“Good in parts”

The Olde Windmill Inn
Toronto, Canada
“Good in parts”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I visited the windmill on a Monday, and was greeted by a friendly staff member who conducted me to a beautifully appointed room which I could not fault.
However, my evening meal was at best average, the dessert crumble having suffered from the effects of the microwave, but the major problem was having to fight of the flies during the meal which according to a regular guest, appeared to be a recurrent problem. One local guy spayed his area of the bar at regular intervals.

Room Tip: Take your own fly repellent
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Hingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Just had a meal in the Windmill. Suggest you check if the flies are out before you go in. Our experience was ruined because of all the flies and that was in the bar area around 5hr30 this evening. When I brought this to the attention of the bar staff all they could say was "yes we know about them. We have sprayed the eating areas" and that was it. The food was not great either. so beware, especially if you are taking guests or family for an eating experience. With the prices they charge he customer should get a better deal.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shadoxhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Only stayed one night but was impressed by the large and very clean room. The towelling was probably the whitest we have experienced during stays in many a hotel - an extra mark for that. There was comfortable seating and a good sized TV. The tea / coffee facilities in the room were supplemented by good quality bottles of still and sparkling water and biscuits. Both my wife and I are not good sleepers and although the bed was comfortable, the pillows didn't suit us. (we are fussy and usually take our own but forgot on this occasion). The staff were very friendly and welcoming. The price was very good and we would have no hesitation in recommending the hotel to friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, England
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My wife and I and our dog, stayed there last weekend. We had a wonderful and very enjoyable stay. Our double aspect en-suite room (no 10) was well furnished and had a huge bath and plenty of room for our large dog. The pub was a real charmer with Perino on tap! :-) and the food was beautifully cooked and served very efficiently considering it was busy both Fri and Sat nights.We shall definately be returning, the only downer was that the room did smell a bit when we first arrived (urine), but after we had opened the windows, it disappeared after an hour or so. Hence the 4 stars instead of 5, but it's not really an issue, just a bit overpowering on arrival!

Diss, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

We needed somewhere to stay for a weekend to visit the Houghton Revisited Exhibition and Kings Lynn so I googled the hotels/inns in the area and after reading the reviews booked a nights stay at The Olde Windmill Inn and were not disappointed! We arrived at about 7.00 pm on the Saturday night and checked in and despite them being very busy the young lady showed us to our room which was in the new extension at the rear of the building but all the walkways were under cover. My husband commented that it was one of the best laid out rooms we had stayed in as it had two chairs where several places only have one, there were two lots of toiletries and a well plenished tea/coffee tray including hot chocolate and biscuits! We hadn't booked a table, which I recommend you do as they get very busy, but the young lady said she would go and put reserved on a table for us straight away. We freshened up and then went across for something to eat. The building is a lovely olde worlde building, full of character with lots of small dining areas and filled with lots of olde worlde items too. The menu was very extensive with my husband choosing the Terry's Lemon and Black Pepper Chicken Fillet and I choose the Lamb Steak, both were delicious! We had a treacle sponge pudding and vanilla cheesecake for dessert which were equally as tasty! The waiting staff were all very friendly and helpful. We retired to our room and after a very comfortable night rose to a very delicious and filling breakfast again served by some very friendly and helpful waitresses in very clean and comfortable surroundings. The Inn also has a field that can accommodate a few caravans aswell as a large playarea near the outside eating space.

Crawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We visited the Olde Windmill at Great Cressingham on Friday 19th. We had been recommended to eat here and were very disappointed. The service was well below par, the bar staff were not at all helpful - contrary to their advert, they were most INDIFFERENT! The waitress was most off hand, having plonked our meal on the table, when asked for another round of drinks replied "you have to go to the bar for that". We have never experienced such poor service in what we were lead to believe, by our friends, and the pub reviews, to be an excellent venue.
The food was only average, just warm but not hot.
We would NOT return there, and would certainly not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Not applicable, would not consider staying here. There are far better in the area.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Having booked four weeks in advance for a special 70th birthday celebration (a Sunday roast), I could not have been more dissapointed. Firstly, I requested on two occasions that myself and my 14 guests sat on ONE LONG TABLE. I was assured that this was confirmed, and that we would be sat on the long table in the 'garden conservatory room'. Upon arrival, however, we were confronted with the room laid out with small tables to each seat four people, resulting in us all being split up. Although very dissapointed, I did not complain at this point, as we still had high hopes for the food. The worst was yet to come. All but one of the guests (a vegetarian) had the two course Sunday roast. The plates were cold, the vegetables were more than undercooked, parsnips were barely recognisable, the meat (we believe) was not carved and was stacked up (as if brought out in a stack and re heated), I could go on.......Basically, the whole meal seemed as if it came out of the freezer. And the two sweets offered with this package meal, 'homemade' my foot!! The coffee had to be requested twice at the bar, before it eventually arrived, together with a pot of tea we never ordered. There appeared to be no particular person to whom we could complain to. The waiting staff needed far more guidance as to what they should be doing, and how to offer proper customer service. After our terrible experience, I sought out someone to complain to, only to be told " I will tell the chef". I then was forced to reluctantly pay the bill in FULL. I feel I should have been offered a reduced bill of some sort, or at least something!! I have been in the food and hospitality trade for over 25 years, so I feel that I am well placed to make this review. A dissaterous, and most dissapointing afternoon. A lovely establishment, that could be great, but currently being run very unprofessionally. I can not comment on the hotel side, just from the point of view of having an afternoon meal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
#2 of 7 in Thetford
Broom Hall Country Hotel
Broom Hall Country Hotel
#1 of 1 in Saham Toney

Been to The Olde Windmill Inn? Share your experiences!