“First class fish restaurant”

Bure River Cottage Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 9 Restaurants in Horning
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Delicious mussels in a lovely white wine sauce, followed by lovely, soft, flavoursome Halibut then finished off beautifully by white chocolate cheesecake with yummy rhubarb. What's not to like! Great restaurant, modern surroundings, attentive, friendly staff. Very reasonable prices for the quality of the cooking and ingredients. A must visit if you are in the area.

1  Thank Ritawasscott

Reviewed March 7, 2014

Speaking as someone who really doesn't like fish, having been put off by the ghastly fried stuff served in the Mediterranean - OK, I like fish and chips but really it is the batter I go for - I am probably not the best person to write a review of a fish restaurant. I went there in order to appease my fish-loving hard-done-to wife who rarely gets to see the sea or eat fish (other than fish and chips) because she generously agreed to take my mother away to Norfolk for a holiday.

After a quiet day on the Broads - lovely weather, but few boats around, it was a quiet evening at the restaurant. In trepidation I made my order; fishcake for starters, cod in pancetta (yes - I got the meat!) for the main course, while my wife had clams followed by bream. And it was delicious. My fishcake was fishy, crusty and melted in the mouth, while the cod was cooked to perfection. Worse still, I kept stealing the wife's clams as though I enjoyed them (which I did). OK, the bream wasn't to my taste, butter and fish are not a good mix for my, but the wife really enjoyed it. The wine was good, the service attentive and positive, the desserts were fine, and the décor was comfortable.

I read the less positive reviews and sometimes I do wonder about people. Why go to a fish restaurant and then complain that there is only fish on the menu. That's the point folks. Bland? Well, I think the focus is on the quality of the fish, not covering it with Bisto and hoping no one will notice that the fish is 14 days old.

Do I have a complaint? Only that now the wife will now be getting me to eat more fish.

1  Thank jake1642
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We had a meal on Friday night which was superb. Lemon Sole comes highly recommended. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and were lucky enough to get a table at the last minute. Make sure you pre-book so you are not dissappointed. The desserts were also delicious. Well worth spending that little bit extra.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

Excellent fish, interesting and varied wine list, unpretentious efficient service. Can't fault it. We've been going here for several years and it never changes which might sound like a negative, but it isn't, they got it right when they opened and have remained consistant ever since. If your a steak man or you hunger for a mixed grill, it's not for you. They do fish, fish and more fish. Portion sizes are just right, you can have three enjoyable courses and leave feeling comfortably fed. Again if you want portions to feed an entire rugby team your in the wrong place, and I don't care if you don't like it, cos you'll only go in on a night when I'm there and I'll have to listen to your whining drivel. Price wise, you get's what you pay for and I still class this in the value for money category. Highly recommended.

1  Thank DavidA689
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We hadn't been to the River Cottage for a little while and were very sorry it had been so long. My wife had goujons followed by Brill and I had the scallop's followed by Brill. We both enjoyed our meal and will be back soon. The service was top notch and the whole evening was a delight especially since the new heating system was running well.