“Big portions!!!”
Review of Uncle Joe's Roadhouse and Grill - CLOSED

Uncle Joe's Roadhouse and Grill
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Purpose built restaurant situated on the side of the A64 Leeds to Scarborough road between York and Malton. Large cark parking facilities and disabled access.
York, England, United Kingdom
“Big portions!!!”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I looked at the very mixed reviews on here before going to Uncle Joes tonight, but decided to give them a try. I'm very glad I did!

When we walked in, the manager (I presume) was on his way out, but stopped to get us seated straight away.

The layout of the restaurant is basic, but in perfect keeping with the diner theme. This is not a posh restaurant, but it's not supposed to be. The furnishing look brand new, and everything looks clean. Good start.

My only fault with our visit is that we weren't offered drinks before ordering. This meant that we were sat around for ten minutes twiddling our thumbs.

When service eventually came, the waiter was polite and friendly, and seemed knowledgeable about the dishes offered.

We were brought our Cokes, but these were almost flat, and not that cold. There was no ice, and we weren't offered any. Still drinkable though.

Then our chicken wings arrived. These were very large for the UK, and smothered in a spicy, smoky BBQ sauce. They were fantastic, and cooked perfectly. Crispy skins with tender meat. Yum!

Our mains were just as impressive. My girlfriend ordered a steak sanwich, and I had a pulled pork burger. Both were enormous! My burger was huge, and filled with perfectly slow cooked pork, and lots of it! There were also mountains of chips on both of our plates, and some salad on the side.
I noticed one of the earlier reviews slating the salad for not having a dressing, but I found it to be spot on, and is authentic to how these dishes are served in the USA.

After eating all that, there as sadly no room for desert.

We went to the counter, and paid straight away. The staff were polite and efficient here.

So, in summary, I thought the place was fantastic. There's definitely some room for improvement on the service and drinks side, but the food was fantastic and the portions very generous. They do an 'all you can eat' buffet on Friday nights, so we'll definitely be going back ASAP. I would whole heatedly recommend Uncle Joe's to anyone who likes American food.

They also advertise American style all day breakfasts, and I'm eagerly looking forward to trying one, given how good they've been when I've been to the Uzs.

Thanks Uncle Joe's!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Very friendly staff”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Great food, great staff and great value for money. Forget likes of F&B's give this place a try, they are working very hard and deserve all the credit and custom they get.

3 Thank boygeorgefan
“So yummy, love this place!”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I have visited the diner twice in the past month and have both times been impressed. The first time I had the New York chicken which was sooo tasty and came with good portions of onion rings, chips, salad and coleslaw. The second time I had the bbq ribs with fries, salad and coleslaw which was amazing and the bbq sauce is out of this world especially accompanying the ribs with meat so soft that it just fell off the bone. The portions are very good and well worth the money. It's definitely a good family restaurant as it isn't too quiet but it's not overly loud either. Each table is slightly private which I quite liked. I think the choices on the menu are really good and it took me ages to decide what to have. Next time I am definitely trying the full breakfast! Overall I just love this place!

York
“Chilli with a bite”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Lunchtime call, midweek, and noticed it on main A64 road from York towards the coast. It was very quiet with just 2 of us and one other diner coming in while we ate.
Typical American roadhouse fare and we chose a Sloppy Joe chilli-burger each. The Sloppy Joe's were not cheap but not overly expensive and were well presented on a very full plate with fries, very nice onion rings, coleslaw and substantial salad garnish. The chilli was a little strong fro my wife so she didn't do the meal justice but it was fine for me and I finished it all, feeling very full afterwards. Cheerful attentive staff attended to us and although the coffee cups were a little small, there were multiple refills included in the price. The atmosphere was a little cold due to lack of diners, but it was clean and bright and nicely decorated with a good selection of American C&W music in the background. Well worth stoking up here if you are on the way to the coast.
Blackboards around the dining room advertised various 'eating challenges' (if you can eat all this within an hour, you can have it for free) including a 6 lb. challenge of mixed meats

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Really enjoyed our visit”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband and I called in here on a wet Wednesay morning en route to Whitby. I had American pancakes from the breakfast menu and my husband had a burger, coleslaw and fries. I think we must have visited a different place to other reviewers as the food was hot, fresh and absolutely delicious. It arrived after no more than a ten minute wait. We were given two refills of coffee each (no suggestion, as other reviewers have claimed, of only one refill) and the waiter was friendly and attentive. My husband, who is VERY difficult to please where restaurants are concerned, claimed that this was the best burger he'd ever had in England! I'm so glad we didn't read trip advisor reviews in advance because if we had we almost certainly wouldn't have called in. We will definitely stop here again.