“Best Around Here”
Review of Escudo Jaguar

Escudo Jaguar
Reviewed April 8, 2012

Escudo Jaguar is not a luxury hotel but it is nice. It is located in a treed area on the bank of the Usumacina River and not in the town which is also nice. The town of Frontera Corazol is dirty and has nothing to offer. There are no banks or bank machines or good restaurants. Bring enough cash for your time here. On their website the cabins are pink but they have recently been painted a pleasing olive colour. There is a restaurant at the hotel which is ok but has limited choices. No potatoes other than french fries. The rooms are expensive but if you book on line, as I did, you can get up to 50% off. The rooms are spacious and very clean. Would liked to have seen deadbolt locks on the door but they had only cheap doorknob locks. There are two different companies offering boat trips on the river to Yaxchilan and Bethal Guatemala. One is in town and the other is located right at the hotel. If you are going to Guatemala make sure you pay your exit fee at a bank somewhere in Mexico before coming to Frontera Corozal. If you have not paid, you will not be able to get your exit stamp in your passport and there is no place here to pay it. You may have to go back to Palengaue to pay. This is the best place around here to base yourself for trips to the ruins and to Guatemala.

Room Tip: All about the same but I like the ones closer to the water with no other cabins in front.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Find_Tom

Reviewed March 10, 2012

Okay, I admit this was the most spartan place we stayed on our guided tour to see Mayan ruins. The water pressure was near zero, and it was very cold any way. We had screens on our ceiling to keep bugs from falling in from the thatched roof. It has cement floors. No shower curtains. But our fan and lights worked okay, and there were no bugs in the room. Bed was comfortable enough.

But because it is so close to Yaxchilan, this is the place to stay, because seeing Yaxchilan is quite a treat. You will board a motor launch and ride an hour down the Usumacinta River to the Mayan ruins - it felt to me like a jungle adventure! There was a troop of howler monkeys hanging out in the tree when we returned from our all day visit it Yaxchilan - they were unafraid so we easily shot a ton of monkey photographs.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Enyedy00
Reviewed November 5, 2011

This accommodation is in the middle of nowhere land but it's the only or best choice I know if you wish to visit the amazing site of Yaxchilan. The room we stayed in was extremely basic. Yellow water from the tap and spider webs on the roof of the cabana but overall the room was clean. Comfy mattress. Grumpy receptionist. Natural alarm clock (howler monkeys).

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Traveltheclock
Reviewed September 8, 2010

If the location is perfect next to the place where the boat leaves for yaxchilan the room are very noisy and quite dark. The staff is helpful.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Remi92200
Reviewed July 22, 2010

I stayed one night in Escudo Jaguar, and one night in the Nueva Alianza, just across the road. These are two Mayan Chol run toruist lodges designed for people visiting the Yaxchilan Mayan site. They are both very well situated near the dock where boat leaves from, and will arrnage your boat travel for you.

Overall I would say they are both fine, and offer a range of accommodations for all bugets. Nueva Alianza offers cheaper low-end rooms, at MX$120 per person for a single room with double bed, Escudo Jaguar offers double rooms with two single beds for MX$270, the price is the same regardless of if it is single or double occupancy, so people travelling on their own will spend less at Nueva Alianza.

The rooms at Escudo Jaguar are marginally nicer, and the shared bathrooms marginally cleaner, but overall cleanliess was not great in either place.

The restaurants of both places are excellent, and staff are very friendly.

Overall I would say that the budget accommodation at Escudo Jaguar is nothing special, but certainly fine considering the lack of options, and pretty reasonably priced.
Hopefully someone else will be able to review the higher priced accommodations to give a more well-rounded review of the place.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Madster2010
Reviewed May 5, 2009

My husband and I spent two nights at Escudo Jaguar in March, 2009. It is run by members of the local Mayan community. As they point out in their promotional literature most of them have lived isolated from modern society until very recently and they apologize in advance for any shortcomings. In my view they don’t need to apologize for anything.

We reserved our cabin on line through their web page, and it worked very efficiently. We would recommend bringing a printout of your confirmation.

Our experience was different from some earlier reviews. Perhaps time has brought improvements. The cabin we stayed in was basic, certainly, but clean and well equipped. The floor was tiled. The beds were very comfortable with good mosquito nets. It’s true the toilets do not accept toilet paper, but that’s pretty standard anywhere we’ve been in Mexico. The toilet had a seat and shower had curtains. The restaurant had good meals and there is a small store for snacks, cold drinks and other items. We found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful.

I can’t imagine anyone staying here and not taking a trip down the beautiful Usumacinta River to the incredible ruins of Yaxchilan. This can be arranged on site. The first view of the river as you walk down the steps to the boat landing just took my breath away. While some may object to night noises, we found the nightly concert of howler monkeys an amazing part of the adventure.

No, it’s not luxury accommodation, but it’s very good when you consider where you are and why you are there.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mspeed7
Reviewed June 10, 2008

My husband, 12 yr old son and I spent one night at Escudo Jaguar, during our trip to Yaxchilan and Bonompak this past April. In writing a review of Escudo, I have to begin by saying that our overall experience at Escudo Jaguar, and our boat ride to Yaxchilan, was a wonderful experience. We met one waiter at the restaurant at Escudo who went above and beyond in helping us, as well as the Mayan guide ,who identified himself as "Jon", who was so friendly and knowledgable, and who we hired to show us around Yaxchilan. Both were such warm and friendly people and extremely patient with our limited Spanish!

Also, I learned that the money that we spent at Escudo, goes to helping the local Mayan Indian community, which is very much needed. We did see much poverty throughout Chiapas, and it was nice to be able to know that the money at Escudo goes to helping the local community.

The cabanas themselves, were very basic or rustic. There were no toilet seats (not uncommon for Chiapas) and no shower curtain. The rooms had little light in them, and there was a strong lysol smell in the bathroom. Also during the evening, there was a controlled burn (i.e. controlled fire burning) up wind from us, so there was a lot of smoke in the area. There were a number of beds in each cabana - great for families. And the food in the restaurant was good.

Unfortunately I didn't hear any Howler monkeys nearby that evening, which I always enjoy hearing when I am in the jungle. We did however, see a family of Howler monkeys at Yaxchillan, which our guide was able to locate for us. The boat ride to Yaxchillan was also great fun.

Again, while the cabanas were more rustic, I definately don't want to discourage anyone from staying there. I think the only information I wished I had known before heading down to the area, that we subsequently learned, is that there is another set of cabanas near to the Bonompak ruins, that we could have stayed at . In other words, while the community in Frontera Corozol is small, Escudo Jaguar is not the only place where you can stay. Escudo is closer and easier when seeing Yaxchilan. The ruins at Bonompak are about a half hour north - and definately ruins you don't want to miss with the colored murals. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions about the area.
Heather

Stayed: April 2008
4  Thank heathermci

Been to Escudo Jaguar? Share your experiences!