Whitemead Caravan Park
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Wool
See available hotels
Limestone Hotel(West Lulworth)
View Hotel
West Lulworth House(West Lulworth)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
The Smuggler's Inn(Osmington Mills)
View Hotel
The Bankes Arms Hotel(Corfe Castle)
View Hotel
Mortons House Hotel(Corfe Castle)
Riviera Hotel(Weymouth)
View Hotel
All reviewsgames roomgreat sitetoilet blocklulworth coverailway lineshop on sitethe ownermonkey worldtank museumship innon arrivalclean facilitieskept immaculatechip shopplay parkdurdle doorsmall play area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Sadly this campsite is no good if you actually enjoy sleeping! I got at most an hours sleep due to the various loud noises, including trains and music. I would not return for this reason alone. The rest of the site was fairly average, owners not particularly helpful at all.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank RallyXS
Reviewed August 27, 2012

.Excellent site, very clean, shower block modern and kept clean. The owners are very friendly and helpful.
Free Internet access for 3 hours a day which is very useful. The only draw back, is the closeness of the railway line with the trains blowing there horn between 7am and 11pm, we have been going for several years and this has not caused much of a problem.
The Black Bear in Wool is excellent for food and drink.
The site is also very close for the local super market and Monkey World.
Overall an excellent camp site.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chrissyboy16
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We wanted to spend a weekend at Lulworth and durdle door and the campsite near there was 3 times the price of this one so no chance. We had camped here a few years ago and found it very good.

We booked for one night but when we arrived we asked if we could possibly stay for 2, the staff were very accomodating and got us a pitch that had some flexibility.

The GOOD - Immaculate facilities, plenty of showers and toilets. :)
The laundry looked good to.
A nice little shop ( Ioved the comment from another reviewer who said it was good they sold wine as it is needed for the regular 'couple tent pitch fight' Ha ha )
We pitched up in the afternoon and the site was nice and quiet, there was space between the pitches. We went out to Lulworth for the evening, it is about a 10/15 min drive away. When we returned the site about 10 pm its self was really quiet :)
There are a couple of places nearby to get food and a local pub just over the railway line which is handy.

The BAD - the rail way line the trains pass very regularly in the evening and for the safety of those walking accross the line to get to shops and pub they use their horn - till about 11.30ish and first thing. :( Depending on where you are on the site is will be louder .
The pub that is so handy has a outside seating area and on a nice summer night is popular, so there was a party atmosphere and it was noisy until about 12;30 .
This was followed by a disco somewhere ? not near enough for me to hear the whole tune just the boom boom of the base till about 2 am - this drove me to distraction !
There were some activity on the ranges but once I realised what it was I could switch off.
There was then what sounded like a large pack of dogs in the distance for about an hour, it sounded like a hunt ?? I wonder if it was the monkeys? Monkey world is nearby.

So we had a sleepless night :( we got up at 4.50 got dressed and went down to Durdle door to watch the sun rise. We were so shattered even although we were at the beach and the day was to be the hottest of the year we came back to the site at 9 am packed up and headed home and to bed.

So I have mixed feelings, it is a lovely well maintained site but it is hampered by external noises. If you can sleep anywhere and or have a good set of ear plugs I would reccomend. If like me you are a reluctant camper and are alight sleeper you can be in for a LONG night !

Room Tip: Get a pitch far from the rail line it may help TAKE EAR PLUGS !
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Caroline M
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I camped at Whitemead a few weeks ago with my boyfriend. We found the site easy to locate, although we are fairly local still a plus point for them. We fancied a weekend away as we have never camped before, and found this online as a reasonably priced and lovely looking place. Checking into the site was easy, lovely friendly staff and a welcoming atmosphere. We found the facilities to be clean and modern, much better than expected. There is an onsite shop supplying basics, including wine which was very much appreciated after an obligatory couples 'tent-putting-up-fight'. would definitely recommend to family and friends, very relaxing comfortable stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bertandjessie
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Good points 1st - Shower & Toilet facilities always clean and never had to wait, Free Wi-fi (Slow, but more than you get on most sites), Nice park for the Kids, Decent size pitches and site generally well maintained. On this basis 4/5 for the site however...am I the only person who has visited this site recently that isn't deaf or was everybody else advised to take ear muffs?

Close to the station an earlier reviewer said? It sounds like the train is going to get into bed with you you're that close! 3 cross over points close to the camp site which means that the regular trains have to HONK as they approach each crossing point. The trains run till around 23.00 and the regular HONKS turn into HOOONNKKS the later it gets. Whether this is something to do with the tracks being dark or just the drivers way of having a bit of fun I'm not sure?

When the trains stop the helicopters begin doing night excersizes. Almost every night during my stay they seemed to take off and hover in the air at around 23.00 and 03.00 for around 30 - 40 minutes each time. Just when you are back into the land of nod the trains start again at 06.00, HOOONNKK!!!

The people who reviewed this site as 'Lovely and relaxed' are either family friends or hard of hearing!? I'm not a light sleep at all and I found this to be the most unrelaxing site I've ever stayed on.

I feel sorry for the owners as the site is nice (although I found the snooping cycling owner a bit weird as other have commented on) and my above complaints are all beyond the owners control however in terms of would I stay hear again, I'd have to say No Chance, HONK!

Room Tip: Take ear muffs if you go hear.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family