced during your recent stay with us.

Mr B, I can make no excuses for what happened but would just like to point out that the hotel was very busy over the bank holiday weekend with lots of guests attending weddings and events in the local area. Typically, like you, many guests arrived at the hotel early wanting to get straight into bedrooms in order to get freshened up and changed before going to their function. Many of the guests from the previous night, having been at events of their own until late, were taking advantage of a lie in and many were not checking out of their rooms until our midday check-out time.

It would appear that the bedroom you had initially been allocated had only recently been vacated by the previous occupants when you arrived at the hotel, so in her eagerness to try and get you straight into a bedroom so you could get ready, the receptionist on duty reallocated your bedroom to one that had been serviced already. This, it would appear, is what caused some confusion on our part as some of this information was not updated. Again, I can only apologies for this and assure you that we will share this feedback with the team member concerned and carry out corrective training with all the team.

The same applies to the night porter who, as you quite rightly point out, should be asking the guest for their name as confirmation that it is the correct person requesting the room key. I have already spoken to him and will address with the whole team to remind them of the responsibilities in this regard.

Mr B, clearly there is nothing I can do to change the experience you had at Holiday Inn Reading West but I really do hope you won’t judge all Holiday Inns by this experience and I do assure you that this is an isolated matter and whilst little comfort to you, is the first time in the five years I have been here that I am aware of anything like this happening.

Mr B, I will make arrangements to refund in full the £**.** you paid for your stay and I would also like to offer you the opportunity to come back to Holiday Inn Reading West for a complimentary nights bed and breakfast for 2 people, on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday of your choosing (subject to availability) between now and the end of August, to give us the opportunity to show you the high level of service and care we usually offer our guests and that has seen us achieve a top 10 ranking in guest survey results across all Holiday Inns in the UK and Ireland.

Once again, please accept my very sincere apologies that on this occasion we have let you down. If you would like to discuss the matter further, any of my response or to take up my offer of the complimentary bedroom, please call me directly at the hotel.

Philip
County Durham
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was quite a way from Reading. The hotel is well laid out and quiet. The public areas are old fashioned which adds to the atmosphere. The rooms are what you would expect in a Holiday Inn. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and felt that there something lacking. A little background music may have improved the experience. You felt as though you could not talk because it was too quiet. The food was very good as the breakfast the following morning, although again there was something missing with the music, you usually here the TV which there is not in the restaurant area. All the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to post your review, it is really pleasing for us when guests take the trouble to post their positive experiences.

I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay at Holiday Inn Reading West and found the hotel so comfortable, peaceful and relaxing.

I note you comments about background music - it seems to be one of those things people either love or hate! We do actually have background music in all the public areas, including the bar, lobby and restaurant, in fact it is a Holiday Inn brand standard. Ours is supplied via an on-line provider and I know we have had one or two challenges recently with our server so that might explain why you didn't hear anything during your stay.

In addition, I'm sure you noticed the large flat screen TV we have in the bar, just at the entrance to the restaurant. This is generally left on Sky News for our guests although if there is a sports event or similar that guests which to view the channel can of course be changed.

Thank you again for your kind words, I do hope we will see you back with us in the not too distant future.

Thatcham
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed here with my partner for 1 night over the weekend. We were attending a wedding ceremony at the Old Mill so this hotel was the perfect location and was fairly reasonable in price.

The room was big enough and the bathroom was clean and had the required facilities. One of the only things that shocked me was there was no complimentary toiletries in the bathroom. Although there was a sign located next to the door to state that if we needed any toothpaste, shower gel etc. we could ask at reception, I would rather these were provided anyway. I didn't like the thought of having to walk to reception and embarrassingly ask for toothpaste or deodorant.

The only other problem was the shower. Not only could the shower head not be removed from the wall it was near impossible to find the correct temperature. I spent a rather long time turning the taps and having it switch from hot to cold constantly. The slighest movement of the tap and the temperature would completely change.

Despite these minor issues, I thoroughly enjoyed the stay and was more than satisfied with the breakfast that was provided. Although it did not appear a lot initially, I managed to eat a variety of the different food provided and was happy with the cost.

I would only stay here if I was attending a party close by, and would probably recommend this location for business people.

Room Tip: Apparently there was no lift in the hotel, so choose a ground level room for ease of access.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you very much for your feedback, I'm very please that you thoroughly enjoyed the stay and that you found that the hotel was in the perfect location and was fairly reasonable in price.

I am rather disappointed however that your overall rating is only 3/5 and I can only apologies that we appear to have failed you in that respect.

With regards guest toiletries, we do provide complimentary shampoo, soaps and shower gel in all our bedrooms and a wider selection of individual toiletry items in our Executive Bedrooms. Things such as toothpaste are not provided as a matter of course but as you quite rightly point out are available, free of charge, to hotel guests upon request.

I'm sorry you experienced difficulties with the water temperature in your shower. All our showers have a thematically controlled tap to prevent fluctuations in temperature so I'm not quite sure what the issue here might have been. Had you informed us during the stay we could have had a look for you and either shown you how to operate or fixed it if there was any issue.

Thanks again for your comments and feedback

Cardiff, Wales, UK
Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

I'm staying in this hotel on business and up to now stayed 3 nights but what really angers me is the bloody service charge at the restaurant There is no option, they add service charge of 10% for food and don't tell u or highlight it is an option. So they do not do anything or make the effort to justify the service charge as they EXPECT IT!! They are just ripping off the customer! I was in the restaurant 3 nights in a row and everytime i had to chase them to get my food, very poor service and food was just ok. U even get charged service charge when you have SELF Buffet!!! Crap and poor - sort this out or justify your service charge or u do u expect the customer to supplement your staff wages!!!

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank dav7200
Philip J, General Manager at Holiday Inn Reading West, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Dav7200, thank you for your posting, I am very sorry indeed that you feel so angry about your experience at Holiday Inn Reading West and that you didn't mention this to any of the management team during your stay.

I am very sorry that you feel the service you received was very poor, I would be most grateful if you could contact me with some specific details so I can follow up and deal with them in an appropriate manner. I'd also like to understand more about the 'self buffet' you refer to as we do not operate a buffet service at dinner at this hotel.

I would like to point out that the service charge in the dining room is discretionary and is highlighted and explained on all our menus as follows;

'A 10% discretionary service charge will be added to your bill. The service charge is entirely discretionary and all of these payments go towards our employee bonus schemes which reward total team performance'

This is also shown on the restaurant bills presented for confirmation, payment and/or signature to diners at the end of their meal and, if you charged your meal to bedroom, on your bill at check-out (where it can still be removed if you wish it to be).

I can assure you these payments are not used in any way as part of anyone’s contractual wages.

Once again I apologise for any shortfalls you may have experienced and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Padworth
Holiday Inn Reading - South M4, Jct.11
Good Night Inns Berkshire Arms Hotel
Hilton Reading
Hilton Reading
#3 of 31 in Reading

Been to Holiday Inn Reading West? Share your experiences!