“A lovely welcome and food the match”

The Old Ram Coaching Inn
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Old Ram Coaching Inn offers charming family and dog-friendly accommodations in Tivetshall St Mary, Norfolk. Guests can enjoy the on-site bar and restaurant. Every room is equipped with a flat-screen TV. Certain rooms include a sitting area where you can relax. You will find a kettle in the room with a selection of hot drinks. All rooms are equipped with a private bathroom equipped with a bathtub. For your comfort, you will find free toiletries and a hairdryer. A range of activities are available in the area, such as biking and hiking. Norwich is 15 miles from The Old Ram Coaching Inn, and Ipswich is 25 miles away. The nearest airport is Norwich International Airport, 18 miles from The Old Ram Coaching Inn.
Norwich, United Kingdom
“A lovely welcome and food the match”
Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I dropped in at short notice, to a nice relaxed atmosphere and attentive staff. The main eating area was almost full but we were promptly served. A good menu, and fresh produce on offer. We had a rib eye steak and a fresh cod. The cod was excellent, the rib eye was slightly over done but probably due to being on the sizzler too long before I ate it. The Adnams didn't appear to be at its best, but drinkable. A lovely venue. Overall I would rate this as very good, but hope the new owners can get to perfection. We will return to check on progress soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Pulham Market, United Kingdom
“Good pub grub”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

New owners have done a good job of bringing back to life this pub. Good food and excellent service. Will be a regular.

• Visited June 2014
Suffolk
“Uninviting and snooty”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

We stopped here Saturday evening with eating in mind, all the tables were set up with paper napkins in wine glasses. We immediately felt unwelcomed, we just ordered a drink and sat outside. £4.60 for two halfs of lager! We pay those prices in London, but not East Anglia. The staff, although seemingly plentiful were too wrapped up in conversation with each other to acknowledge us and make us feel welcome. The lady who served us the drinks was in conversation with one of her colleagues and I believe here only words to me were, to ask for the money. After drinking our drinks, we went inside to investigate food as it was our sole reason for stopping. Unfortunately there was a stale underlying food smell in the depths of the dining area which ultimately sealed our decision to look elsewhere.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Ricamundo
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The old ram disappoints”
Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Decided to try the old Ram as under new management and we used to love it back in the day.

Sounded like the food had improved but we were very disappointed. Nicely presented but the chips were bullet hard on the outside and dry as a bone inside. I had sweet chilli chicken with veg which was cooked ok and nice tasting but the brocolli was very hard and not cooked through enough.

Unfortunately the rump steak was very gristly and hard to eat...altho cooked rare as requested. Re the salad..I tried some of the red onion but it was crinkly and white..the way it gets when its been around a while. So I didnt fancy trying the rest of the salad.

All in all a big disappointment. I love the pub and was hopeful it might have returned to its former glory. As it is we wont be going back. :(
I might add that the table next to us seemed to be leaving with most of its food untouched and they had only ordered chips salad and toasted sandwiches...so I dont think it was just us. Sorry... cos I love this pub and would love it to get back on track.

1 Thank Liz L
Maitland, Florida
“Under new ownership and serving excellent food”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

This 17th century coaching inn has been renovated while retaining the historic interior. The pub was often frequented by airmen of the 8th Air Force during WWII, particularly from the nearby base of the 100th Bomb Group at Thorpe Abbotts. In addition to the regular menu there is a blackboard menu of specials and everything we tried was excellent. The staff are very attentive and service was great. We ate there 3 times during our visit to East Anglia. It's only a few minutes drive from Diss.

• Visited May 2014