“Working nights”

Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Padworth
Reviewed November 30, 2013

I have just stayed in the above Hotel for the past 10 days working nights I the local area. I asked for a quiet daytime room. The hotel did place me in a very quiet room away from the main heart of the hotel. The room was basic but very clean and tidy. There were coffee and tea makings and a modern TV. The only problem was with the plumbing, the shower was about as much use as a chocolate teapot, the pressure was virtually nil. There was a bath but as it was a three-quarters size and I am 6 ft. tall it was not an option. The staff were friendly and efficient. The internet was free in the small reception area but at a cost of £7.50 per 24hr period to have internet access in your room, I think was on the expensive side. In todays climate internet should be included in the room price. The house keeping staff were excellent, made sure that I had clean towels regularly and restocked with tea and coffee's also on a regular basis (they had no access to the room during the day). The price for my stay was I feel expensive as it was room only with no internet and effectively a useless shower.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 21, 2013

An older property that probably needs some refurbishment in places. Staff welcoming and friendly. I ate at the in house restaurant and everything was fine. My single room was small but was spotlessly clean and had everything I required. Although the hotel is flanked on one side by the busy A4 road and on the other by a railway line, I managed a good night's rest. The hotel is not far from the M4 and I was able to get to Heathrow quite quickly for an early morning flight (albeit before the start of the rush hour). Good value for a 2 star hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed there for a few nights in October 2013.
Surprisingly small rooms, about 8 sqm. A bed, a chair, no room to put the suitcase..
No WLAN in the room, Very thin doors and walls. Pls ask your neighbours to whisper.
Hotel has a basic restaurant with 3-4 menu items and industrial beers only (Heineken group).
Located on a busy through-road, it reminds me of some of the less mundane motels in USA, in 1960's style.
OK for some nights if you're really stranded, but neither very cheap nor very comfortable.

1  Thank Markus U
SKC H, Operations Director SKC Hotels at Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Hello Marcus U,

Thank you for your comments which are always appreciated. Even though some of our rooms are not as big as others there are very few times (that we know of) that they are described as suprisingly small and, as far as I know, having slept in every room several times, I would say that storage space is available.

We offer a varied menu selection and a specials board which is updated regularly. The Comfort Hotel Reading West runs at higher than average occupancy levels in the area and our restaurant is extensively used, therefore the 3 or 4 menu choices you state would simply not work. We do use a national supplier for beverages however I'm not sure we would class international brands as "industrial". We offer a varied choice from the major selling brands in the UK as do many hotels, bars and restaurants.

Regarding price, we always sell our bedrooms at the best possible price for the area and, as said before, we run at higher than average occupancy levels for West Berkshire. I think it would be fair to say that if we were not competative then we would not be so busy.

Wifi is currently free to use in our public areas and we are pleased to advise that this will soon be available free of charge thgoughout the entire hotel.

Once again, we do thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It is important to know that we do take time to discuss and review costumer opinion and use it as a way of learing.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

An abominable hotel. When I arrived and during the course of my stay, there was no heating, and I had to use a small portable electric heater. The room decor was grubby, and the central heating pipes in my room were disgusting (and not working). I have the photos! Food was pile it high and sell it cheap. Limited range of wines, and beer/lager cellar not well kept. Front rooms are yards from busy A4 main road, so noisy until late at night and from early morning. Understaffed, at one point i waited 20 mins to get a drink. Stay away.

2  Thank RichardWTC
SKC H, Director - Sales & Operations at Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Hello Richard WTC, First of all, we thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Negative comments are not always easy to accept however we do think that some of the points you raise require attention. We have commissioned a full report from the Hotel Manager and we will be discussing this matter in great detail. We would apologise for the fact that you did not enjoy your stay.

It is a shame that you did not like the food however we do get a number of good comments from guests and we really do want to highlight this. Many people enjoy both the quality and the value we provide.

The hotel is situated on the main A4 but, in all honesty we get very few comments about the noise from the road however, we can see that this was not acceptable to you.

Finally, we have addressed the issue with the heating. There was an problem with this at the time that you stayed with us however this has now been rectified and, once again, we are sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed here for one night when attending a friend's wedding nearby. On the plus side, they did let us and three other couples we were with have a room ahead of check-in time so we could get ready, but that is all i can find that's good to say about it. Rooms are really shabby with dated decor and fixtures, and a bit of a smell about them. We returned from the wedding before the hotel bar's advertised closing time, but were told they couldn't really serve us anything as there was an event on the next day and they didn't want to run out of stock for that. The event was a vintage car rally - which meant we were woken up by some very noisy cars outside our room at about half past eight. We had booked in on a deal which included breakfast - which was really really poor, badly cooked, canned / mass-produced ingredients served with little pride. When checking out, we were told that there was no record of our deal and that we would have to pay £10 each for the breakfasts. There were apparently no senior staff on site with authority to review this (at checkout on a sunday morning, surely the busiest time?), so was told to pay the extra and then contact the hotel on monday to be refunded. Emailed hotel, a month later and I'm still waiting for a reply...

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mls1981
SKC H, Operations Director @ SKC Group at Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear mls 1981, Personally I want to thank you for posting your comments. It is very important to acknowledge such, investigate and move on in a positive manner.

At the time of writing, I am still looking into certain points you raise however I do assure you that steps are being taken to address these. Neither myself of the General Manager seem to have received your email but if you would be kind enough to send again and cc to andrew@skcgroup.com I would appreciate this.

Thank you once again. . . .

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed here whilst working away from home for a couple of weeks the hotel is basic. However all needs are catered for its clean and tidy. What the hotel may lack in bells and whistles is more than made up for by the staff. Very friendly and always willing to assist in anyway they can. The way the staff treat people is a massive credit to the entire hotel industry.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
SKC H, Director-Sales & Operations at Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Hi Cadfel.

Many thanks for positive feedback. It is great when customers do so. We are a small team at the hotel and our customers are very important to us. Yes it is basic, but comfortable.
We look forward to welcoming you back maybe in the near future and thanks again for writing this review.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Stayed one night. Very good value at £32 for a Sunday night but the rooms need money spending on them. Staff were very good and the one chap seemed to be on 24 hours a day, somehow kept his spirits up. Food wasn't bad for the price.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
SKC H, Director of Sales at Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Many thanks for writing you review. Being a small hotel with a small quantity of staff, they sometimes have to diversify their job roles. All the staff enjoy working at the hotel and take pride in all they do. Delighted to hear you feel you received good value. There is an on going refurbishment programme happening so hopefully in time should you return, you will see changes.
Once again thanks for writing your review.

Been to Flexistay Reading West Aparthotel? Share your experiences!